proflex 656 tips? tricks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

proflex 656 tips? tricks?

Hello

I used to have a 756 last year until someone stole it. It was completely stock, and all the suspension was starting to wobble/shake. I really missed it though, and still do. These bikes have a charm not many do.

Now...

I came across a 656 in this guys garage I was working in, and he offered to sell it. 500$ asking price.

Is this reasonable? Seems a bit high to me.
    Is there any significant differences between the 656 and 756 i should be aware of before seriously bartering with him for this machine?
    The front part (name?) that the handlebars attach to was changed for a more upright riding position. will this affect my experience much?
    Looking into upgrading the suspension to coil/springs. is this feasible with this particular model?

Also a baseline question, would I be happier looking for something else or is this a build-able base i can customize in the years to come? Really have a strange attraction to these bikes, and I dont want that to be clouding my judgement.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully there are some members on here, looking to meet some cool people to chat with about biking, im pretty illiterate but love the sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those bikes were the hot thing for a minute. I would not suggest getting that bike for $50 much less $500.Those wobbles were the elastomer's failing ,finding new one might be possible ,but that's just the start , even if the bike was almost never ridden ,it still could need tires, tubes, cables and housing. There is a site called bike blue book where you can what they think a bike is worth. The first thing anyone should look at is fit ,not too small or too big. Fit is mostly reach ,how much distance between the saddle and bars. 26" wheel bikes are a thing of the past when it comes to off road riding ,27.5 and 29" wheels now. The part that holds the bars is called the stem , they come in different lengths and angles of rise. If I remember right those bike had 8 speed drive trains, again something of the new better bikes are 10 ,11 or 12 speed, a single chain ring with a cassette of than many gears, while you can find some of those 8 speed parts ,they cheaply made. I would look around more for something at the most 5 years old. There is a vintage forum here ,and yes that is vintage bike. Someone there might have some info on those bikes.

mtbr member
    If you want it for the nostalgia, go for it. You can't put a price on those memories. I would not want that kind of bike if I had the choice for something modern.

a few years ago, I was working in a shop and someone brought in a Proflex and wanted it overhauled and set up for riding. it cost them hundreds of dollars and was a huge pain for the shop to hunt down the parts. oddly, the parts were still available! when it was done, it was just an odd, expensive, horrible bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirtim0thy View Post
    I came across a 656 in this guys garage I was working in, and he offered to sell it. 500$ asking price.

Is this reasonable? Seems a bit high to me.
    Is there any significant differences between the 656 and 756 i should be aware of before seriously bartering with him for this machine?
    The front part (name?) that the handlebars attach to was changed for a more upright riding position. will this affect my experience much?
    Looking into upgrading the suspension to coil/springs. is this feasible with this particular model?

Really have a strange attraction to these bikes, and I dont want that to be clouding my judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Those bikes were the hot thing for a minute.

There is a vintage forum here ,and yes that is vintage bike. Someone there might have some info on those bikes.
    You could ask on the vintage forum, but I'd guess more like $150 makes sense.

Post some pictures up here: https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...iw-856050.html

For sure you're getting into a vintage nostalgia, but that's fine as long as you know what you're getting into.

I've never had a Proflex, but was doing some research years ago for my Brother-in-law.

Check this archive on retrobike for model specifics: Proflex Archive | Manufacturer Archive | Retrobike

At one time there was a company that had coil spring retrofit stuff for the elastomers that are now likely mushy. Worth some research, but I think it was these guys: https://www.ebay.com/usr/nulifecycles
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirtim0thy View Post

Also a baseline question, would I be happier looking for something else or is this a build-able base i can customize in the years to come? Really have a strange attraction to these bikes, and I dont want that to be clouding my judgement.

Not sure if we directly answered this part of your post. If your goal is regular trail riding going forward, then this bike would be a hard "no". There is no upgrade path to modern tech, and the cost and difficulty of finding some of the replacement parts (as discussed) is a deal-breaker.

However, if this is around a hobby, along the lines of restoration, then that's your call. I would just not expect it to be an option for everyday use. (Also, don't pay close to $500 for it - unsure where people come up with these numbers.)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it... I'll see if this guy will sell for less.

In the meantime, where are some good places to start looking for something a bit newer I can start with? I could just go for a big box brand, but I want something that will be quality 10 years from now. The sheer plethora of brands and models has my head spinning lol.

I.E. are there good bike exchange/ outdoor equipment seller sites where i can get quality used bikes? My budget is probably only around 500 so that limits me quite a bit.

mtbr member
    that Proflex is probably close to 25 years old. think about that.

I would scan some of the many threads in this sub-forum that have titles like "which bike should I buy?" tons of great advice has been dispensed in there on that question.

$500 is an insufficient budget for a new bike that will hold up for trail riding. the exception is new-old stock and special sales events. I don't know when REI will open back up for normal business, but their garage sale events have some killer bike deals sometimes.

I would check:
    local Craigslist
    local Facebook marketplace
    local bike stores that sell used bikes
    local forum for your nearest IMBA chapter
    Pinkbike
    MTBR classifieds
    ebay

try locals first.

anything that requires that you buy a used bike sight unseen is a gamble. you'll have to pay a hefty shipping fee, or expect the seller to eat the cost of shipping a large, heavy box. I've definitely encountered some horror stories about used bikes that were purchased and turned out to be utterly destroyed by the time they reached the buyer. so be wary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could add pawn shops to the list for used ,just beware that the bike could be stolen . Also check to see if there are any bike co op's around. Around here is a business called play it again sports ,used stuff. As to all the different brands ,that doesn't matter much ,within a price range they are very much alike. Again you want a bike that fits, and one medium may not be the same size as another one.

Hi There!
    I wouldn't buy that for trail riding, but man, I'd love to find something like that to fix up and ride down to the beach and stuff.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2020
    OK so this has all given me something to think about. I've been perusing pinkbike now for a while, as going to local shops/garage sale is out for me rn.

Would something like this be more of a good beginner rig for me?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2695391/

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I would avoid 26" wheels at this time, given the comments above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too much money for the Foes, that bike is 10 years old, For that money you could a brand new decent hard tail . As stated the better bikes have moved on from 26" wheels. Would that bike fit you, it would be for someone around 6' . If you want full suspension ,you should able to get something much newer for a little more money.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hey guys, been searching around all day. I think i might be settling on a fuji outland 1.3... Its more than i wanted to spend on a bike but I'd be getting it brand new... anyone have an opinion on this bike?

Is the stock gearing setup going to be too slow for trail/ gravel riding?

Thanks all for the replies its been extremely helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had a Proflex 857, a considerably better bike than the one you are looking at, so I have a warm spot for these bikes. Also, I currently ride an old 26er full suspension.

This bike is not worth much, maybe $150 ? But I've bought better bikes for less than $150!