Reusable link in my chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reusable link in my chain

Hi guys, I have a KMX C 10 speed chain that has a reusable link. What does that mean? Where is this reusable link? How would I be able to use think link with a broken link?

yes I am a complete n00b when it comes to chains. Thanks.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    You're probably referring to the quick link system or missing link. Your chain should come with a set of these..

since 4/10/2009
    Buy a few extra KMC missing links for emergency splicing of broken chains. Keep in mind, SRAM offers a quick link, which is a similar concept (and they are cheaper)...but they are NOT reusable. You can also use these for emergency repairs.

If I buy a SRAM chain, I keep SRAM's quick links for emergency repair. I install a KMC missing link (reusable one) so that I can remove the chain for cleaning and continue to use the same missing link. I tend to accumulate SRAM links because I only use them for repairs, so I have a bunch.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Now if my chain does break at some point how do I use this missing link to fix it?
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Buy a few extra KMC missing links for emergency splicing of broken chains. Keep in mind, SRAM offers a quick link, which is a similar concept (and they are cheaper)...but they are NOT reusable. You can also use these for emergency repairs.

If I buy a SRAM chain, I keep SRAM's quick links for emergency repair. I install a KMC missing link (reusable one) so that I can remove the chain for cleaning and continue to use the same missing link. I tend to accumulate SRAM links because I only use them for repairs, so I have a bunch.
    Ok I get that. But what's the point of the missing link that's already on my chain?

Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Thanks guys. Now if my chain does break at some point how do I use this missing link to fix it?

The video posted above does a pretty good job of explaining its use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    The video posted above does a pretty good job of explaining its use.
    I've seen the video and I know that it's easy to take the chain on and off. But let's say I have a broken link a few links down then how is this supposed ro help me?

Or do I need another missing link to fix it and the one that comes with the chain is just to take the chain on and off.

I've seen the video and I know that it's easy to take the chain on and off. But let's say I have a broken link a few links down then how is this supposed ro help me?

Or do I need another missing link to fix it and the one that comes with the chain is just to take the chain on and off.

Yes, you use another link to reconnect the chain, carry a couple of spares with you on your rides. I buy them 10 at a time, frequently come across other riders in need of one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Yes, you use another link to reconnect the chain, carry a couple of spares with you on your rides. I buy them 10 at a time, frequently come across other riders in need of one.
    Thanks you so much. And since I have a KMC chain I suppose I can use a Shimano link as they are compatible. Am I right?

Thanks you so much. And since I have a KMC chain I suppose I can use a Shimano link as they are compatible. Am I right?

I use KMC links, have zero experience with Shimano. It would be prudent to test it out before venturing into the wild.

mtbr member

You'd probably need a chain tool to carry with you on the trail. If you do break a chain, its a quick and easy way to get you back riding. But know that you'll be shortening your chain and will have trouble shifting to your biggest cog but at least you're not stranded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Shimano doesn't make/use a removable link,they use a pin that you install with a chain breaker .You can use a KMC link on a Shimano chain. KMC or somebody else makes the Shimano chains.

I like turtles
    The KMC link ("missing link") is a nice one b/c you can re-use it. Just examine the chain carefully and look for the one link that has elongated holes where the pins go. You can break it at this point with a special tool for the purpose or may be able to do this by pushing it together with your hands (can be hard to do). I always carry a chain tool and extra missing link so I can repair a chain break...you would use the tool to remove the broken link and then put it back together with the missing link...its really just to make things easier..you can also use a chain tool to push in/out pins to patch chains back together.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF