Tossin the salad.

Roof Rack Recommendation?

Hello -

I am in need for a Roof Rack for two bikes to fit on my OEM Subaru roof rack and I been eye-balling 4 different ones.

Anyone experienced any of these? Which one would you recommend? Many thanks

* Yakima 2064 CopperHead

* Thule 599xtr Big Mouth Upright

* Yakima 2085 Raptor Upright

* Thule 594 Side Arm Upright

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can't say much about the first three, the I have two of the 594. Uprights are pretty convenient and putting and taking your bike off the rack has never been so easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you go with the regular fork mount, make sure your forks work with the rack you are buying. I can say for a fact that Magura forks don't work with Yakima Steelhead racks. The fork will fit onto the steel bar mount, but the front wheel dropouts on the Maguras are just wide enough to NOT ALLOW you to lock the fork down. The barrel adjuster won't give you enough width to actually get the lock to swing into the lock position. It will only go to about half way.

Just double check your fork compatability with whatever maker you go with. I did find that Thule Peloton rack works fine with my Menja's with no problems. I don't think you will have any issues because the Maguras aren't that popular a fork, and I would think most American forks will work fine. I am just unlucky.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

LAZ
    mtbr member
    I just bought a Barracuda bike rack to go on my OEM VW racks. The thing is slick. Works great.

Ill take a pic this weekend of my new bike set up.

Tossin the salad.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I went out to REI and I got 2 Thule Big Mouth racks. I plan to put them on my Subie later on 2night. From what I read in the reviews its pretty darn good and it only cost me 110.00 each.

I almost got the YAKIMA KING COBRA for 140.00 each. So I saved 40 bux plus I joined REI membership and got another 20% taken off. Can't wait to put it on this puppy:
    Last edited by TX_Shifter; 03-15-2008 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the new Rack.

Tossin the salad.
    2 hrs later here are some pics.

The instructions kind of sucked but it was very easy to figure out.

Both bikes 26er and 24'er both felt very stable and I shook the heck out of it. I plan to ride tomorrow and I'll let you know how it handles the wind and high speed on the highway.
    Last edited by TX_Shifter; 03-15-2008 at 10:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love my rocky mounts I bought. And I splurged and got the urban camo, looks pretty cool on the VW.

Members who have read this thread: 0