Rattle snake strike :(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rattle snake strike :(

Went for a morning ride yesterday. A little late, started around 9 am. Peaked the mountain around 10:30. As I was navigating single track that had a nice tree lined canopy, I noticed a layed down grass bed right next to the trail that had a nice beam of sun hitting it. My eye followed the image of the grass bed, instincts I would say, and then I realized what I was looking at. There was a coiled rattler right in the middle of the bed. I raised my legs as I rolled by by about a foot, it took a swipe and hit my chain ring or sumthin. I heard it hit. I passed it and braked some 20 feet away (lost momentum anyway). It was coiled again in a striking stance. I just stared at it, taking in what just happened. In about a minute, it slithered away, making that rattling sound.

Ive seen rattlers before, always the tail coming off the trail, or further off the trail. One time, me and my bud even ran over one coming down a hill. I was pretty cool about it. This time, when I proceeded with my ride, I couldnt concentrate on riding. I was looking for more snakes About 30 minutes later, I gave up and turned around. Lost my drive. Couldnt drop my foot without looking for snakes.

I'll get over it. It was just freaky getting a strike like that. Went up to a ranger and asked if there was any time that rattlers sun themselves. He said no

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's crazy! Good thing he missed you. What are the chances of that happening again? I would say pretty small.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    COOL!

had the same happen to me in the sierras with a timber rattler....but he only coiled/rattled/hissed....scared the bejeebers outta me

i wouldn't fret too much - doubt it will ever happen again
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Imagine if people reacted the same way a car almost ran over them while crossing the road, its all mental, not to say it does mess with people, obviously it does, its merely the unfamiliarity of it which makes it "scary", with that said, glad you didnt get nailed

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I was riding in some pine straw saturday when one of the roots in the trail suddenly hissed and snapped into an "S" shape...

Biggest copperhead I've ever seen!

Gotta be careful.... A bite can mess up your ride REAL quick!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Why all the frowny faces? You should be grinning ear to ear. That sounds like a cool experience, and you didn't even get hurt.

The coolest thing I saw on the trail yesterday was a hawk. I came around a corner and the bird with a critter in its claws took off right next to me. If I had been thinking, I might have been able to jump off the bike and grab it. It was kind of cool, but not as cool as a rattler nipping at my heels.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    Why all the frowny faces? You should be grinning ear to ear. That sounds like a cool experience, and you didn't even get hurt.

The coolest thing I saw on the trail yesterday was a hawk. I came around a corner and the bird with a critter in its claws took off right next to me. If I had been thinking, I might have been able to jump off the bike and grab it. It was kind of cool, but not as cool as a rattler nipping at my heels.
    Probably because he got really scared for his life?

Who would help you out there on top of a mountain if something struck ya and you were far away from any help. I'd be scared too.

TC: Sucks it happened like that, very lucky that it missed. I usually try to avoid snakes when I can because I really do respect the fact that something so tiny can bring me down so quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I don't think he couldve gotten me. I had my legs higher than a Parisian Can-Can dancer

There you go, I'm back to smileys.

I don't think I'm telling my wife. Maybe my son, since he rides the same trail with me.

Last edited by bing!; 10-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This is the one thing that scares the crap out of me because I don't like snakes! Whenever I see one on the trail, it just ruins my ride because I starting looking for them around every bend.

Quote Originally Posted by toadwaker
    ...I usually try to avoid snakes when I can because I really do respect the fact that something so tiny can bring me down so quickly.
    do you weigh like 40 lbs?

about a 1/3 of rattlesnake bites are 'dry'....and there's like less than a 1% chance of actually dieing...

now....you're gonna get all kinds of uncomfortable and ornery if ya get bit...

i am waaay more scared of high speed endos....ugh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toadwaker
    Probably because he got really scared for his life?

Who would help you out there on top of a mountain if something struck ya and you were far away from any help. I'd be scared too.
    But he doesn't have to worry about the 'what ifs' after the fact, because none of them happened.

The chances of surviving a rattlesnake bite are still fairly decent. Not all bite victims are injected with venom, and rattlesnake bites, although nothing to take lightly, are not as deadly as many people claim.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Problem with "dry" bites is, how do you KNOW it was a dry bite? Still gonna mess up your day!

The only snake that bothers me in the least, is the one I don't see.

I, also, am horrified of high-speed faceplants!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    What about a high speed endo into a rattlesnake den? Danger, danger, danger.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    What about a high speed endo into a rattlesnake den? Danger, danger, danger.

High speed endo into a den of rattlesnakes... with LASERS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

about a 1/3 of rattlesnake bites are 'dry'....and there's like less than a 1% chance of actually dieing...

Thats good to know. As long as I can glide down the mountain and get help, I'm good. Don't know what the co-pay is for a helivac, but it can't be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    This is ridiculous...since when did rattlesnakes live in dens?

Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    can't get rattlesnakes, they're now endangered....how about ill-tempered garter snakes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si
    This is ridiculous...since when did rattlesnakes live in dens?
    It was a joke, so it was supposed to be a little ridiculous. Having said that, there is such thing as a rattlesnake den.

mtbr member
    can't get rattlesnakes, they're now endangered....how about ill-tempered garter snakes?
    Riiiiiight. Mutated garter snakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It was a joke, so it was supposed to be a little ridiculous. Having said that, there is such thing as a rattlesnake den.
    lol the joke was intended to go both ways . But I actually didn't know they could live in dens.
    The More you Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si
    lol the joke was intended to go both ways .
    Ha! Yeah, I kind of missed your intent the first time around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Man, I have never seen a snake in person in my entire life (No snakes in New Zealand horah!) I would **** bricks if i did see one on the trail lol.

Also, holy crap at that photo!

mtbr member

Statistics can be a bit misleading at times. For example, there is only a one in six chance of a revolver going off if you are playing russian roulette.

Some pictures of a Rattlesnake bite that was not fatal.
    http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr
    Statistics can be a bit misleading at times. For example, there is only a one in six chance of a revolver going off if you are playing russian roulette.

Ohh man, that sucks hard. Imagine the medical bills with this one. Good thing the guy lived.

I'll say it again, respect snakes, they can and will F you up if they feel like it.

Wēk Ss

those pictures just ruined my day. it's better to be ignorant, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by from link above
    13 surgeries, $700,000 worth of helicopter flights, surgeries, and hospital stays (paid by my insurance of course), and 20 months later, I am very happy with the outcome of this experience and my good fortune of getting through all this without any significant loss.

mtbr member
    How is that misleading? It's dangerous, but not misleading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Did I miss something?
    I though pics or it didn't happen

Seriously, I'm glad you got missed. There is no point in riding with fear, but I understand taking longer than you thought to process the incident.

I got buzzed by a huge owl on a morning. since they fly silently, it scared the crap out of me. And then, it stared me down while I finished out a switchback section. By the time I was done, I thought it was a highlight ride. much cooler than the deer usually seen.

Referring to some other threads... It would be a completely different experience if you had been wearing earbuds.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Yeah.......

I think I'll just give rattlesnakes their space whenever possible!

Master of Disaster
    Meh, no big deal getting bitten by a snake...not as if you're likely to die, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Meh, no big deal getting bitten by a snake...not as if you're likely to die, right?...
    snake bites.....eaten by big cats....mauled by bears*.....swarmed by killer bees.....oh my....

the chances of any of these actually occurring to you (while riding your bike thru the woods) are so freakin' remote that worrying about them is ludicrous...

now, poison oak, fractured bones, concussions, cuts, heart attack, sprains, contusions, dirt in the eye, saddle sores & your fellow riders are the ones to actually have some concern over if you fear for your well being while running amock thru the woods...

* ya might wanna be careful about bears in Alaska though

mtbr member
    How is that misleading? It's dangerous, but not misleading.
    It places people in a False comfort zone, people should always be aware of risks associated with anything they do, that does not by any stretch mean they should live a life of Paranoia, just to be aware

too cold to ride
    ...now, poison oak, ...
    I am still (after two weeks) getting over a case of poison ivy, my first exposure in 20 years. God, it is terrible. My arms looked like the earlier picture, I scratched so much.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    BigSharks, do you by any chance have a laser attached to your head?

Members who have read this thread: 0