Same Injury Every Time!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Same Injury Every Time!

So I have been out on the trails about 5 times now and everytime i come back with the same injury. It seems like everytime i have some kind of fall or quick stop, the front chain ring takes a couple good slices out of the back of my leg. This last time it got me pretty good and im tired of this. It isnt something that I can control like just kick my leg out farther, it happens in random falls and such, which I have a good bit of as im just starting out. I ride on the road a lot so I use the third ring a good bit and dont want to replace it with a chian guard. Is there anything that I can put on the bike to protect myself or on myself to protect myself? Thanks for any suggestions.
    David

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidws
    So I have been out on the trails about 5 times now and everytime i come back with the same injury. It seems like everytime i have some kind of fall or quick stop, the front chain ring takes a couple good slices out of the back of my leg. This last time it got me pretty good and im tired of this. It isnt something that I can control like just kick my leg out farther, it happens in random falls and such, which I have a good bit of as im just starting out. I ride on the road a lot so I use the third ring a good bit and dont want to replace it with a chian guard. Is there anything that I can put on the bike to protect myself or on myself to protect myself? Thanks for any suggestions.
    David
    There are shin guard out there that wrap around the whole leg, this may help a lot in protecting your calves. I do not wear any so I can't recommend any brand. I think there is a thread somewhere on the first page of the downhill and freeride board about pads right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am new as well, wouldnt a bash guard help? I want one for my motobecane 400ht but have no clue which to get (size mostly).

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I use a soccer shin guard on that leg (the kind that are just a piece of plastic that slide down into a "sock" tube) and just wear it on the inside instead of over my shin. Works fine, is reasonably comfortable (a little sweaty, but that's life), and seems to do it's job (there are some nice chunks out of it at this point).

Apparently they make guards like this specifically for biking; something I wasn't aware of when I got the soccer guards and may look into for future use as they are probably slightly more comfortable and cover more.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoguy
    I am new as well, wouldnt a bash guard help? I want one for my motobecane 400ht but have no clue which to get (size mostly).
    How many chainrings do you have up front? You can only have two if you want a bashguard, so you need to drop the bigger ring(if you have 3).

Then you simply count the number of teeth on the middle ring(the second) and this will tell you what size bashguard you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Im really glad to hear im not the only one with this problem. I asked a guy at the trail the other day what he did and he just looked at me like i was crazy, said he never had that problem. I was thinking about the soccer guards as well but would prefer the bashguard. I have 3 rings up front and have read in a couple places that you can get a bashguard without sacrificing your big ring but i dont know if these are quality stuff or not. Anyone have a bashguard with a big ring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you don't want to take off the big ring, I say a bash guard w/big ring protector is the way to go!!! A few companies make them. Blackspire has two. The C4 is light. The "Big Ring" is not so light!!! http://www.blackspire.com/chain-guards/

mtbr member
    david, sorry to hear your having problems, dude, ive never had that problem either. could it be poor positioning with your foot on the pedal? just throwing out ideas... good luck and have fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep, I had the same problem, but not often. I agree (mother), you may want to check out your pedals or perhaps do clipless. If you decide to buy a bash guard, make sure it's the same manufacturer and the screws are included.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Im using clipless. The cleats are as far back as they will go on my Sidi Blaze (are these good by the way?) shoes. It happened on the way up a rocky hill where i lost momentum, couldnt unclip (it was the first time out with clipless) and fell over the left side and my leg just got sliced up. But your right, my injuries are not even close to what i was getting with platform pedals.

mtbr member
    "Doc, it hurts when I do this"

"Well stop doing that."
    Hiking and biking to get away from man's madness and enjoy God's creation for a bit.

-Dave

Double-metric mtb man
    Maybe a bash plate is the way to go.

I have one (eNVy Ring Thing) for all the trees I come across on my local trails (mostly river valley with busy beavers). I still have all 3 rings, I just have a thin aluminum plate attached to the outside of my big ring. For colder weather it also keeps the long pants out of the teeth too.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Members who have read this thread: 0