quick help, about to order now!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! quick help, about to order now!

PLEASE HELP! i am about to order , cause the wife ain home ,

prob is; i getting the motobecane fantom trail ht and it comes in 18in and 20in.

i am 6'0" tall, waht would be the best size to get?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's kinda hard to say. The 20" has a standover height of 31.25 inches. If your inseam is a couple inches more than this (measure it with a book against the wall), then get the 20". If you measure yourself and find that you won't have much clearance, then get the 18".

Personally, I'm 6' and I ride a 19". Of course, you don't have that option with that bike.

knock-knock...
    i like smaller frames, so id go with the 18, personally.

No good in rock gardens..
    Look at the effective top tube length - don't get so obsessed with the standover. How often will you REALLY dismount over the top tube? You'll be in the saddle all the time while riding, and a short frame feels like crap. The frames aren't all that long - the 18" is only 22.5" which is about what I ride as a 5'7" rider. So I'd be going for the 20" as a 6' person.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks guys! i ended up getting the 20"!!!!!! i cant wait to get it in! first bike since a walmart next....ha ha

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Look at the effective top tube length - don't get so obsessed with the standover. How often will you REALLY dismount over the top tube? You'll be in the saddle all the time while riding, and a short frame feels like crap. The frames aren't all that long - the 18" is only 22.5" which is about what I ride as a 5'7" rider. So I'd be going for the 20" as a 6' person.
    Well, it's just an awkward bike to begin with. It has a 120mm fork, which increases standover height. But if someone buying this bike has an issue with the length of the top tube, he shouldn't move up a size that's too big for him, he should buy a different bike.

But he chose the 20" so hopefully it fits good.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by eminefes
    Well, it's just an awkward bike to begin with. It has a 120mm fork, which increases standover height. But if someone buying this bike has an issue with the length of the top tube, he shouldn't move up a size that's too big for him, he should buy a different bike.

Might not necessarily be an option for him.

As I said before, how often do riders really straddle the top tube offroad? If you are dismounting over the front of the saddle when the SHTF, then you are doing it wrong anyway.

I had an 18" GT that left me with maybe 1" of standover - was never an issue. I've now got a 15.5" that's the same length but has more standover - I've never needed it.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    18, unless there's a long neck on the bike or if you have long arms, then go for the 20. I'm 6'1 and my 19 xc bike had a long neck that's stretched me out a bit too much for my liking.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Members who have read this thread: 0