Right hand, front brake?- Mtbr.com
    Knockwood

Right hand, front brake?

My right hand wants to be the one to control the speed of the bike....I still have to think about which hand to use for the front brake. I want to set up my new bike with the front brake lever on the right. I'm sure some of you guys have done it- does it feel as natural as I imagine it will? Has it led to any unexpected spills? Has anyone borrowed your bike and didn't realize that the levers were switched?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can go either or because I ride motorcycles and the front brake is your right hand. But to me on my mtn. bike I want my rear brake on the right. But what ever feels best for you is what you should do.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    That's how my bike is set up - haven't had any problems with that set up whatsoever. A friend of mine tried out my bike, didn't have any problems at the time, but prefered to stay with the set up of having the front brake on the left.

mtbr member
    arent most bikes set up with the rear break on the right? (excuse my ignorance)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHooker47
    arent most bikes set up with the rear break on the right? (excuse my ignorance)
    Yes, but he wants his rear brake to be controlled by his left hand. He wants it set up "moto".

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

There are quite a few....

folks out there that have their bikes set up "Moto" style. Most come from a Motocross backround. We did one jus this week at the shop for one of our customers. But we ONLY do it at the customers request. So if you are getting the bike from a shop you'll have to make sure that they understand what you want. Even then some won't do it due to liability. Stupid I know, but we live in the land of litigation! Just make DARNED SURE that you let anyone you lend the bike to know that it is set up reverse from what they are probably used to. Personally I wouldn't lend it to anyone. Anyway, it's perfectly alright to do as long as it's what comes naturally to you. If it was me, I'd kill myself with a set up like that until I got used to it! And the learning curve would be HIGH, right along with the bruise count!!!

Go for what makes it work for you!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    There's no problem with switching your brakes, just don't forget to warn your buddies about it, and expect that they will forget you did it
    :wq

mtbr member
    Its your bike, you can set it up however you want. As others said it is a personal preference, just make sure you mention it to others IF they throw a leg over your ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I wasn't aware most bikes were set up with the rear in the right. In the UK all bikes I've seen or ridden have the rear on the left.

Maybe it's not only the wrong side of the road we drive on?

mtbr member
    Early on I was thinking about switching to the moto setup as well, but I ended up getting used to the left handed setup. The left handed front brake is common in the states, but in Europe its more common to see the right used for the front.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

Derailleurless
    There are all sorts of theories about why brakes are set up in the order they are.

I've never gotten in to motorcycle riding, but began running "Euro" style about 7 years ago with my first disc brake -- simply because of the cleaner cable routing down the fork.

But what I found is that, as a righty, I really appreciate that my primary hand is in control of my primary (and more sensitive) brake.

I also like the fact that most everything I do with a hand off the grip (drinking, wiping sweat, scratching, etc.) is using my right hand, so I don't have to worry about grabbing a "handful of endo" in a panic stop.

In the end, it's your preference. A lot of riders won't even consider it, they're too used to the conventional setup.

And yes, if you do make the switch, warn everyone who rides your bike. I often forget, and I've pissed some people off because of it!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Yes, but he wants his rear brake to be controlled by his left hand. He wants it set up "moto".
    ok got it... I need to read, understand, then type or in this case if I understood then there would be no typing. hahhahahah

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hhumbert
    My right hand wants to be the one to control the speed of the bike....I still have to think about which hand to use for the front brake. I want to set up my new bike with the front brake lever on the right. I'm sure some of you guys have done it- does it feel as natural as I imagine it will? Has it led to any unexpected spills? Has anyone borrowed your bike and didn't realize that the levers were switched?
    Yes. Almost. Yes.

I've done it. I used to ride motorcycles a lot. When I first got into mountain-biking, I wanted my front brake hand to be the same on either type of bike. It worked out fine. It's all in what you get used to. I switched back to the conventional, left-handed-front-brake approach though, for a couple of reasons: 1) I tend to use my left-hand for other things when I ride one-handed, and I cannot control the bike well when I hit the front brake with only one hand on the bars. 2) I got tired of having to remember whether I was riding my bike, or one of my kids's bikes, or a bike at the LBS. It just seemed easier to follow the crowd.

Once I loaned one of my bikes to a neighbor kid. He took off downhill from my house, hit the "back" brake really hard to stop, and just about flew over the bars. Of course, he'd really hit the front brake. I had forgotten to warn him .

Every once in awhile, I still think about swapping left and right again. But I'm so used to the convention now that I doubt I'll ever bother changing.

Some days I wonder whether I couldn't just get rid of the rear brake altogether.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hehe, here in Australia right hand front, left hand rear is the standard configuration... The 'yankee' method is just so, erm, foreign to most of us.

Members who have read this thread: 0