Proper response when someone on the trail says "Single"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Proper response when someone on the trail says "Single"

When the rider going the other way tells you how many are behind them.
    don't just say "OKAY" or "Thanks"
    You should also respond with the number of people behind you
    "Single", "One behind", "Two behind" etc

Some riders are pretty fast and if your in front of your group this is your job

I cross paths with lots of beginners who don't know about this and I thought I would
    post it here

Jul 2006
    Thankswill keep that in mind when I'm on the trail. Anyother hints and advise?

Mar 2006
    Where I ride I share the trails with horse owners. If this is the case in your area, always stop and walk your bike past the horse and it's owner. The horses can get spooked and throw their rider or hurt whoever is walking it.

Have Cake and beat it 2
    Same with hikers/walkers. be polite to them give them space and let them know if anyone else if following.
    this will mean more trails staying open for MTBers

Feb 2006
    See, I always say "I'm not married, either". Who knew I was being a jerk?!

Trail etiquette is indeed important, but it's not as big a deal in some areas as in others. For instance, SE Michigan singletrack generally only goes in one direction, but you never know, and it pays to be as polite as possible.

Ross

Double-metric mtb man
    Myself, I avoid the married / not confusion by saying "just me" rather than "single" or "two more" or whatever the case may be.

For areas where you're exploring, I like to call back to riders coming up behind me...get over so they can pass and tell them "I'm just exploring, so feel free to pass."

Also, if you have to share the trail with lots of hikers, dogs and horses, a bear bell is a good idea. I have a regular bell for most of my riding, but for heavily used trails, I'll put the bear bell on my bars....saves a lot of finger work ringing all the time and lets people know where I am.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU_Grad_121
    See, I always say "I'm not married, either". Who knew I was being a jerk?!

Trail etiquette is indeed important, but it's not as big a deal in some areas as in others. For instance, SE Michigan singletrack generally only goes in one direction, but you never know, and it pays to be as polite as possible.

Ross

I'm in SE Michigan as well. Where do you ride?

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kylejohn4543
    I'm in SE Michigan as well. Where do you ride?
    Of late, nowhere too exciting. I'm still recovering from a knee surgery, so I'm pretty much stickin to roads for now. When I was still able to hit the trails, I'd do Stoney, Poto, Bloomer, Highland, Pontiac Lake, Island Lake, Brighton, pretty much anywhere. How about you?

Ross

Jun 2006
    I've done Stony, island lake, maybury, fort custer, and Boyne Mountain up north last week. That's some crazy stuff.

I wear two thongs
    For other bikers the single, 1 back, 2 back etc works well but I usually flat out say theres (Insert number of riders here) behind me to non bikers because most of the time I get the "what are you talking about" look as they turn around to look at me get in the middle of the trail and cause more chance of a wreck when I say something like "One back".
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Gravity Tester
    To bikers: Solo, 1 back, etc...
    To hikers, Since I slow for them, I have time to say "there's two more behind me"

I almost hate to claim "Solo" status, since I'm often unaware of who might be right behind me when riding alone. I could indicate it's just me, and fail to alert another trail user to someone closing fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0