Removed front wheel now front disc brakes have no stopping power???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Removed front wheel now front disc brakes have no stopping power???

Hi all,

I recently got a new car for work (Chevy Equinox) and I wanted to see if I put the rear seats back and removed the front wheel if my 2014 Jamis Nemesis Sport 27.5 would fit in the back.

I removed the front wheel carefully, folded up a small piece of cardboard and slid it in between the pads (I read on here where people say to do this in case your brake lever gets squeezed). I made sure I did not squeeze the front brake lever or let it get accidentally squeezed while I put the bike in and then removed it from the car.

I removed the bike and put the front wheel back on. I did a quick ride on the street and now the front brake will actuate when I squeeze the lever and will engage the disc but it has no real stopping power. I hit the brakes on and off several times to see if it was a fluid issue but something is not right, there is no real stopping power on the front anymore.

The brakes are Tektro HDC-300 Hydraulic Disc with 160mm Rotors.

Any ideas on what to do? Check? Is it something with the pistons?

Thanks,

FG12351

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Lack of stopping power could be from:

1. Calipers not moving enough to apply the pads to the rotors
    2. Brake pads soiled (grease, fluid on them)
    3. Air in the lines

Odd that simply moving the bike, and adding a temporary spacer would cause this, but you can try:

a. Pull the wheel again, and gently pull the lever. Is one side not moving? (You may need to remove the pads to see this properly.) Could be a stuck piston, and you'd follow Tektro's steps to fix.
    b. Check the pads. Any obvious marks on them? Could have been soiled - maybe the cardboard spacer you used was the culprit. You can try sanding them down slightly.
    c. Unsure if air would somehow get introduced, but a bleed is a good idea for issues of this type.

Hope that helps - let us know.

mtbr member
    You can also try flicking the lever a few times (not compressed all the way but about a 1/4 of the way). This will help if there is air in the system by agitating the flow and forcing air bubbles up to your reservoir.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks guys will give these a shot and report back. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    assuming the cardboard wasn't oily or you haven't contaminated the pads or rotor with oil, I'd think air in the line is the next likely culprit. There were some posts on the brake forum about people turning their bikes upside down for a short period of time to do some maintenance and the brakes getting air in the line. If you're lying the bike down inside a car, maybe something very similar.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Ah, good catch on that watts - I've also heard of that before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I believe the cardboard spacer was simply a little thicker than the disc itself, causing the pistons to be pushed further in.

Securely Lock the wheel onto the bike fork, and depress the brake lever a few times (it may take several minutes), but your brake levers should eventually firm up.

I have this happen to me quite a bit since I need to remove at least the front wheel (I tend to remove the rear as well) before I can easily put my bike into the back of my car. It only takes a minute or two -- not much more time added to the routine "once over" inspection before you take on the trails.
    2008 Kona Shred
    2014 Kona Precept DL