Ready for my ride tomorrow.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Ready for my ride tomorrow.

Ok, I am ready for my ride tomorrow. I just tested the bike and everything seems to be in working order. My old Raleigh has twist grip shifters which I don't really care for. Someday I want to go to trigger shifters. They work but they are slow. Have to be very aware of when I need to shift. It's pretty much all downhill. one short climb of about 3/8's of a mile. I will get up in the morning and have the wife take me to the drop off point and then pick me up at the bottom. My hydration pack is ready and in the fridge cooling down. I have a water bottle in there too. Got to find my helmet yet. I am debating on putting on a cyclocomputer. Do you all run one? From the pics I have seen it's split about 50 / 50. Is this just a personal choice? I am back and forth on this. I do have an extra to use if I want.
    Something I have noticed is that the grips are getting sticky. I know it's because they are old and I will be wearing gloves on this trip. Can they be cleaned or something or do I just have to replace them?

Level 5 Rider!
    Have a good run Rick sounds like you have a fun day ahead!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thank you. I will. I have been looking forward to this for some time and decided that I am going to do it. It's the last day of a 4 day weekend and I want to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +1 for your enthusiasm! Have a blast
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Fat-tired Roadie
    Since you had some questions in there -
    Bike computers are really just a preference thing. It comes down to why you're riding and also whether or not you think you'll learn anything useful. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing their mileage stacking up, and if you have a good map and know how to use it, you can use a bike computer to help navigate. If you're doing something more serious with your cycling, you can also use it to track data that may or may not be important in designing future workouts. I have a fancy one that does speed, cadence and heart rate. So if I'm doing a specific workout, I can use it to help me stay focused on working in the particular effort level I had in mind, and I can also use the information after a race to get a sense of what more convenient routes might be a good simulation for training purposes.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to clean your grips - what's the worst that could happen? If you don't like the stickiness, give it a shot.

I hate you for having a four-day weekend this week.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got back. Alot harder than I had anticipated. the only climb killed me. Leaving breakfast on the side of the road isn't fun. Watching cattle run from me is alot of fun. Had to quit early. With about a mile and a half or so to go I stopped to hydrate and settle my breathing down when I got real dizzy. Thought I would fall over. After plowing through several sections of very thick new gravel I had had enough.
    Solved my sticky grip problem pretty easily. Wore a pair of gloves. Problem solved.
    Didn't put on my computer. I could see no real purpose other than logging in milage. No loss there.
    My hill ended up being a lot steeper than I anticipated. I didn't think it was that bad. Should have walked instead of ride it. Would have saved a lot of effort that I could have used elsewhere. Might have saved my breakfast too. Oh well.
    What ride I did I enjoyed though.
    Andrew, My 4 days came at a cost. I will now have to work 18 straight before my next weekend.
    The family started out not liking it but after a bit they started making fun of me and made it a good time. Who wouldn't enjoy watching a fat bald very pale white guy ride himself into oblivion and get to make fun of him as he goes? Especially if you know such a person that makes it even better.

I got to ride. That is what matters right?

mtbr member
    If you can make it up the hill 20 feet farther next time, that's improvement!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If anyone wants to see what I rode today you need google earth.
    go to these coordinances
    45*24'39.55"N
    119*28'49.84"W
    start at 2817ft elevation
    Head north from there. Head to the pavement. That is what I did. the one hill that I had to climb isn't even half way down the ride. It was quite steep. I just tried to hard and it bit me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bemiller, Next time I will Make it to the top. I know what happend. I also know the cure for it. Not only should I ride more but I need to slow down my cadence. Once I go into granny gear I need to slow myself down to keep this from happening. Still a great ride. Doesn't matter that I knocked off early. I rode today. Not everyone can claim that.
    Ride on guys.

mtbr member
    Excellent perspective. Being a new rider, I learned pretty recently that I should avoid the granny gear as much as I can, for my first 10 rides or so this season I spent 95% of my ride in granny gear because I truly felt it was all I could do to get up a hill. What was worse was that I never made it up the hill. Now, there are entire rides where I never get out of the middle ring. Cadence is key and, of course leg strength and stamina improves as well over time.