mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Removing XTR logo

I am locking my bike up sometimes in a high-traffic public area at night. The XTR v-brakes are advertising I would prefer not to have. Is there a way to remove the XTR decal (is this a decal?) without damaging the brake arm surface? Would this method work for the XT on my mega 9 cranks?

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaAna12 View Post
    I am locking my bike up sometimes in a high-traffic public area at night. The XTR v-brakes are advertising I would prefer not to have. Is there a way to remove the XTR decal (is this a decal?) without damaging the brake arm surface? Would this method work for the XT on my mega 9 cranks?
    Cover it with tape. Then randomly place other bits of tape on the bike so they blend in and make it look more crappy. Maybe splash on some mud and wrap grass around various things.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    get some Avid stickers and put over the XT logo.

Life-Long Rider
    Sep 2012
    My thought is that if someone is savvy enough to know what XTR is in the first place, then they're probably able to recognize a high quality component despite it not being labeled.

But some strategic scratches and other stickers might help.

Ride More, Work Less
    There are two types of thieves: the first type is looking for a drug fix and will steal anything and not know the difference. The second type knows exactly what he is looking for and does not need stickers to spot the gear. These generalities were written up in bicycling magazine some 10 years ago.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

@trailgrinder
    Like the tape idea, but like others said above, i would think those that recognize the xtr logo are either riders or professional thieves. If you cover it with tape the junky is still gonna want that set if wheels to trade for a new sleeping bag.

T.W.O.
    Agree with the electrical tapes. I saw a Klein attitude pre-Trek was covered in electrical tape for a similar reason.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't think the average crackhead who is stealing bikes knows/cares what brand the brakes are.

Most bike thieves will only look at your lock and decide from that whether the bike is worth taking or not, giving little regard to the quality of components on it.

Want to advertise the right kind of brand? Get the bright orange FAHGEDDABOUTIT from Kryptonite.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Go to YouTube and check out "how to steal a bike" or some similar BS. Then store your bike indoors if you want to keep riding it.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    change to cheaper parts, one can tell if it is a good parts or not by the appearance of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get a second bike to lock up outside... i'd never leave a bike out of my sight if i wanted to keep it. i've never seen a lock that can't be broken in under 5 minutes. i've seen so many really nice bikes locked with locks that i could break in under than 5 minutes. i've even seen owners locking their bikes and told them how to break the lock.. they look at me like i'm a thief or something. every bike i've had has been stolen besides my current one, some i got back some i didn't.. people just don't realize how easy it is to break their expensive lock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    Go to YouTube and check out "how to steal a bike" or some similar BS. Then store your bike indoors if you want to keep riding it.
    I can't believe idiots are posting how to break locks. D locks etc. Its just plain wrong. I left negative comments on several videos and they wonder why. They'd be the first to moan if they had they're bikes stolen.

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^
    Did you ever see that tv show with a title something like think like a thief? If you know what a thief is going to do, you can add contingencies. To turn a blind eye to what people are doing does not add protection against bike theft.

Also, for what it is worth, the cordless dremel with a quality cut off tool changed the face of theft. You can no longer think of hack saws and bolt cutters. You need multiple forms of protection and the most effective may be to take the bike in with you.

mtbr member
    I dont know that someone who knows/cares about XTR would give a second glance at a bike V-brakes anyways would they? I mean, i have v-brakes on my bike but i also think my bike is a piece of crap compared to even a low end new MTB.
    2015 Intense Carbine 29
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ^^^ what mass-hole said.

Any thief that is bike savvy enough to know what XTR means won't look twice at a bike with v-brakes as they'll know those components and bike are pretty old / they won't be worth much.

If it gets stolen it won't be due to having v-brakes no matter what name it has on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    I can't believe idiots are posting how to break locks. D locks etc. Its just plain wrong. I left negative comments on several videos and they wonder why. They'd be the first to moan if they had they're bikes stolen.
    so you're against spreading information? if ONLY the thieves knew how to steal bikes, and the consumers didn't know how it was happening, how would the consumers protect themselves? keep buying the same locks, only to come out and scratch their head and say "duh"? the people posting these videos, spreading how easy it is to break certain locks only forces the manufacturer to step up their game, which only protects the consumer, and makes it harder for thieves to steal your bike. if you are in the bike stealing business, you don't need to watch a video. there are more riders than thieves, and any information as to how bicycles are stolen is valuable to riders and manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I live on a boat.....it's in my van....unless I go camping in which case it has to be outside in the Marina. This is why I bought an older bike. I only got a couple hun in it and I got a XT package with XTR brakes on a good alum frame. So...again thanks for the replies.
    BTW Has anyone tried compounding the XT logo off the cranks....or the XTR off the brake arms?

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bammer150 View Post
    My thought is that if someone is savvy enough to know what XTR is in the first place, then they're probably able to recognize a high quality component despite it not being labeled.

But some strategic scratches and other stickers might help.
    Also if they do know of the quality of XTR components then they probably aren't bike thieves.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Also if they do know of the quality of XTR components then they probably aren't bike thieves.
    I am not sure how you conclude this, but I don't think it is true for many thieves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone can speak to taking off the XTR logo on the brake arm.....or the XT logo on the crankarm?

@trailgrinder
    A good sanding and some spray paint.

Ride More, Work Less
    Sanding and painting, if you are willing, will ruin the resale value so that might keep the pros away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I might wet and dry, aluminum polish and some clear. I might do this: Amazon.com: UST Reflective Tape, 8-Pieces (2 x 4-Inch): Sports & Outdoors.
    I have some left over from another project. Would be good when riding at night. Low buck fix.
    If the Eagle drops some extra bones I might do this: STB performance coatings~gallery.
    Anyone know where I could get some of that new vinyl wrap that looks like carbon (weave in black field) for a decent price?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I might wet and dry, aluminum polish and some clear. I might do this: Amazon.com: UST Reflective Tape, 8-Pieces (2 x 4-Inch): Sports & Outdoors.
    I have some left over from another project. Would be good when riding at night. Low buck fix.
    If the Eagle drops some extra bones I might do this: STB performance coatings~gallery.
    Anyone know where I could get some of that new vinyl wrap that looks like carbon (weave in black field) for a decent price?
    Isn't making it appear as if its carbon defeat your original purpose?

mtbr member
    just use a power tool with steel wire brush to remove any logo you want.

banned
    Sep 2012
    We do custom vinyl graphics for our engineering company's promo use and usually buy our vinyl from Beacongraphics.com - they do carry the faux carbon fiber weave vinyl

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Agree with the electrical tapes. I saw a Klein attitude pre-Trek was covered in electrical tape for a similar reason.
    Several years ago my Klein Attitude which was painted entirely grey covering all logos was stolen in broad daylight from in from of a coffee shop in San Francisco. As others have pointed out, professional bike thieves know exactly what they are looking for and are difficult to fool. My advice, get a cheap bike off of Craigs List to use around town. Probably can find one for less than the cost of new XTR brakes.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

No Stranger to danger....
    Bike thieves that know what they are looking for are not looking for XTR V-breaks
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Bike thieves that know what they are looking for are not looking for XTR V-breaks
    Good point! Missed that in the OP.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    strategic electric tape. makes it look ugly which is a plus from the theft prevention side

Members who have read this thread: 0