Replacing Fork- Mtbr.com

Thread: Replacing Fork

Latimja
    Feb 2005

Replacing Fork

I just got a Cannondale super z 500 I am trying to replace the head shock with ne fork shocks. I've taken everything apart and the fork or head shock will not come off. Any advice would be great.
    Vote for Marco Esquandolis, not Pedro!

Probably drunk right now

Local Bike Shop

Quote Originally Posted by latimja
    I just got a Cannondale super z 500 I am trying to replace the head shock with ne fork shocks. I've taken everything apart and the fork or head shock will not come off. Any advice would be great.
    First, I've not heard of a Super Z. I've heard of a Super V. What is a "ne" fork? If you've taken "everything apart" then the Headshock and fork should have fallen off.

Take the bike in to a C-Dale dealer. A Super V is an old and inefficient bike. If you were to replace the headshock with a standard shock, the shock would be worth more than the bike.

You would be much better served by saving your money and buying a new bike.

Is this the bike you're hitting 7' drops with?

Ken

Dirt Burner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC

Is this the bike you're hitting 7' drops with?

Ken

Good Question Ken - 7 foot drops with a super V - now that I would like to see.

If you have taken everything loose then like Ken has said the fork should almost fall right out. At this point it may be better to take it to a LBS that is a Cannondale dealer. If the bearings are bad they may be creating a bind and not allowing the fork to slide out - time for the huge rubber hammer!!
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

Latimja
    Feb 2005

Super V

I take my hardtail fisher off of the the jumps. The ne ment to be the. This cannondale is worth at least 1000$ I not a piece of junk I just got offered 1500 for it. All custom parts and I fix bikes as a hobby so this is my fixer upper. I own 3 sets of judy's i wanted to put them on there. so im not wasting any money.

Old man on a bike
    No offense, but if you're an experienced mechanic, what are you posting here for? Why are your posts so lacking in detail for the help requested (other than your prodigious jumping ability)?

What fork are you replacing the headshock unit with? What did you do to uninstall the headshock? Without a description of what you've done/not done, kind of hard for anyone to give you any suggestions.

You certainly seem to have some insane resale values in your neighborhood...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by latimja
    I take my hardtail fisher off of the the jumps. The ne ment to be the. This cannondale is worth at least 1000$ I not a piece of junk I just got offered 1500 for it. All custom parts and I fix bikes as a hobby so this is my fixer upper. I own 3 sets of judy's i wanted to put them on there. so im not wasting any money.
    Let me get this straight, you want to drop a Judy on a Super V and take that off 7 ft drops. I hope your health insurance is paid up.

Sure you can take your Tass off a 7 ft jump. You could do it several times, but eventually it going snap on you. Same goes for the V. These bikes are designed to take some abuse but not what you?re dishing out. They?re trail bikes not free ride bikes.

BTW, I would take it $1500 dollars for the V and put toward a really free ride bike like the Cannondale Gemini or Specialized Demo. If you going to do urban assault/free ride, you really need a machine design for it.

Latimja
    Feb 2005

You'll Understand when you see the videos

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    Let me get this straight, you want to drop a Judy on a Super V and take that off 7 ft drops. I hope your health insurance is paid up.

Sure you can take your Tass off a 7 ft jump. You could do it several times, but eventually it going snap on you. Same goes for the V. These bikes are designed to take some abuse but not what you?re dishing out. They?re trail bikes not free ride bikes.

BTW, I would take it $1500 dollars for the V and put toward a really free ride bike like the Cannondale Gemini or Specialized Demo. If you going to do urban assault/free ride, you really need a machine design for it.
    Man these jumps are nothing I canondandle this cannondale is freaking sweet it can atke some abuse. Don't hat just participate.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Silly enough to be a troll...

For all I know, you could be a troll, but in case you're not:

1) If you were offered $1500 for a used Super z (V) 500, you should have taken it. The bike originally sold for much less.

2) Seven foot drops on a GF Tass (one of the best entry-level XC bikes on the market) or a Cannondale Super V is only betting on WHEN they will break, not IF. I second the earlier recommendation on a Giant STP, a Specialized P bike or even a Cannondale Chase to name a few. These are not high priced bikes, but are designed for more abuse than what you are on.

3) Putting a RS Judy on either bike will not likely make it any stronger.

4) You are already breaking seats and blowing out tires. This should serve as a warning that you are on the wrong equipment.

5) The questions you have been posting don't inspire confidence in your bicycle knowledge. No offense, it may be there, but it just hasn't surfaced yet.

I have a Super V and probably think higher of them than most riders do and I think you are heading straight for disaster. You remind me of the guys in RC racing that keep breaking a-arms and finally decide that they need beefier a-arms and then all their problems will be solved. Nope. Now they start cracking the chassis where they mount to the a-arms and crying the blues because a chassis is a lot more expensive than a-arms and take more time to replace. The thinking is flawed. You are riding bikes that were never intended to do what you are asking them to do. Putting a few beefy parts here and there is just going to transfer that fatal stress to a different part of the bike until you break the whole thing or until you are no longer able to ride it yourself. All the cutsie-pie sayings about hating and participating are not going to be much comfort for injuries that may hamper you for the rest of your life.

Do all the seven foot drops you want, but doing them on equipment not designed for the task is nothing short of foolish.

I hope you realize that people here are hoping to help you avoid injury or worse. I try not to stereotype, but my guess is that you are pretty young . There is an old cutsie-pie saying about fighter pilots that I will leave you with:

There are old fighter pilots and there are bold fighter pilots, but there are no old, bold fighter pilots.

If you still choose to be a hard head, I urge you to videotape ALL of your stunts. I look forward to seeing them on TV on shows like AFV, Max-X and Outdoor Outtakes. Oh, and don't forget to smile as you auger in. Regards,

Latimja
    Feb 2005

Quit Hating and let me Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    For all I know, you could be a troll, but in case you're not:

1) If you were offered $1500 for a used Super z (V) 500, you should have taken it. The bike originally sold for much less.

2) Seven foot drops on a GF Tass (one of the best entry-level XC bikes on the market) or a Cannondale Super V is only betting on WHEN they will break, not IF. I second the earlier recommendation on a Giant STP, a Specialized P bike or even a Cannondale Chase to name a few. These are not high priced bikes, but are designed for more abuse than what you are on.

3) Putting a RS Judy on either bike will not likely make it any stronger.

4) You are already breaking seats and blowing out tires. This should serve as a warning that you are on the wrong equipment.

5) The questions you have been posting don't inspire confidence in your bicycle knowledge. No offense, it may be there, but it just hasn't surfaced yet.

I have a Super V and probably think higher of them than most riders do and I think you are heading straight for disaster. You remind me of the guys in RC racing that keep breaking a-arms and finally decide that they need beefier a-arms and then all their problems will be solved. Nope. Now they start cracking the chassis where they mount to the a-arms and crying the blues because a chassis is a lot more expensive than a-arms and take more time to replace. The thinking is flawed. You are riding bikes that were never intended to do what you are asking them to do. Putting a few beefy parts here and there is just going to transfer that fatal stress to a different part of the bike until you break the whole thing or until you are no longer able to ride it yourself. All the cutsie-pie sayings about hating and participating are not going to be much comfort for injuries that may hamper you for the rest of your life.

Do all the seven foot drops you want, but doing them on equipment not designed for the task is nothing short of foolish.

I hope you realize that people here are hoping to help you avoid injury or worse. I try not to stereotype, but my guess is that you are pretty young . There is an old cutsie-pie saying about fighter pilots that I will leave you with:

There are old fighter pilots and there are bold fighter pilots, but there are no old, bold fighter pilots.

If you still choose to be a hard head, I urge you to videotape ALL of your stunts. I look forward to seeing them on TV on shows like AFV, Max-X and Outdoor Outtakes. Oh, and don't forget to smile as you auger in. Regards,
    Don't hate on my bike I'll post elsewhere from now on thanks for the criticism.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Dude,

I don't hate your bike(s). I have touted and recommended the GF Tass to many people on this very board for XC riding and I have owned a Cannondale Super V myself since 1999 (one of four Cannondales inhabiting my garage right now). How is that hating your bike(s)?

A couple of examples of my Tass hating:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=tass

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=tass

I only said you have the wrong tool for the job you are asking it to do. Myself and others can tell it to you a million times, but we can never understand it for you. That is up to you. I won't let you try to twist my words to make it seem like I hate your bikes as that is far from the truth.

If you don't believe anyone here, try e-mailing Gary Fisher or Cannondale and asking them if either of the bikes you have are up to the task you ask of them.

If you want sugar coated patronizing responses, this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I'd be very surprised if you get any different answers no matter where you post this. Peace.

Old man on a bike
    Maybe we should let Darwinism take its course....but wait, there's video...somewhere
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Probably drunk right now

Of Course There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Maybe we should let Darwinism take its course....but wait, there's video...somewhere
    There's video of these 7' hucks. There's video of carbon fiber failing catastrophically and sending the rider to the hospital. There's video of someone beating Lance on a mountain bike because "everyone" knows that Lance can't ride mountain bikes.

Mountain biking urban legands.

Dirt Burner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC

Mountain biking urban legands.

Isn't that a new show on the Fox Network? I think it comes on after world's scariest places
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

Bike to the Bone...
    Okay, I've seen some Super-V here, they don't look that bad, but I wouldn't use them for drops. I do think that one must use a bike for the intended use, some bikes are more flexible than others, so I don't know if the GF or the Super-V is what Latimja needs.

Actually, he didn't mentioned the 7" drops, so I can't asume that he wants the GF for those drops, maybe he does 3" and maybe that's fine. Someone else brought up the 7 foot drops.

But I do agree that he isn't specific in mentioning what he did to try to remove the headset. I would have taken the 1,500, since I don't think the bike is worth it to someone else. Maybe he has some sentimental value on the bike, or he has replaced the full groupo to XTR, put Hope hydros and Mavic Crossmax SL wheel set. But even then, I do think it is valid to try to update the bike if he has some spare shocks. If he doesn't want to do 20 foot drops on his super-v, just better his trailbike, I think that exchanging his fork may work very nicely, and smarter than guetting a newer bike that he doesn't need. I just think Latimja needs to bring more info on what's he wants to use the Super-V for, and what he has done to the bike.

Probably drunk right now

For clarity...

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Okay, I've seen some Super-V here, they don't look that bad, but I wouldn't use them for drops. I do think that one must use a bike for the intended use, some bikes are more flexible than others, so I don't know if the GF or the Super-V is what Latimja needs.

Actually, he didn't mentioned the 7" drops, so I can't asume that he wants the GF for those drops, maybe he does 3" and maybe that's fine. Someone else brought up the 7 foot drops.

But I do agree that he isn't specific in mentioning what he did to try to remove the headset. I would have taken the 1,500, since I don't think the bike is worth it to someone else. Maybe he has some sentimental value on the bike, or he has replaced the full groupo to XTR, put Hope hydros and Mavic Crossmax SL wheel set. But even then, I do think it is valid to try to update the bike if he has some spare shocks. If he doesn't want to do 20 foot drops on his super-v, just better his trailbike, I think that exchanging his fork may work very nicely, and smarter than guetting a newer bike that he doesn't need. I just think Latimja needs to bring more info on what's he wants to use the Super-V for, and what he has done to the bike.
    He mentioned the 7' drops in another post. It really depends on what fork he's replacing. If he's going to a fork that costs more than the bike, he would be better served getting a new bike with the money. If he's replacing the headshock with a standard fork, he's going to need to include a headset adaptor on to his list of things to buy.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here this will get you up to speed:

Here the post where he claims he's doing 7ft jump with his Tass:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83529

Here the post where he's talking about doing 30 ft drop with the new super V:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...870#post735870

I really want to see the video of the 30ft jump on the Super V.
    Last edited by wraith; 03-10-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Here this will get you up to speed:

Here the post where he claims he's doing 7ft jump with his Tass:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83529

Here the post where he's talking about doing 30 ft drop with new super V:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...870#post735870

I really want to see the video of the 30ft jump on the Super V.
    Oh, Ok, I stand corrected on the drops. I also think it would be nice to look at that video, since it would be a one time only drop for that bike. After that, maybe he can sell the remaining components that survived the drop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, Ok, I stand corrected on the drops. I also think it would be nice to look at that video, since it would be a one time only drop for that bike. After that, maybe he can sell the remaining components that survived the drop.
    I guess the proceeds from the sale could go toward his medical bills.

Dirt Burner
    I guess the proceeds from the sale could go toward his medical bills.

Or to a memorial - it would say something like
    " he lived fast and died of a sever case of stupidity"
    - Ted Nugent