question here on tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

question here on tires

I have a 26 inch mountain bike and I am wondering what is the widest tires I can get?

Also if it matters I have mavic crosslink wheelset

My current tires are 2.1 and I feel like it slows me down on corners

poser Administrator
    First: what bike?
    Second: Where do you ride?
    Third: riding style?
    Fourth: What is exactly slowing you down? You have too little traction or what?
    Fifth: What tires do you have now?

I also suggest checking out your local regional forum here to see what locals ride on your trails. It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it will get you started in the right direction once you decide how big of a tire you can fit in your frame.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I ride a 1999 F2000 in Oklahoma
    My riding style is XC
    I feel like my tires are so skinny that when I hit things like roots/rocks my tires really take the hit hard
    and when I am turning I don't have much grip when I am slanted left or right on a turn so I often slow down. I feel like my current tires are blocky, square shaped and small compared to my previous bike a 29er ( I know I cannot get the same results with this 26er but maybe a tire widening can help?)
    The tires I am using are IRC mythosxc

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCycles View Post
    I ride a 1999 F2000 in Oklahoma
    My riding style is XC
    I feel like my tires are so skinny that when I hit things like roots/rocks my tires really take the hit hard
    and when I am turning I don't have much grip when I am slanted left or right on a turn so I often slow down. I feel like my current tires are blocky, square shaped and small compared to my previous bike a 29er ( I know I cannot get the same results with this 26er but maybe a tire widening can help?)
    The tires I am using are IRC mythosxc
    I gotta say pretty much anything is going to be wider than a mythos. The specialized line of tires is quite nice and voluminous. Some of the Kenda tires are also quite large, with the Nevegal being a heavily knobbed example and the Small Block 8 being a micro knobbied example. I really enjoyed the Maxxis Larsen TT in the 2.3 for a fast rolling microknobby and The IRC Fire XC for a full sized larger knobby on my 26er bikes.

I would wager that you can fit most of the 2.4 sized knobbies meant for XC riding just stay away from the heavier cased Freeride/DH tires as sometimes the 2.4 size of those is a much bigger 2.4 than their XC counterpart.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I use a Small Block 8 on the front and a Slant Six on the back of my 26" FS. Great volume and grip!!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, this has been lots of help for me. What kind of tire is good for dirt, pretty hard packed dirt.

mtbr member
    I am thinking XR1 bontrager 26' tire for the back. Could I use that tire for the front too?

mtbr member
    Another question for you OP, what kind of tire pressure are you running? To high and you wont get the full grip of most tires on the trail.

mtbr member
    I run it around 50 psi. I only weigh 125 pounds

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCycles View Post
    I run it around 50 psi. I only weigh 125 pounds
    Holy cow that is part of your problem right there. At your weight on a 26er you should be able to get away with 22--27psi in your tires. 50psi essentially means that your tires are not able to at all conform to the trail and are therefore relying strictly on the knobs to keep traction but the pressure is so high that instead of deflecting around obstacles they are leaving the ground on a bounce.

Start at the higher number and then slowly reduce the pressure by 2psi until you get to the point that you are in danger of pinch flatting once a ride then go up by 2psi and that will be your pressure that you should run. If you venture onto rockier or smoother trails increase or decrease pressure as needed.

If you reach a pressure where the bike feels really squirmy but you still aren't in danger of pinching up the pressure until most of the squirmy goes away. You should feel a bit of yield in the corners on the sidewalls as that show you that the tires are deforming to track the terrain.

Edit: these pressure are based on your pump. It might read high it might read low so that is why I included the process to experiment. If you get a gauge or a new pump calibrate it to your old pump so you can achieve the same results. I think you will find a huge difference in the ride just with the pressure adjustment.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Try putting 30-35 psi. Im 140lbs. Anything around the 25psi or lower my tires slide when cornering.

mtbr member
    I'm with Rock on this one I think 27-29 psi would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, you are running WAAAAAAAAY to much pressure, and your tires are going to act like springs, bouncing off of obstacles instead of rolling over them.

For a absolutely terrific tire try the Continental Race King 2.3 Supersonic. It rolls very fast, is very grippy, and has some nice cush to it. At your weight I'd be running about 25 front and 29 rear.

T.W.O.
    I'm with anekin007 on the psi Mythos is a pretty low volume tires running it lower than 30 would be inviting more pintch flats. Dialing in the right psi can be fun yet frustrated but you'll learn a lot

If you like volume and riding in a dry condition try the Tioga Psycho Genius 2.1, it's the largest vol 2.1 I've tried.