Replacing chain for the first time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Replacing chain for the first time

I'm going to replace a chain. Does it matter whether one side is facing in towards the frame vs outwards towards the pedals? Also, I cannot seem to find a master pin for the old chain. Does it really matter? Can I just push out any link since I'm not going to be using the chain anymore?

Also, looks like the new master pin has a point - once again does it matter whether it's pointing in towards the bike frame or out towards the pedal? The new chain is a Shimano XTCN-HG93 9-Speed Chain

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Enthusiast
    Yes, you can push out any link on the old chain. No worries about doing that. It's actually common for chains not to have master-links these days.

It does not matter which side of the new chain faces the bike.

That new pin has a point to help you insert it into the link. It's got a place where you can snap it off afterwards, right? You insert that pin. The point comes out the other side. The crack comes out the other side. You make sure everything is positioned right. Then you snap off the pointy part of the pin. I have never worried about which side faces the bike.

May 2009
    Some newer 10 and 11 speed drivetrains require the chain face one way but most mountain drivetrains dont.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thx. How do you break it off - the pin that is?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmster
    thx. How do you break it off - the pin that is?
    Give it a quick snap with some pliers.

mtbr member
    Consider a SRAM chain. It will have a "powerlink" that slips together (and apart) making the chain simple to install, remove, reinstall.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    Consider a SRAM chain. It will have a "powerlink" that slips together (and apart) making the chain simple to install, remove, reinstall.
    so does KMC and Wippermann
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Chain installed but

in joining the chain - afterwards I realized the chain was longer than the one I was replacing so I had to open up the chain again and when I rejoined it a very very small sliver of metal came out once I got the link back in the chain. I'm wondering is that something that will significantly weaken the chain? Did I ruin it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    check out the link for instructions esp the note for figure A & B.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830686193.pdf

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmster
    in joining the chain - afterwards I realized the chain was longer than the one I was replacing so I had to open up the chain again and when I rejoined it a very very small sliver of metal came out once I got the link back in the chain. I'm wondering is that something that will significantly weaken the chain? Did I ruin it?
    You probably didn't ruin the chain, but you may ruined the pin. Did you push out the connecting pin or one of the other ones? Once Shimano pins have been installed in the chain, they really shouldn't be removed again, unless you're throwing out the whole thing anyway. Your LBS probably carries them in a 5-pack, although your chain may have come with some extras anyway.

Remove any pins you've reinstalled and rejoin the chain with new connecting pins. Then go ride. Keep one or two pins in your trailside repair kit.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0