racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: racks

mtbr member

racks

ok i'm thinking that I want to buy a rack for my 2010 specialized hardrock sport 29er, could anyone post pics of there bikes with racks and prices thanks
    Specialized hardrock sport 29er Disk
    givin to me. 26in. next brand hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    might wanna be a little more clear. Do you mean a rack to carry the bike or a rack for the bike to carry stuff on?

mtbr member
    a rack for the bike to carry stuff on.

mtbr member
    Does your bike have the attachment points for a rack? My Rockhopper does not, that's why I ask. There are still ways to do it but it is more of a PITA then if the bike would have just came with the points already. I couldn't understand why my road bike had them but my mountain bike did not, both Specialized.

meow meow
    i think there are some that attach to the rear axle and seat tube. maybe not though, i may be talking out my ass. let me have a look...

meow meow

mtbr member
    I say one last weekend while getting serviced (the bike, not me) that attaches to your seat tube. It slides over the tube and tightens just like the lever? that you use to adjust the seat height. You can adjust the angle of the shelf to make it level.
    Last edited by dhambrick; 04-27-2010 at 01:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul

That does not actually utilize the axles but rather uses bolts to attach the the frame. Some bikes, most it seems, have threaded holes just above the rear axle. That is where the rack attaches to. There are some brackets available that use the axle and then allow for a place for the rack to bolt to in the case of a bike like the Rockhopper that does not have these mounting point built in to the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    If I recall correctly the HR Sport 29er doesn't come with all of the threaded brazons that you'd need to mount a rack to the bike. I think it has the brazons down near the axel that would be needed. However it would also require two up on the seat stay a bit below the seat tube/seat stay junction as well. I'm quite sure the 29er doesn't have these. There are options out there that will allow the use of a rack, but as Nubster noted, they are a bit of the PITA. There is a simple rubber coated band clamp type affair that can be attached to the seat stay and then the supports for the rack are attached to the clamp. These work fairly well, but do tend to reduce the load capacity of the rack, and even though they are rubber coated, they do mark the finish on the stays. There are also seat post mounted racks that attach directly to the seat tube. This type of rack however sits very high on the bike and moves the center of gravity upward, basically unbalancing the bike when loaded. It takes some serious getting used to. Also most of the seat tube mounted racks tend to move around a bit, and are quite limited in their load capacity, most are under 20lbs max load. Another glitch in the system is if your HR has disc brakes. If so then a rack specifically designed to clear them will be required. The way a "regular" rack is designed the lower supports won't clear the caliper. If you have discs you will need a disc brake compatable rack. They do make them.

Anyway, it can be done. You'll just have to look things over very carefully to see exactly what you'll need for a rack.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    This one mounts to any seatpost!

Seatpost mounted rack

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Downside to seat post racks is I have read they move a lot no matter how tight you get them on the seat post. Never owned one so can't confirm but something to look at more if you go that route.

My trek 6000 has the mounting posts which is why I need to stay in the 6 series. Anything above that doesn't have them. I have the Topeak EXP bag and it works great. Has expanadle paniers on the side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    If I recall correctly the HR Sport 29er doesn't come with all of the threaded brazons that you'd need to mount a rack to the bike. I think it has the brazons down near the axel that would be needed.
    My Rockhopper does not even have that. I wish that it did...the clamps would have been fine by me to use but in order the use the rack I had I would had to have bought special brackets that were like $30 or something to attach to the skewers. I thought it was pretty stupid to not have mounting points. I mean to me a 29er mountain bike is a fantastic platform for taking trips on rail trails or other extended trips where you would want a rack for panniers to carry a couple days worth of supplies. I in fact plan to hopefully this fall to take a trip with a buddy of mine the entire length of the C&O canal which is 186 miles and takes about 3 days at a leisurely pace. The trail system links up to the GAP trail and if both trails are done it is like 360 miles I think. So racks would be great for trips like that.

mtbr member
    yeah mine already has the holes drilled and everything

mtbr member
    I had a Topeak rack that was nice. They are pretty cheap...$25-30 unless you have disc brakes then you need a disc brake compatible rack which of course will cost a little more.

mtbr member
    mines the topeak explorer non disc model and i got it on there
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

iRonic

Don't have pics yet, but...

I purchased a Sunlite Rack a year or two ago and managed to mount it on my Hardrock Sport Disk. Had to spread the legs a bit and round up some longer bolts, spacers, and washers, but it's held up fine so far.

I'll get some pics of it later today.
    Ron

mtbr member
    thanks everyone for the good answers

mtbr member

That is my beer hauler rack

TRANCER
    Here's a nice rack

Ride

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Here's a nice rack

That would look nice on my ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboypup
    mines the topeak explorer non disc model and i got it on there

My exact setup other then I have the disc brake rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Here's a nice rack

That rack could be mounted front or back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyR
    thanks everyone for the good answers
    and i was just about to come along and sarcastically suggest a kickstand too... only to realize it was you who posted the other day inquiring about kickstands... kind of took the fun out of it...

iRonic
    Here are the pics.

Cap screws are M5-.80 x 20 from Lowe's and the spacers are from Ace. When I remove it for whatever reason, I put in regular length M5 screws/spacers and a washer against the mount to keep dirt out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails racks-hrack1.jpg  

racks-hrack2.jpg  

racks-hrack3.jpg  

racks-hrack4.jpg  

racks-hrack5.jpg  

Ron

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    ^ this will be very useful info for you mike.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    ... There is a simple rubber coated band clamp type affair that can be attached to the seat stay and then the supports for the rack are attached to the clamp. ... There are also seat post mounted racks that attach directly to the seat tube. This type of rack however sits very high on the bike and moves the center of gravity upward, basically unbalancing the bike when loaded. .. Also most of the seat tube mounted racks tend to move around a bit, and are quite limited in their load capacity, most are under 20lbs max load. Another glitch in the system is if your HR has disc brakes. If so then a rack specifically designed to clear them will be required. ...
    This sucks to learn. I was considering a Motobecane Fantom Trail(26er) and learned by email that it also does not have the mounts on the seat stay portion of the frame for a rear rack and I was planning on using the bike for local shopping a bit too. But it seems it cannot handle much weight with these suboptimal options.

What is the load capacity of a decent rear rack made for a bike with mounts?

mtbr member
    Something like this has a 50lb capacity:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1272554505739

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After that post I did some searching and found that Tubus makes racks that hold up to 80 lb. but they are pricey.

I have been trying to find racks that don't need the Rear rack braze-ons but can hold about 40lb. with no luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0