ripmo af for az trails and new rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

ripmo af for az trails and new rider

hello all,
    So let me start this with the answers to the questions I always see asked in threads about which bike.
    I live in Phoenix az trying to get into mountain biking. Will be taking weekend trips to n. Az and Utah. I have a budget of around 3k. And I don't mind used bikes. I just don't want to spend x amount to get something ill regret. I used to do a lot of bmx dirt jumps. I've been researching bikes and I like the idea of a 29 wheel bike around 150mm travel. But I'm not sure if that would be to much for az trails and beginner. The bike I've been eying is the ibis ripmo af. Any help or suggestions are appreciated

mtbr member
    I live in Phoenix and have a Ripmo. I love the bike, but it is my "big bike" for gnarly terrain. It does well on nearly all terrain, but is overkill for lots of place. Why do you think you need so much travel? My primary bike is a 100mm FS XC bike. That is fine on 75% of the trails here. Even so I have been riding my 29er Singlespeed HT lately as that is really fun.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Ripmo AF is an awesome bike. As far as it being right for you goes, that depends on the type of riding you want to get into. If you just want to ride mellow stuff like Brown's Ranch or Apache Wash, a shorter travel bike would be better suited. If you want to ride Mt. Elden in Flagstaff or South Mountain in Phoenix and focus more on gravity oriented riding it will be perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks JoePAz I dont know that I want such a large travel bike they do seem to draw my attention more than shorter travel. I do know I'm more of an aggressive person when it comes to riding. On motorcycles I ride pretty hard as in fast. But I know in the beginning I won't be hitting anything to gnarly. I'm open to suggestions on shorter travel bikes around the 3k range

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyk View Post
    Thanks JoePAz I dont know that I want such a large travel bike they do seem to draw my attention more than shorter travel. I do know I'm more of an aggressive person when it comes to riding. On motorcycles I ride pretty hard as in fast. But I know in the beginning I won't be hitting anything to gnarly. I'm open to suggestions on shorter travel bikes around the 3k range
    You can ask some of the Arizona/Utah riders what they ride. They can give you guidance for picking a bike that would work for that environment. Like Joe mentioned, a trail bike could be too much travel for down in that area.

Here's the AZ forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thats an issue I have i want to do more gravity oriented riding but I don't know how much I will be doing I live right by skyline and white tanks but go up to flag alot as I grew up there. Being inexperienced makes looking for a bike difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyk View Post
    Thats an issue I have i want to do more gravity oriented riding but I don't know how much I will be doing I live right by skyline and white tanks but go up to flag alot as I grew up there. Being inexperienced makes looking for a bike difficult.
    My advice is actually to go cheap. Cut your budget to 1500-1600 and look for used 120-130mm rear travel bikes (Stevebay is local az facebook group). Get some miles under you and see what you like to ride. Short travel bikes are great in the Phoenix area for a number of the trails. However some places long travel is nice. However if your skills are new most of the time your limit is you not the bike. Probably best to spend less and get a feel for the riding then get bike to match. Hey you might love Singlespeed as they often feel like big BMX. But if you love long travel a Ripmo is great. Tough part is not knowing where you are for riding styles and fun. Nearly always your first mtn bike is starter bike and your 2nd fits your needs more. So don't spend too much on the first.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    AZ guy here. I ride a single speed hardtail 29er because I raced BMX forever and wanted to feel like a kid again and have fun. Itís the most fun I have had on a bike in a long time. I have to stop and wait for my buddies riding their squishy geared bikes, which is good because riding single speed is a ass kicker.