Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98

    Reflector removal - am I missing something?

    I realize this should be much simpler than it seems to be, but I'm trying to remove the wheel reflectors that came with my new Monocog 29er, and I'm having trouble.

    Sure, I could take some pliers and break them apart, but I'd like to reuse them on another bike someday (kids).

    Is there a reason these won't just pop off like so many others? Am I missing something?

    Here's a picture:



    It looks like the reflector was slipped onto the spoke as the wheel was being built.

    Any ideas?
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    There should be a large plastic screw-like device that holds it to the spoke. You need to get a large flat blade screw driver and turn it to release it from the spoke. Sometimes they can be quite difficult to remove and will end up breaking anyway.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zipzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    399
    I think the center of that reflector is a piece of plastic that turns 1/4 turn to release. There should be a slot for a large flat tip screwdriver on the back side of that plastic. 1/4 turn left should release it from the spoke. It may have a little bit of interference fit, so be careful.

  4. #4
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,445
    I usually just break them off with my hands, but if you want to keep it, I can't really see how to get that particular one off from the picture.

  5. #5
    nnn
    nnn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    799
    You could just unscrew the spoke, remove the relfector and re-true the wheel, shouldn't be too much trouble if you have a spoke key and some experience.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

  6. #6
    crap magnet
    Reputation: cdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    You could just unscrew the spoke, remove the relfector and re-true the wheel, shouldn't be too much trouble if you have a spoke key and some experience.
    Hope you're kidding.
    He could also have a custom wheelset built sans reflectors.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    I've looked for some type of screw-head on the opposite side, but my 40 y/o eyes are having trouble seeing that small. Still, I'll see if I can find it.

    (in search of a magnifying glass)
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LadyDi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    820
    Just firmly TWIST the reflector off the spoke with your bare hands (no tools needed). Be brave, it will be okay...
    Bionically Modified

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SerfRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    34
    Funny, I have a new bike and the same issue. On mine the reflectorys have what looks like a flat tip screwdriver slot that has been modified so it won't unscrew (think screws in public restroom door hinges). Looks like they are not designed to come off. I'm going to go the route of breaking them I think.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cgreen9761's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    212
    Some types of reflectors actually have two teeth that catch the inside of the reflector and hold it to the spoke. Yours may be like this. Look at it closely on both sides around the middle of the circular piece of the reflector and you should be able to see them if you have this style. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze them together so you can then push it out from the backside. A couple of pictures of the middle of the reflector rather than just the side would help the rest of us see which style it is as well. Hope that helps. If not, take some closeups and post them here so we can figure it out for you.

  11. #11
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: chinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,725
    i had the same reflectors and broke one and managed to remove the other ... so you have a 50-50 chance there. they are usually clipped in to prevent them from coming lose so it is very tight.

  12. #12
    Hip
    Hip is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    492
    Is this actually being discussed?? Pm me your addy after you brake them off and Ill buy you a whole box of reflectors...LOL. Get your kids battery operated lights for better protection.

  13. #13
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen9761
    Some types of reflectors actually have two teeth that catch the inside of the reflector and hold it to the spoke. Yours may be like this. Look at it closely on both sides around the middle of the circular piece of the reflector and you should be able to see them if you have this style. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze them together so you can then push it out from the backside. A couple of pictures of the middle of the reflector rather than just the side would help the rest of us see which style it is as well. Hope that helps. If not, take some closeups and post them here so we can figure it out for you.
    We have a winner!!! Thanks cgreen!



    I guess I'm one of those people that likes to know how things work, no matter how trivial...
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

  14. #14
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    Is this actually being discussed?? Pm me your addy after you brake them off and Ill buy you a whole box of reflectors...LOL. Get your kids battery operated lights for better protection.
    He's already got the red led flasher on the front of his bike, off my old one when I commuted more. Calls it his "police bike".
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    176
    the magnifying glass is essential

  16. #16
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by justin70
    the magnifying glass is essential
    Yeah, and that's WITH bifocals on.
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

  17. #17
    Hip
    Hip is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    492

    Sweet!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by HikerGPS
    He's already got the red led flasher on the front of his bike, off my old one when I commuted more. Calls it his "police bike".
    I wish they had those when we were kids. I did have a think on my bars that sounded like a motorcycle. It was loud too. You actually twisted the grip to make the noise. COOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.