mtbr member
    Oct 2008

SC, Banshee or Yeti

. Hi, I was wondering if anyone culd help me out. I'm pretty stuck between these three models.
    1. Santa Cruz Heckler
    2. Banshee Wildcard (I know this is Freeride, but can it be built to all-mountain?)
    3. Yeti 575

I like riding trails, single tracks and I do some uphills but i love downhills. To make it easier, you can say I'm kinda looking for an all round bike. Anyone with experience on these frames?

I plan to use either of these forks too.
    1. 2009 Domain 318 Coil U-Turn (115-160mm)
    2. 2009 Pike 454 Coil U-Turn (95-140mm)
    3. 2008 Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 (100 to 140mm)

Can anyone give their opinion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd say that the Banshee Rune would be the better suited to you than the wildcard. maybe you should look into it if you haven't already.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by jayng
    . Hi, I was wondering if anyone culd help me out. I'm pretty stuck between these three models.
    1. Santa Cruz Heckler
    2. Banshee Wildcard (I know this is Freeride, but can it be built to all-mountain?)
    3. Yeti 575

I like riding trails, single tracks and I do some uphills but i love downhills. To make it easier, you can say I'm kinda looking for an all round bike. Anyone with experience on these frames?

I plan to use either of these forks too.
    1. 2009 Domain 318 Coil U-Turn (115-160mm)
    2. 2009 Pike 454 Coil U-Turn (95-140mm)
    3. 2008 Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 (100 to 140mm)

Can anyone give their opinion?
    I think that you should consider the RUNE over the Wildcard for all mountain. I think that all your bikes are pretty good. The choice of forks, depends, for the Rune or Wildcard I would go Domain because of the travel, while the Pike is an excelent fork for the Heckler or Yeti.

The Yeti and Heckler have been on the market for a long time, and their proven designs. But, I really like the Rune, I've seen one and I think it's a pretty good ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey guys, Thanks for all the input. Actually, I'm only looking at these 3 brands and bikes. Basically for looks and brand. I've seen the RUNE, and really no offence to anyone, I dont like the looks. I think the Wildcard looks way better.

I've been wanting to ask this,

How badly does a wildcard climb? Let's say if you push 100% on a Rune, How hard do you have to push on a Wildcard? 120%? 150% 200%? (Is there even a comparison like this?) Thanks for taking the time to answer my really blur questions.

mtbr member
    heckler with a pike would put a smile on and you can get the frame on sale right now.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jayng
    Basically for looks and brand. I've seen the RUNE, and really no offence to anyone, I dont like the looks. I think the Wildcard looks way better.
    "builttoride" designed the Rune and the Wildcard, so he probably has a good idea about what works.

I have had some similar speculations about the Wildcard Partly it surely depends on what size you are. At about 176cm and shortish legs, I think I could get the seat on a Wildcard high enough for extended pedaling.

But seriously: do you have a chance to test ride any of those bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd say if you gave it 100% on a rune, then with exact same feel to shock set up on the wildcard it would take maybe 120% effort. its not quit as good, but the stiffness of the frame still gives very efficient performance.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've had a hecklar and didn't like it on the climbs.
    I currently have a 575 and really like the ride, its good on the climbs and descends well.
    I mainly use it for cross country.

The only way to find the right bike for you is read reviews from real rides but more important test ride them where you plan to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks! I think I'll be getting the Banshee. Just a matter of time now...

mtbr member
    You could try running a slightly longer, say 70mm, stem on the Wildcard and use it as an all mountain bike. Depending on your fork and rear travel settings, but I don't feel any different climbing the bike than on a SC Nomad, which is what you could probably compare the Rune to.* I'm running my Wildcard with a Pike 426 up front and a Fox DHX Air in the rear at the 5" setting. For climbing, I drop the fork to about 110/120, lock it out and I'm good to go.

* Please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I've never ridden a Rune, but I have had a go on a Nomad.

Members who have read this thread: 0