Question about patched tubes- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Question about patched tubes

I had to patch my bike tube the other day, my question is can i continue to ride on the patched tube or should i replace it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just ride it until the valve wears out.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Ride on the patched tube, it's why patch kits exist. I have ridden on countless patched tubes and have never had a problem with air escaping from the patched area. I have even had tubes with more than one patch and never had any problems. After three flats I would say you can ditch the tube (please take to an LBS that has a tube recycling program). The only disadvantage to patched tubes I can think of is the added weight of the patch/glue.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Agreed with 2 Tires, just ride'em!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Apr 2009
    Ok cool. Why did my LBS say to carry an extra tube with me when i ride and not just a patch kit? Is that a just in case kind of thing?

Sir Hurt Locker
    It is a pain to patch a tube on the trail. Put a spare tube in and repair the old tube at home which is then used as a new spare tube. To correctly patch the tube you should clean the area, sand the area (scrape with metal scraper that comes in patch kit), apply the glue, apply the patch, then press (i use two wooden blocks and vice grips), and then let sit. Pain in the butt on the side of the trail.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It is much easier when you are on a ride to swap out a tube, and then patch the bad one later. Sometimes it is hard to find the hole on the side of a trail. You don't want to be the guy holding up everyone else for something to simple to fix.

mtbr member
    It is sooooo much easier and faster!! to just throw a new/extra tube into the wheel/tire and get home than to sit on the trail (in the sun/heat/rain/cold/etc) and patch a tube out in the dirt. It is sooo much easier to patch a tube in your shop/garage/livingroom/etc. sitting nice and comfy listening cool sounds, cool drink (whatever your pleasure) in hand.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmsurfr22
    I had to patch my bike tube the other day, my question is can i continue to ride on the patched tube or should i replace it?
    Keep on riding with the patched tube.

Apr 2009
    Thanks for the advice!

Apr 2009
    good info here guys.. thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A couple of thoughts:

1) It's possible to render a tube unpatchable. A nice sharp rock through the sidewall of the tire may tear a huge, unpatchable gash in the tube. In cases like those, it's nice to have a spare tube (or two).

2) Pre-glued patches are quick and convenient, but not nearly as reliable as the kind where you have to apply the glue yourself. I'll often throw a pre-glued patch on during a ride, then peel it off and apply a real patch when I get home. Makes it less likely that I end up with dirt glued to my fingers during a ride

Members who have read this thread: 0