Rapid Fire or Dual Control Shifters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Rapid Fire or Dual Control Shifters

I'm building a new bike and I had every intention of using Shimano Rapid Fire Shifters. However, the XT hydraulic brakes that I ordered came pre-bled with Dual Control Shifters. Now I have Rapid Fire Shifters and Hydraulic Brake Levers as well as the Dual Control Shifters that came with the brakes. I'm thinking about giving the Dual Control Shifters a shot, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Does anyone have any insight that they may be able to offer me about the Dual Control Shifters?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

I Have Cookies
    most of the people around here will give DC a bad rap. But most of the guy's I ride with that use it realy love it especially if you come off a road bike equiped with STI....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    some people like it, seems that most don't for assorted reasons. try it. can't hurt to give it a shot especially if you've already got the parts.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    IABSOLUTELYHATEDUELIESHIFTERS%$*#!!!!!!!

but that's just a personal opinion.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    IABSOLUTELYHATEDUELIESHIFTERS%$*#!!!!!!!

but that's just a personal opinion.....

WOAH?!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Upgrade your life
    If you decide DCLs then only get the 775 Dual Controls (hydraulic if you can afford it). They are a huge improvement over the older models.

Wow sorry, I dont read so well. What model of DCL is installed?

mtbr member
    once i got the lever far enough inboard to be where it should be, the shifters are kinda too far to be comfortable. dc sucks!

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    once i got the lever far enough inboard to be where it should be, the shifters are kinda too far to be comfortable. dc sucks!
    HUH? the "shifters" are the brake levers.........:

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDial
    If you decide DCLs then only get the 775 Dual Controls (hydraulic if you can afford it). They are a huge improvement over the older models.

Wow sorry, I dont read so well. What model of DCL is installed?
    They are 765s. My main concern is going back and forward. I have a couple bikes that I ride regularly and the others have rapid fire shifters. The DCLs seem to have opposite controls. In other words, pushing the thumb levers on the DCLs decreases the tension of the dérailleur cables (the opposite from rapid fire).
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Upgrade your life
    Understood. Its probably not right for you. Dont rule it out in the future though. The newer DCLs(775) are solid. Paired with a low-normal RD, up for easy, down for hard, both sides. Pretty damn simple if you ask me!

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    HUH? the "shifters" are the brake levers.........:
    doh! was thinking about integrated shifters!

the dual control is like road bike brifters.. weird.

mtbr member
    I gave them a shot on my new bike since that's what the guy built it with, and after 2-3 rides I actually liked them. The first ride, not so much.

I did attach the thumb extensions and use them instead of pushing the levers up with my fingers since that was awkward for me, but pushing them down is very natural and the hydraulic brakes are really smooth IMO.

I'm still considering going back to triggers but will give them some more time.

mtbr member
    Been using DC levers since 2003. It didn't start out as my choice.My 2003 Klein Palomino came with them and my first thought was I'd take them off and go to Gripshift that I've used sincew '95. (I never liked thumb-shifters; just me). But the more I used them the more I got used to them and liked them. To this day my last two bikes have had DC. (Again just me).
    What I've seen all these years is that people either love them or hate them.
    I just suggest try them and see. Good luck with all that!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    I'm not really a fan of them, although I haven't but tooled around a bit on a bike with them. However the owner of said bike had never had them before and he got accustomed to them in no time and absolutely loves them. Personally I think it's just from a, I hate to have a combo brake/shift set in case anything happens - prefer seperate levers.

I'd say, you've got them, give them a try, if you don't like them then look at switching out to independant brake/shift levers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Upgrade your life
    Wow. I cant believe this price. I ordered a backup set.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=23103

J

Members who have read this thread: 0