question on upgrading components on revel2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

question on upgrading components on revel2

Newbie bought Giant revel2 about 2 months ago. Doing about 75% trails and wanted to upgrade gears and get disc brakes. My question to you guys is should I just buy a new bike or should I invest in the disc brakes, wheels and the gears? Let me know what you guys think.

Enthusiast
    I would continue to run w/v-brakes. Otherwise, since you need new rims, you're potentially looking at spending half the cost of the bike just to upgrade the brakes. if you're going to spend that much money on the bike, I'd throw it at a new fork first. I bet you'd notice a much larger difference in ride quality from having a better fork than from moving from v- to disc brakes.

I've been there before myself, once, with a Rockhopper some years back. I made the call the stay with v-brakes. Then I just made sure that the next bike I bought came w/disc.

Why do you want to upgrade your gears? Are you wanting to go from seven- to nine-speed?

A two-month old bike? Honestly, I would ride it as-is for awhile longer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes would like to go from 7 to 9. Thanks for the advice Jonathan.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget336
    Yes would like to go from 7 to 9. Thanks for the advice Jonathan.
    I wouldn't do that either, because you'll spend a lot of money and the bike will still ride just as it did before. Two more gears won't change the ride quality.

Members who have read this thread: 0