Returning bike for the second time in 2 days, am I crazy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Returning bike for the second time in 2 days, am I crazy?

The first bike I got at REI was way too big for me, it was 6:50 on a Sunday night (they close at 7pm) and the guy just wanted to go home, I didn't know anything about bikes and he pretty much didn't explain the top bar sizing issue. (I should've researched more) I then take it back and get a smaller bike but due to a mix up (I had 1 guy helping me, he left and another guy took over) it ends up being too big again!

I feel like such an idiot having to take it back a second time but it's a lot of money for me and I want to get it right. Should I feel embarrassed taking it back again, because I can just imagine the salesmen rolling their eyes when they see me walk in with my bike again. Has anyone else returned a bike multiple times? Luckily REI has a 100% satisfaction return policy.

AZ
    banned
    No , take it back , test out your new pick and make sure its to your satisfaction . Dont go so late that you dont have time to do it right .
    Last edited by AZ; 03-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    If your looking for expert advice...my experience with REI over the years for all product is that you better know what you want. REI's pay is not competitive (I know, I twice was offered jobs there when I worked in the industry) so it would be very rare that you get a knowledgeable staff member to help you. Do some research and make sure you know what you need then go in and get the right product.

Underskilled
    Take it back or you will regret it.

mtbr member
    If you're a newbie, you probably won't know what "feels" right, so you gonna need some help, one way or another. Go to a local bike shop and talk to them, in depth, about how you should fit a bike. Don't feel bad if you don't end up getting the bike there; you'll be able to give them business down the line, with tune-ups, upgrades, etc., because REI will likely not serve you well in those ways. There are also several online resources that prescribe ways to measure your body and determine the bike geometry that should work, at least the ballpark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    take it back BUT don't leave th store again until you are sure that the new bike fits. if it is an issue where you need a different length stem, etc. not sure if REI will sort that out for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be taking it back tonight, I'll just suck it up and deal with it, I spent a lot of money and want to get the right fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Take it back for sure! The pain of embarrassment is far less than the pain of regret.

Members who have read this thread: 0