purchasing older bike (thoughts)- Mtbr.com
    eb5
    mtbr member

purchasing older bike (thoughts)

I'm close to pulling a trigger on an older bike (2009 GF Marlin Disc) that I found on CL that is selling for $500. This price is in my price range but am I better off buying a new bike from a LBS for a few extra $ and newer components? The other bike I'm currently looking at is a C'dale SL5 (leftover 2011) or a Jamis Durango 1.

mtbr member
    Think if you can get a used bike for around half the price of when it was new, and it's in good general condition, it's a good deal, and good way to go, and can get you much more bike for the money.
    Lotsa lbs have a maintenance plan you can buy, or just fix when you need to. You'll prolly get a relationship going with lbs when you buy other stuff anyways.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    according to bikepedia, that bike's msrp was $799, so $500 is high. if it fits/checks out and you want it, offer $300 and try to meet in the middle. i would not go over $400 unless this bike is mint.

i have the same year wahoo disc. nice bike, but heavy.

eb5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    according to bikepedia, that bike's msrp was $799, so $500 is high. if it fits/checks out and you want it, offer $300 and try to meet in the middle. i would not go over $400 unless this bike is mint.

i have the same year wahoo disc. nice bike, but heavy.
    This is going to be my plan of attack (offer less). The bike appears to be in excellent condition I'll know more when I see it in person. I was unsure to go the new bike route or buy used.

mtbr member
    if you can get a good deal and are comfortable with doing maintenance/adjustments yourself, buying used makes a lot of sense.

The perfessor
    depends on component upgrades, too........if the owner added some nicer components, it might be worth it...............
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member

I always buy older bikes

Quote Originally Posted by eb5 View Post
    I'm close to pulling a trigger on an older bike (2009 GF Marlin Disc) that I found on CL that is selling for $500. This price is in my price range but am I better off buying a new bike from a LBS for a few extra $ and newer components? The other bike I'm currently looking at is a C'dale SL5 (leftover 2011) or a Jamis Durango 1.
    cannodale is always a good way to go , or a trek for bikes that hold there value , and alot of time I get very nice highend bikes at local pawn shops , bikes that have been setting a while due to there high price you can make them a much lower offer , and alot of times you get it . good luck . tin machine

eb5
    mtbr member
    Well I missed out on the GF, but I ended up with a 2011 Giant Revel 0 for $570 out the door. I'm stoked! I test rode both the C'dale and Giant and the Revel0 felt better, not to mention the better deal.