recommend HT mountain bike for newb for under $400- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

recommend HT mountain bike for newb for under $400

This newb wants to start riding. His budget is $400. I can wrench, so online or craigslist is probably the best deal for him. Were are the best deals for $400 on line right now?
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    How do you know what will fit him?

mtbr member
    He already has a Next "Break" point pro. While Point Break is an awesome movie, I don't think the break point is going to hang. So he knows what size bike to get, just not what is a good entry level mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    He already has a Next "Break" point pro. While Point Break is an awesome movie, I don't think the break point is going to hang. So he knows what size bike to get, just not what is a good entry level mountain bike.
    I confess I have no idea what point you were trying to make with the Point Break reference (don't really remember that movie), but OK, he knows what fits. So there's no downside to him buying an online bike, right? Then I guess that's your best bet.

[edit: just figured out you're referring to the kind of bike he has now, sorry]

Check out bikesdirect, maybe? The Windsor Cliff 4700 looks pretty good if you can get past the makes-your-eyes-bleed yellow paint.

Can't really give any advice on Craigslist, since I don't know where he lives or what the local market is like. Good luck.
    Last edited by joe_bloe; 10-18-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: punctuation

mtbr member
    I confess I have no idea what point you were trying to make with the Point Break reference (don't really remember that movie), but OK, he knows what fits. So there's no downside to him buying an online bike, right? Then I guess that's your best bet.

[edit: just figured out you're referring to the kind of bike he has now, sorry]

Check out bikesdirect, maybe? The Windsor Cliff 4700 looks pretty good if you can get past the makes-your-eyes-bleed yellow paint.
    Thanks bro. I was looking at that too. I really think the guy should get at least 3x9, shimano alivo or Sram x5, and Advid BB7 brakes. He might be hard to convince going up a tad on his budget, but if enough guys chime in and recommend at least the level I mentioned, he might increase his budget. Any other good deals on line out there?

POINT BREAK:
    You're a real blue flame special, aren't you, son? Young, dumb and full of come, I know. What I don't know is how you got assigned here. Guess we must just have ourselves an ******* shortage, huh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Thanks bro. I was looking at that too. I really think the guy should get at least 3x9, shimano alivo or Sram x5, and Advid BB7 brakes. He might be hard to convince going up a tad on his budget, but if enough guys chime in and recommend at least the level I mentioned, he might increase his budget. Any other good deals on line out there?
    I dunno, I wouldn't get fixated on 3x9 or the particular component, other than dual-wall rims. I don't know anyone of my mtb buddies who still rides their first bike as it was delivered. I still have mine (Trek 4300) but the only stock items are the frame and wheels. If he loves mtb, he's gonna ride the bike for a year and then start swapping out worn-out components. That would be when he gets the BB7's and better derailleurs.

mtbr member
    I dunno, I wouldn't get fixated on 3x9 or the particular component, other than dual-wall rims. I don't know anyone of my mtb buddies who still rides their first bike as it was delivered. I still have mine (Trek 4300) but the only stock items are the frame and wheels. If he loves mtb, he's gonna ride the bike for a year and then start swapping out worn-out components. That would be when he gets the BB7's and better derailleurs.
    Good point!

Former Bike Wrench
    Might check out this bike from Bikes Direct

Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

The Dart 2 will be a much better fork than the forks on most ~$400 bikes. The Suntour XCT on many of the $400 BD bikes uses plastic bushings and weak seals which will not hold up to real off-road riding.

mtbr member
    You're right, the Dart 2 fork, SLX rear derailleur and 11-30 cassette instead of 12-28 possible freewheel are worth the $40. Good call.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    at $400, they're pretty much all the same for entry level bikes. Crappy entry level components on a hardtail frame. It'll probably have a Dart fork.

The Dawes link above isn't a bad entry level...

Much better than a Trek entry level. Both of their entry level models have crappy Shimano Tourney components.

Trek 3500
    Trek Bicycle

Trek 820
    Trek Bicycle
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    Much better than a Trek entry level. Both of their entry level models have crappy Shimano Tourney components.
    And the Treks have single-wall rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am new to the forum as well and do not have enough posts to create my own thread, I am looking for my first mountain bike just came back from a local shop and wanted input on the following 3 bikes
    2008 Trek 3700 $299

2009 Trek 3700 $342

2010 Trek 3500 $324

Thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    The two 3700's are near identical so go with the cheaper one unless you can't live with the color. The fork is going to be something that will need to be replaced very quickly if you ride on anything other than dry, groomed trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The two 3700's are near identical so go with the cheaper one unless you can't live with the color. The fork is going to be something that will need to be replaced very quickly if you ride on anything other than dry, groomed trails.
    I always love the "replace the fork quickly" posts.

My son races XC with a 3700 and has the original Suntour Fork on it. He races over some pretty gnarly stuff (I know cuss I race on the same stuff). He has no problems.

Someone who can only afford a $400 bike shouldnt worry about replacing an entry level fork unless they plan on racing Cat2 or something.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you both for your replies, i have been reading about the bikes listed above and it seems like people either love it or hate its very starange,
    Some say it will break as you are leaving the bike shop and others say they have put it through hell with no problems at all.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    I always love the "replace the fork quickly" posts.

My son races XC with a 3700 and has the original Suntour Fork on it. He races over some pretty gnarly stuff (I know cuss I race on the same stuff). He has no problems.

Someone who can only afford a $400 bike shouldnt worry about replacing an entry level fork unless they plan on racing Cat2 or something.
    And how heavy is your son compared to a full grown adult...

Even Suntour will openly admit that their lower level forks are for recreational bike path riding and are not designed for full mountain biking, especially in adverse conditions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    And how heavy is your son compared to a full grown adult...

Even Suntour will openly admit that their lower level forks are for recreational bike path riding and are not designed for full mountain biking, especially in adverse conditions
    No doubt my sons weight (about 100#) leaves a lot of wiggle room for even a low end fork to perfom.

I on the other hand am 195# and XC race with a RS Pilot. Had I listened to some of the advice here and bought a $500 Fork because mine was "crap" and "never going to last" etc..I would not have been able to upgrade my tires, my brakes (bb7's), my handle bars and my pedals. All upgrades that have contributed to me making vast improvements in my racing by the end of the year.

Im not saying I wouldnt be a better rider with a nice new racing fork on my bike, I know it would improve my performance. I just find it strange that so many people recommend to new or beginner riders to change out a peice of equipment that can cost hundreds of dollars and for most it would seem that the standard equipment is probably adequote (based upon my personal experience).

Wasnt trying to sound like an ass, sorry if I did on my first post. Im pretty much a noob myself and im sure you know more about it. I just dont want the guy basing his decision on a $400 bike based upon having to spend another couple hundred on a fork im not sure he will need.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think I think I may check out craigslist as well,

mtbr member
    I could be preaching to the choir ... when purchasing a used "craigslist/eBay" bike still be ready to sink some extra $$ into it (a tune-up; replacing worn parts that you were not aware of when purchasing it ... which could be only after a few rides). So if you have a limited low budget (sub $400) ... figure that into the equation (especially a tune-up).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pjoseph View Post
    I think I think I may check out craigslist as well,
    Do you know how to shop for a used bike?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I think jumping in to Craigslist bikes is a bad idea for a newbie. I think being able to try on many different bikes in correct sizing is a better way to start. When I looked on craigslist, usually all I found was either too old, overpriced, or not my size. For under $400 you'll prolly be fine with vbrakes, a basic fork, a decent drivetrain, but most importantly double wall rims. I would focus more on feel and sizing than better components at this point, and buying a used bike is not so easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I believe from reading here that none of the Trek bikes I listed have double wall rims.
    2008 Trek 3700 $299

2009 Trek 3700 $342

2010 Trek 3500 $324

So it sounds like if I buy a bike without double wall rims they will not last long and I will have to replace them? If this is the case I can you recommend a few brands/models that do come with double wall rims?

thanks again

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2008 Jamis Komodo 1 for my first bike. It was like 379 bucks and I am very happy with it. Oh, I got it from Jensonusa.com.

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    Giant Revel 2 would fit. Trek 4300 and up. Specialized Hardrock.

mtbr member
    No point paying a premium for entry level - go BikesDirect or higher end used (the latter my personal preference, especially if you can wrench)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think choose between Giant Revel 2 and Specialized Hardrock I will check them out at my lbs.

mtbr member
    I really loved my revel 1, had it for 4 months and it made me want to live on the trails. my only complaint was that the shocks where really not meant for a 250lbs rider.

bottom line its super rugged and i enjoyed it so much i traded up to an XTC 29er. lol my LBS loves me