Saddle position- Mtbr.com

Thread: Saddle position

Apr 2004

Saddle position

I'm new to the sport and am having a hard time with my seat. On long rides it gets pretty uncomfortable. I really like the sport and wish to continue riding. Is there hope for a comfortable ride? Any suggestions on saddle positions?

Apr 2004
    I've read (in Ned Overend's book) that ideally you should have the seat horizontal or tilted slightly forward and positioined so that when your feet are on the pedals at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, your front leg has a 90 degree bend in it. He also says to set the seat height at 80% of your inseam as measured from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat. hope that helps

Apr 2004
    Thanks for the tip! I also hear that it helps to point the nose of your saddle down a bit to help eleviate some of the discomfort. I bought a shock absorber seat post and that has helped the ride somewhat. Just want to be able to father children some day!

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRob
    Thanks for the tip! I also hear that it helps to point the nose of your saddle down a bit to help eleviate some of the discomfort. I bought a shock absorber seat post and that has helped the ride somewhat. Just want to be able to father children some day!
    Take it from me Rob, keep that saddle nose up, sharp and hard. Fathering children has a massive negative effect on the money you have available for gear acquisition as well as seriously eating into your available trail-time.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Heeley
    Take it from me Rob, keep that saddle nose up, sharp and hard. Fathering children has a massive negative effect on the money you have available for gear acquisition as well as seriously eating into your available trail-time.
    Isn't that what your wife is for?? Not to worry, that won't be for a while! Still got a lot of adventures to embark upon first.

Jan 2004

My two cents

As saddles go, usually the squishier the faster they become uncomfortable on a ride. The more contact you have with the saddle, the more places to rub. Saddles are much like a pair of new shoes too. They're hard to fit, hard to break in, but once you've found your saddle, you'll be pretty partial to that one style. As blisters from new shoes go away, so will saddle sores if that's the problem you are having.

In terms of position of the saddle, it wouldn't hurt, being new to the sport, to stop by the local bike shop and ask. Cycling people are generally a fountain of information, and getting the right position will impact how sore you are after a ride, after a week or riding, and how your joints hold up after a season. It wouldn't take but a minute for the guy to look at your leg position and make a few changes. MOST people who start out in the sport have their seat too low...that will wear you out fast.