CO, CA guy in TX flatland
    Mar 2008

Scott Spark Jr 20"

JUSt wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike? Is the rear dérailleur upgradeable to say an Acera or Alivio

mtbr member
    It should be, though the cassette is a 6-speed. If the indexing matches, your local bike shop should be able to set it up properly by using the limiting screws to keep it out of 1 and 8 or 7 and 8. Or you may have to get a new shifter to match the 8-speed indexing and have them set the screws accordingly. Or they may be able to replace the derailleur, cassette and shifter at once with matching parts.

I'd call ScottUSA directly and ask for their input as well. 800-292-5874

My son rides a 2003 Specialized 6 speed with a garbage rear derailleur. I keep after it for lubrication and adjustment and it hasn't given us any problems. You may not need to upgrade since your child won't be inflicting anywhere near the torque or wear that an adult would.

Good luck.

Mar 2008
    Fuzz:

Thanks, yeah I went with the Scott, Seems like a great bike for $350. I mean the Ibex is $380 with shipping (sold out too) the Kona Shred 2.0 is $449 and is only a 7 speed... The Scott as a 12 speed and should serve him well for the next two years or so...

mtbr member
    Don't let him see this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=395643

Mar 2008
    HEHEHE, you got my wheels turning... ut oh... maybe for his next bike... I ordered the Scott today.

Members who have read this thread: 0