Question about bike size- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Question about bike size

Hey-

This is a cross post from the clydes forum. I thought it may be more suited for here.

I'm pretty new to riding. Well riding reguarly that its. Been riding single track and some light DH every weekend for the last few months and decided that I needed to upgrade from my KHS ALITE 500.

I ended up getting a 04 Kona Coiler today. I love the way the thing rides, but it's a 19 inch frame and everything I've read, including the manual just now said a dude my size (5' 11 240#) should be more around the 17". When standing on both feet, the tob tube is firmly up in my sack and my feet aren't even fully planted on the ground. .. Guy at LBS said I should be fine, but I wanted to get some other feedback about possible problems of having a bike thats a bit too big. The manual said that the top bar needs be about 2 inches below my crotch and it's definitely not.

I fear that I may have to take it back today and have them order another one, because the only other size they had was a 15"

Thanks Much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bike size, in the end, comes down to personal preference. However, if standover clearance doesn't allow your feet to touch the ground it may be too large. For what it's worth I'm 5'11" and ride a 17" hardtail. Actually looks small for me due to the geometry but it fits like a glove.

Domestic Fowl
    If your jewels are rubbing the top tube and you're not even standing flat footed on the ground I would say the bike is too big for you. Too often sales people will tell you anything to get you to leave the store with a bike. You want more standover clearance, especially it you're going to be riding technical terrain. You could probably live with that type of fit if you stick to the sidewalks and paved bike paths, but if you're going to be playing around in bumpy terrain (which is what that bike is designed for) you should get a better fit. A bike is near worthless if it doesn't fit you properly for the type of riding you want to do.

Just a general rule of thumb, you want 2"-4" of standover on a mountain bike.

Just an FYI for you regarding bike sizing:
    There is no "standard" for sizing bikes. Various manufacturers measure their frames in different ways. Some measure to the center of the top tube, some measure to the top of the top tube, some measure to the top of the seat tube, and some measure effective top tube height. Therefore, you cannot directly correlate an 18" frame from "Manufacturer A" to an 18" frame from "Manufacturer B." You can't say, "my old 19" Trek mtb frame fit me, so I'm going to buy a 19" Litspeed frame." They are measured differently and you are going to be sorely dissapointed.

mtbr member

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the bike needs to go back

Hey Fellas-

. I'll try the 15" they have on the floot, as my inseam is pretty short..like 27". If not, hope they can track a 17" down for me. I absolutely want this bike for some more serious terrain. Again..thanks for the replies.

Mark