Riding (sun)glasses?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding (sun)glasses?

I think eye protection is prime...do you guys have an suggestions for glasses with great eye protection

I was thinking of getting Oakley FlakJackets. What you guys think?

One Gear
    Take a look at the transition lenses. They're great for changing light situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like flak jackets pretty well. Lightweight. Oakley has great optics. Very clear. I prefer Oakley Radars better though. Wider lense, more protection, and better view.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have always used Flak Jackets for sports, mainly golf. I started using mine for riding and noticed that since they are only a half frame, that they smudge pretty bad on the lower part of the lenses since I am looking up all the time.

I have been leaning towards RadarLocks or Jawbones due the quick lens swapping and they either have frame between my cheek and lens, or a one-piece nose-piece to keep the smudging down.

Transitions are nice, but spendy, I use the G30 and have no complaints yet.

mtbr member
    Saftey glasses. They are cheap and you can throw them away or use them for chainsaw duty when they get scratched, because they will get scratched.

mtbr member
    You can get fairly cost effective photochromatic lenses (what other folks have been calling transition lenses) if you look at Tifosi or Optic Nerve branded glasses. Of course, I am talking $60-$70 vs $200+ for higher end optics. Most bike shops will carry one or the other along with their higher end stuff. I really prefer the photochromatics for MTBing.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I like sunglasses with the polarized amber lenses since they work well in heavily wooded areas picking up shapes and shadows. Polarization also reduces the glare and sharpens vision while riding. Right now I use my Costa Del Mar sunglasses but want to find a good pair of Oakley's because they are lighter.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I wear a pair of yellow lens safety glasses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cycling specific glasses

So, for you guys wearing regular (read: non-cycling specific) shades, do you have problems with the lenses fogging up? I wear pretty standard polarized sunglasses and have to stay moving to keep them from fogging over, especially now when it's cold. Do cycling glasses adress this? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd5600 View Post
    I wear a pair of yellow lens safety glasses.
    yep. i use the cheap $5 clear ones from home depot since it's really shady where i go

turtles make me hot
    I ride with Wiley X Bricks... Dark polarized ones during the day and clear ones at night.
    They wrap slightly to give great protection. They're motorcycle glasses so I have no issues with them staying put.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    great thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been riding Jawbones since they came out and love them. Would get either Radar Locks or Jawbones. I use VR28 Iridium lens in the summer and Persimmons in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    I think eye protection is prime...do you guys have an suggestions for glasses with great eye protection

I was thinking of getting Oakley FlakJackets. What you guys think?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

****** to the dirt
    I use safety glass and since they can now come polarized it is doing the job well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought a pair of prescription Glasses for riding from Zenni Optics online. Cost $25.95 for the pair plus a few bucks shipping. Mine are clear but will be placing another order for yellow lenses. A friend of mine is a regional manager for an eyeglass store and he mentioned with his discounts couldn't come close to the price from Zenni. Down fall is it take 2-3 weeks for shipping.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Just ordered some totally customized Rx slipjackets for 400. Yeah it would have been over half that amount less expensive to use my approved usstandardissue account from Oakley, but it has such limited customization.

Currently I've been riding with RecSpecs brand and they've been awesome and really don't need a new pair.

730 pm edit....I just did order the 2d lens shade online from usstandardissue for 120 versus the 200 it would have cost at the optometrist. So the discount is not quite as steep when not ordering frames too but still..a good deal.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 12-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Never Forget 9-11
    I ride with some by Tifosi.

Tifosi Optics Sunglasses - Tyrant

I use the amber lens and they're the only pair I've used that don't slide down my nose no matter how much I sweat.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    cheap replaceable safety glasses ftw

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like Tifosi sunglasses. Some come with multiple lenses, and they aren't too pricey. They also don't fog up like some other sunglasses that I've tried.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Used to wear my Oakleys but now I'm a fan of the safety glasses. Can pick up some wrap around tinted/clear/polarized for $5 and not worry about dropping them or getting them dirty and scratched.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    fine w my Oakley flak jackets

mtbr member
    I use to wear standard prescription eye glasses till I had PRK lasik back in October. One of the best decisions of my life. I now have 20/20 vision after wearing glasses for 23 years. Since my surgery I have been wearing Oakley Fives Squared in the polorized falvor. They are light weight, do not fog up, and do not slip off my face like my perscription glasses use to do every bump.

mtbr member
    My friend gave me some Giro Semi Full Sunglasses he had...

Members who have read this thread: 0