replacement chain...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

replacement chain...

Is there any special chain needed for mountain bikes? Does brand name mean a better chain? There are some cheap chains at walmart, are these "narrow chains" and are there different kind of chains for the amount of speeds on a bike. Ie, the general, 21 speed or 7 x 3.

Thanks for any insight on chains!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sram tends to make a better chain in my opinion. I use the 9speed Sram 971.

local trails rider
    You need a different chain for 9 speed rears.
    Take a look at Shimano's instructions for chains:
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cy...9830558543.pdf

mtbr member
    Stay away from WalMart chains, I think these are designed for 5, 6, and 7 speed drivetrains for the most part. A Shimano or SRAM product would be my recommendations. I use a Shimano CN-7701 (XTR), but the lower priced HG-73 (LX) seems to be just as durable, just less corrosion resistance. I personally have had better luck with Shimano chains that SRAM chains, but both are quality products and either would be a good choice.

I am the law
    May 2006
    If you're willing to spend a little more than the average chain, I'd say try a Rohloff chain. Read the reviews on it and you'll see that many people are impressed with 'em. One problem, however, is that it is hard to find in the U.S. I ordered mine from Germany. So far so good after one ride but I haven't had many miles on it yet. I always carry a chain that has a powerlink or something similar with me on the trail. If the chain breaks, I want to be able to put on another one with minimal fuss. My vote is for SRAM or Rohloff. Stay away from the Wippermans.

mtbr member
    I agree, sram is best. The powerlink makes it worth it, stay away from walmart chains, too wide and probably not very durable.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

Members who have read this thread: 0