mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Reducing rolling resistance and parasitic losses?

Other than tires, what other ways are there to reduce rolling resistances and parasitic losses?

I notice that if I flip my iron horse and my old trek singletrack 930 onto their backs and then spin their back wheels at the same time, the trek's wheel is still spinning at a decent pace even when my iron horse's has long stopped.

Any ideas? Anything you can do to the hubs, cassette, BB, etc. so that you lose as little energy when pedaling as possible?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    you gen upgrade to ceramic bearings, but this are quite pricey, like 50 bucks a pop. Other than that make sure everything is well lubed, and you have no brake rub.

Rod
    mtbr member
    It is probably due to bearing drag. The iron horses' bearings may be tighter than the treks, the trek may have better hub/bearings, or there could be dirt in the IH's bearings. You could loosen the whatever you call it that holds the bearings in place, but you would need two bicycle specific wrenches to do it. My xt hub takes a 15mm and 17mm cone wrench.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    chris king hubs are notorious for spinning down slow arent they? its not something you need to be even remotely concerned about beyond tire choice.

Probably drunk right now

The obvious answer

Always ride in a vacuum. Ride your bike more and worry about hysteresis losses less.

Members who have read this thread: 0