Results of my first race this morning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Results of my first race this morning

What a crazy weekend at Ridgleand Trails in Mississippi for the 2011 lungbuster www.scrcs.org . Pre-rode the trail for the first time on saturday afternoon and got registered. We took it easy and took breaks, scoped out some of the technical sections and other general stuff. Very intimidating trail for a n00b like myself. Lots of different types of things on this trail. Climbs, up and down switchbacks, small rock gardens, technical turns, more climbs, fast singletrack, small table tops....etc. Really like nothing i have seen before in the area. let alone rode.

Had a tough time sleeping saturday night due to nerves/anxiousness. Woke up early as well and decided to get breakfast and head to the trail early. Glad I did, it was a zoo shortly after. Hung out and double checked my trusty steed. Then they called for the racers to get ready and my stomach fell to the floor. geared up, clipped in, and waited in line. the rest is history....

Started at the back of the pack and just kept pedaling no matter what. Fell 3 times in the first couple miles due to pushing it too hard and not concentrating. Got myself together real quick and throttled it for the rest of the race with little to no issues other than wanting to just stop and catch my breath. Caught and passed a few in my group midway to late in the lap which surprised me and a few from other groups. I think I paced myself well, though i didnt feel like it. Everyone was super courteous and allowed me to pass and wished me luck. i returned the good words back to them. nice to see great sportsmanship.

so on to the good stuff.....

3rd place!
    Cat3 (9.5m single lap), age 20-29

just registered

pre-ride

post-race!

Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    trophy is pretty cool, made out of a tree from the trail construction process and a sprocket.

got some swag too. shirt, hat, etc.. hoping to have some action pics up at some point. have to figure out where they are posted or hosted.

all the riding ive done the past few months really paid off. not to mention all the mtbr tips

mtbr member
    Holy cow!! 3rd on your first race?? Amazing!! Great job! I was hoping you were going to post today. Ive been looking for it all day.

The feeling of being at the start line, waiting for the start of the race is one of the most amazing feelings isnt it?

Im very excited for you. When is your next race? You may not be in Cat3 very long.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Holy cow!! 3rd on your first race?? Amazing!! Great job! I was hoping you were going to post today. Ive been looking for it all day.

The feeling of being at the start line, waiting for the start of the race is one of the most amazing feelings isnt it?

Im very excited for you. When is your next race? You may not be in Cat3 very long.
    i cant tell you how friggin excited i was after crossing the finish line and my buddies wife was like " i think you are the third one back from your group". I absolutely couldn't believe and refused to believe i passed that many from my group (9 total) after starting behind the entire pack. sure enough, the official times popped up... w00t!!!

but before the race i was a nervous wreck. so much anxiety and not being sure of what to expect. it was ALL gone as soon as we took off. after that it was like a blur in my brain. I have never covered that amount of trail in under 51 minutes before, let alone the fact that it was the hardest trail i have yet to ride (climbing and technical stuff). I blazed through in 48:59 .

now i dont have an excuse to be slow on my local trails , LOL!

cat2? no way i would have been able to put that effort into a second lap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    i cant tell you how friggin excited i was after crossing the finish line and my buddies wife was like " i think you are the third one back from your group". I absolutely couldn't believe and refused to believe i passed that many from my group (9 total) after starting behind the entire pack. sure enough, the official times popped up... w00t!!!

but before the race i was a nervous wreck. so much anxiety and not being sure of what to expect. it was ALL gone as soon as we took off. after that it was like a blur in my brain. I have never covered that amount of trail in under 51 minutes before, let alone the fact that it was the hardest trail i have yet to ride (climbing and technical stuff). I blazed through in 48:59 .

now i dont have an excuse to be slow on my local trails , LOL!

cat2? no way i would have been able to put that effort into a second lap.
    I thought that too my first couple of races. By my last 2 races I was wishing there was another lap. Give it time my friend.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    to be 100% honest with you, i could have done a second lap it was so much fun. my time would have been terrible on my second lap though and i would have got in the way of the cat 1s and 2s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    to be 100% honest with you, i could have done a second lap it was so much fun. my time would have been terrible on my second lap though and i would have got in the way of the cat 1s and 2s
    Thats why you give it a few races in Cat3 before you move up. Dont want to hold up the Cat2 guys due to inexperience.

But dont be afraid to shoot for the stars. Set a goal for your racing and go for it.

Whens your next race or are you guys done for the year like we are here in WI?

Just Ride
    congrats!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    great job, sounds like you might have been able to do better with a better start. Congrats.

mtbr member
    thanks folks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nice.

Starts are hard to figure out. Try putting yourself at the front next time and see if you like it. At least a couple of people are going to lead out at a really fast pace, and probably some will pop. You may find you can hang with them and it's where you should be, or you may find it's not. If you're a little further forward when the pack fans out and it stops mattering, though, that's good. Experiment with it. Keep in mind that on some courses, it doesn't really matter, and on some it's huge. Starting near the front isn't really useful if you blow up, but the race winners frequently start at the front and push hard from the gun. So it's a matter of figuring out what kind of pace you can manage.

It's fun when XC courses hit technical features.

If your MTB season is basically over, try cyclocross!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    the race series is over but i believe there are still individual races scheduled through november

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    great race..

mtbr member
    series is over, only individual races left so im not sure when ill make another one. this was a "just for fun" type thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Excellent job Walter. We had a few Memphis guys down there with one winning the juniors class (Dylan).

You should come up to Memphis next year for one of our endurance races. A 6hr race in mid-October (solo or 2 person team) and a 12hr in November (solo or 3 person). I'm planning to run in the 6hrs of Herb race next October (2man team). It should be a 10 mile course by next year and is super-duper fast and flowy.

Larry

mtbr member
    im only in the area until march, im here for training. then back up to upstate new york which i have been told has great trails.