LAZ
    mtbr member

Rode my new bike for the 1st time today

Now my drive train has sand all over it!

What;s the best way to clean it? The lube on it is sticky as hell. I thought I could just wipe it down but I cant. Do I have to remove parts or what? Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Hose it down, take some dish soap and a rag and wipe it all down, let it dry and see if theres still lube left, spray it with degreaser let it sit, rinse, maybe wash again if its really that bad

or you could take the chain and put it in mineral spirits and shake like the cleaning guide says to, but that requires tools and extra gear
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    buy a chain remover if you dont have an SRAM chain and go with the mineral spirit cleaning. it's THE best cleaning method out there. period. spring for some chain lube when you buy the tool so you can lube the chain after cleaning it. even if you have an SRAM chain with the quick release link, still buy the tool and carry it with you. you will use it one day on the trail. both lube and tool can be had for under $10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have alwayed used a diluted mixture of simple green and water to clean the drivetrain of my bike. I use a wheel brush to scrub the chain. Use a hose to rinse the bike off, do not use a pressure washer as it will force water into places water does not need to be. When you are done, dry the bike off the best you can. Then lubricate the drivetrain. I use tri-flow and apply it to every pivot and every link of the chain. Let the lube sit on the chain for a while, then wipe off the excess as you do not want it to attract dirt.

LAZ
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I do have a chain tool but I have never used it. Is it a pain in the arse to remove the chain?

What do I do, buy a gallon of mineral spirits and drop the chain in the can? Use a bucket?

Then do I scrub the gears with it also, rinse and lube?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Use mineral spirits in a 2 liter bottle, Drop the chain in ,Shake, Pour out mineral spirits, I usually cut the bottle open to get chain out, wash chain in dish detergent, Rinse, Dry in sun or use a heat gun or hair drier, Lube chain, Wipe the outside clean.
    If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. --- W. Edwards Deming

mtbr member
    oosh_t explained the process for cleaning the chain. I use an old jelly jar instead of the 2 liter bottle but any container will work I guess. Keep the mineral spirits inside the container and the dirt will settle to the bottom in a few days. Pour the good stuff off the top and rinse the rest out.

Taking the chain apart with the tool isn't that hard. Putting it back together can be a little tricky if it's your first time though. I'm sure they will have "how to" guide in the sticky set up for cleaning your bike in the beginner forums. If not, check Shimano's website and find the documents for chains. Or, check Park Tools website and I can guarantee you they will tell you how.

mtbr member
    If you are not comfortable taking off the chain, simple green + toothbrush + massive scrubbing will work.

Then use a dry lube from now on. Sand won't stick to it.

If you have a spare 14 hours, search here for chain lube and start reading.

LAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex
    If you are not comfortable taking off the chain, simple green + toothbrush + massive scrubbing will work.

Then use a dry lube from now on. Sand won't stick to it.

If you have a spare 14 hours, search here for chain lube and start reading.
    Thanks for the replies.

Will the simplegreen act as the degreaser? Then let it dry an re-lube with dry lube?

I have read lots of articles about cleaning the chain and everybody has a different opinion.

I see people talking about detergents like simplegreen and also mineral spirits. Do need to use both of these or do they serve the same purpose?

Thanks, of course I am a noob.

mtbr member
    I think a brush and some degreaser will be the best way to go. Then relube. Don't go taking your chain off - unless you have the SRAM powerlink, you'll need (want) the Shimano replacement pins to put back in the chain in place of the pin you pulled out to remove the chain. I rarely, rarely, remove my chain for cleaning, and I have the powerlink, which makes chain removal a snap.

I typically just wipe down the chain with a rag, brush the cassette and get any crud out, then relube, ride around the block, wipe off any excess and good to go.
    :wq

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I also use a dry wax style lube (as opposed to a wet lube) such as Pedros Ice Wax and have noticeably less stuff sticking to my chain in dusty conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get a sram chain or powerlink, its really really worth it.

ive noticed some people do some crazy things to clean a chain. i pop mine off real quick, spray it with brake clean, 5 seconds later its completely stripped dry of any and all dirt, grease, sand, grime, or anything else. relube and reinstall. next ride i just relube and wipe it down. dont have to make chain cleaning an all day adventure.

if you use degreaser or solvents, you have to get it all rinsed off really well. a lot of solvents arent water soluable, so you'll have to degrease the chain afterwards anyway (ie, mineral spirits), and then dry it really well so it doesnt rust, then lube..

or just hose it down with brake clean. it evaporates almost instantly leaving no residue, so you can skip the entire reclean, rerinse, and dry steps and go straight to lubing it up and being done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'll 2nd Pedro's Ice Wax; good stuff. Keeps things clean and quiet.

one less car
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    DON'T HOSE DOWN!!! water can get into parts of the frame (bottom bracket) and other places and cause RUST!!

Rod
    mtbr member
    I also don't hose my bike down unless it's covered in mud. I'm afraid of forcing water into places where it shouldn't be and if I do use a hose I don't blast my bike with the water. I use only enough pressure to remove the mud. If it's just dirt or sand on your bike a wet or damp cloth should do the trick. For your chain I would follow their instructions and and maybe barely hose that area off with very little pressure.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Members who have read this thread: 0