Progressing too fast to know what bike to buy!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

New question here. Progressing too fast to know what bike to buy!

I just recently started riding about a week ago. My LBS was super cool and borrowed me a Cannondale Habit 2 over a weekend for me to give the sport a go, and I love it. I made great progress too, hitting steep and technical double black diamond trails comfortably, and clearing big jumps as well as big drops. All of this on my second day of riding MTB.

I'm now looking at getting my own bike, and while I'd really like to stay under $3000, I'm genuinely concerned over how well such a "low cost" bike (relative to what's out there) will keep up with my own personal progress. I really don't want to sound like a douchebag and my intent isn't to brag, I'm just not really sure on what bike to get.

I'm looking at the Trek Fuel EX 5 and the Canyon Torque AL 5.0, but I'm just uncertain of how well they can handle big jumps and double black diamonds. I've also looked at the Spectral CF 7.0 from Canyon, and the Remedy 8 from Trek, but I'll have more money to upgrade the componentry if I go for a cheaper model.

I guess my question is if a lower end bike like the Fuel EX 5 or Torque AL 5.0 is better for me, or if I should just go for something like the Remedy 8 or Spectral CF 7.0, considering the fact that I'll have more money for an upgrade if I go for a cheaper model.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's always cheaper to buy once. Don't know much about those bikes , but I think the Remedy 8 and whatever is equivalent in other brands would be closer to what you would want.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Tapatalk issue, or was OP's post fully bold?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Double black on 2nd day. By the end of the week he'll be piloting the space shuttle while simultaneously competing at world level chess and juggling 6 chainsaws.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    See if one of the mechanics at your shop has something he's built up he can sell you. The upgrades will already be done. Probably better fork, wheels and brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    lol don't forget the 10 Tour de France wins and colonization of Mars!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Double black on 2nd day. By the end of the week he'll be piloting the space shuttle while simultaneously competing at world level chess and juggling 6 chainsaws.
    lol don't forget the 10 Tour de France wins and colonization of Mars!

since 4/10/2009
    Not all trails are created the same, and not all trail ratings are directly applicable elsewhere.

Such is the limitation of limited experience.

Now, maybe you have a prior skillset that you're learning to apply to mountain biking pretty well. But if you let yourself get overconfident, you're going to get your ass handed to you sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't call a $3000 bike such a low end/cheap bike, either. At around that price point, you're going to see bikes of similar cost that are intended for different sorts of riding styles. You'll find lighter bikes meant for more xc-ish sorts of riding (being good at both the downs and the ups), and you'll start finding rowdier bikes that are meant for prioritizing the downs a lot more than the ups, and maybe even some bikes where there's zero focus whatsoever on the ups, and all the emphasis is on the downs.

You're going to have to decide what your riding priorities are.

RAKC
    Sorry but first off calling total bs on the details of the OP. Unless coming from a dirt jump/bmx background not a chance in hell.

That said, trails to that level, the lower priced bikes will work, but expect to require maintenance and repairs often. Trails to that degree are going to be hard on any bike unless you pay money for something like a Remedy or slash (or equivalent)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Sorry but first off calling total bs on the details of the OP. Unless coming from a dirt jump/bmx background not a chance in hell.

That said, trails to that level, the lower priced bikes will work, but expect to require maintenance and repairs often. Trails to that degree are going to be hard on any bike unless you pay money for something like a Remedy or slash (or equivalent)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I'll take that as a compliment!

So maybe go for something a little nicer if I want to hit the tougher trails and the bigger jumps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trullss View Post

So maybe go for something a little nicer if I want to hit the tougher trails and the bigger jumps?
    Riding most double black diamonds wide open is very hard on all components of a bike. Getting the highest end bike you can afford will be the best bang for your buck. You might still break a few things and expect the frame to only make it a few years rather than a lifetime. Also service your suspension often.

This of course will vary a lot depending on your specific trails and how fast you're actually going. Jumps aren't hard on bikes until you case or over jump a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Well, it sounds like you will be ready for pro racing soon, so I would begin contacting
    bike makers for a fully sponsored ride immediately. They will hook you up with the correct bike, no problem.

Sorry, couldn’t resist being a bit of a jerk ,
    but , pay attention to what Harold said above
    about your ass...
    and if you are really doing what you say,
    you should probably be spending 5k and up for a new bike.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    At this rate, you'll break something soon. Chill out. You got a lot to learn. Search the forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    OP, did you possibly have any experience with motocross or dirtbike riding before you started riding mountain bikes? If so, I found when I first started riding MTB that the skills transfer over quite well, and like you, there wasn't much I couldn't do pretty easily on the trails when I first started out on the MTB.

When I got started, I trashed a cheaper GT XCR 5000 full suspension bike pretty quick. My advice would be to buy the best aggressive, modern geo, long travel bike you can afford without having to borrow money to get it. You can upgrade parts as they break or wear out if you buy a cheaper bike.

I can tell you from my experience that as a heavier, more aggressive rider, having high quality suspension, although not necessarily required, makes the ride quite a bit more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    OP, did you possibly have any experience with motocross or dirtbike riding before you started riding mountain bikes? If so, I found when I first started riding MTB that the skills transfer over quite well, and like you, there wasn't much I couldn't do pretty easily on the trails when I first started out on the MTB.

When I got started, I trashed a cheaper GT XCR 5000 full suspension bike pretty quick. My advice would be to buy the best aggressive, modern geo, long travel bike you can afford without having to borrow money to get it. You can upgrade parts as they break or wear out if you buy a cheaper bike.

I can tell you from my experience that as a heavier, more aggressive rider, having high quality suspension, although not necessarily required, makes the ride quite a bit more enjoyable.
    No moto-bakcground, but I've always been able to learn quickly on anything that has two wheels. It's hard to not sound like a dick about it though, but it was a genuine concern I had, whether I'd be able to ride at the same level with a considerably cheaper bike than the one I started out on. And just to be clear, I don't mean I'm sending double black diamonds brakeless, whipping the jumps and riding 50 km/h through berms, but that I was able to keep up with other more experienced riders no problem.

Regarding the bike, I managed to scope out a deal on an online shop trying to purge out their 2019 models. Got my hands on a Cannondale Jekyll 3 29er. From what I've seen, it's supposed to be one hell of a enduro/aggressive trail bike, so I'm stoked about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    No moto-bakcground, but I've always been able to learn quickly on anything that has two wheels. It's hard to not sound like a dick about it though, but it was a genuine concern I had, whether I'd be able to ride at the same level with a considerably cheaper bike than the one I started out on. And just to be clear, I don't mean I'm sending double black diamonds brakeless, whipping the jumps and riding 50 km/h through berms, but that I was able to keep up with other more experienced riders no problem.

Regarding the bike, I managed to scope out a deal on an online shop trying to purge out their 2019 models. Got my hands on a Cannondale Jekyll 3 29er. From what I've seen, it's supposed to be one hell of a enduro/aggressive trail bike, so I'm stoked about it.
    Gotcha. I know some folks have a natural ability to ride anything with two wheels. I've seen a couple of guys younger than me that I helped learn how to ride motocross go from a true beginner on the bike to being faster than I am in a short amount of time. I think it's natural balancing abilities myself, but I'm sure there are people with other theories on why some folks pick skills up quicker than others. I'd say either way, it sounds like you were born to ride something on two wheels well.

Although I'm not really a big fan of Cannondale bikes, the Jekyll 3 looks like a pretty good platform to get started on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    In between EWS runs.