Purchasing help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Purchasing help

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New question here. Purchasing help

Hello there, I am new to the MTB community and need some help with purchasing a new bike. My previous was a 2012 Giant Talon, but it was so uncomfortable so I sold it.

I have been to my local bikes shops. and test rode a few. Here is my question. Id like to have something with lockout, as well as hydraulic disc brakes. Should I really spend up to 1000$ on a bike? I will only be riding trails and free rides for the most part.

The bikes I have rode are the
    2013 Trek Mamba
    2013 Specialized Rockhopper comp
    2013 Cannondale Sl3

These are the bikes I am mainly interested in. Please, someone help me in deciding which bike would be the fit for me, considering Im not going to be doing much downhill or mountain type.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lots of people do what you did. The Suntour fork is not designed for more than bike paths and easy traiols. There is a Suntour sponsored upgrade program to help. A Raidon air fork upgrade for 175 would have solved your ride quality issues.
    The 2012 Spec would need the upgrade or it would be as uncomfortable as your Talon. 2013 now has a RS XC 28 TF coil fork
    The Mamba has a decent fork.--the RS XC 32 TF. 32mm stantions are less flexy than the 28 on the Spec.
    But if you gave up the Talon because of a poor fit and not ride issues, you need to demo a Mamba or other option and find a shop where the staff can make sure you are on the right size. Because of the slacker geo a Mamba should handle in a relaxed manner, good for confidence and skill development. With a good bike and the right fit you may find some fun trails close by.
    Your profile says cross county. If that includes Devil's Den you have some good trails.
    Last edited by eb1888; 02-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Cow Clicker
    Depends on what you define as uncomfortable. Back hurt? Wrists hurt? Butt hurt? How often and how far do you plan to ride?

This might help: http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...de-811009.html
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would ride every week. My butt and back were hurting. I was going on 2-3 hour rides normally. Sometimes if the weather would permit, Id stay out most of the day.
    ]Just confused at to if buying a bike with hydraulic brakes or mechanical. The brakes on the old talon solid i felt, but the reviews say hydraulic are the way to go?

Which bike would you say is more bang for the buck? I felt the Trek and Specilized were the more comfortable. Thank you for the help

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rode all three of those bikes listed, and the trek and specialied both felt right. Im still confused as to the components on both in regards to durability, price.

Cow Clicker
    Comfort level could be a number of things. Read the http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...de-811009.html and the http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...ng-826673.html. It might help explain some things for you.

Seat size, adjustment and apparel might clear up the butt hurt. Back could be core muscle issue, or a tire inflation or fork set up issue. Don't have enough info to diagnose.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Rogue Exterminator
    Assuming all 3 bikes were set up properly for you, if the Trek and the Specialized were the most comfortable then scratch the Cannondale.

As far as the 2013 Specialized Rockhopper comp and the Trek Mamba goes, the components are almost identical. Same fork, same derailleur both have similar hydros, etc. Assuming you like both bikes equally and they are very similarly priced, I would buy from the shop that has given better service. See what they offer you you after the purchase in tune ups. Some shops offer 1 free tune up and some even offer lifetime tune ups.

Both are nice bikes and if you like them both, you won't make a wrong purchase.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Members who have read this thread: 0