Problem with Cateye Strata Wireless CPU- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Problem with Cateye Strata Wireless CPU

I purchased a Cateye Strata Wireless CPU for my Mtn Bike yesterday. I installed it per the directions that came with the CPU and cannot get MPH to work. I called Cateye and they said the spoke magnet must be 1/8 of an inch from the sensor else it will not work.

I see no way possible to get the magnet 1/8 of an inch from the fork senson. 1/8 of an inch is almost the magnet touching the sensor as it passes the sensor. Has anyone else had the same or similar issues? Is there another brand I could purchase that is a little more forgiving on distance from magnet to sensor? I do not see how anyone with a Mtn bike of any brand could get the magnet and senson that close.

If I take the magnet off the spoke and wave it with my hand in front of the sensor it does register so I thought maybe the battery was weak in the senson but Cateye didnt think that was the issue that it is a distance error. What the heck??

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the same problem with the same CPU just last week.
    My problem was that the magnet has to be no further than 5mm from the sensor. Thats 5mm NOT 5cm. On my Trek 4300 it was near impossible to get it that close unless you move the magnet very close to the hub, which is no good. I was told by cateye that the strata was designed primarily for road bikes. I swopped it out for a cateye micro wireless. It has a completely different sensor and set up, works perfectly now.
    I know how you feel it drove me nuts for 2 days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ALL cyclometers will require you to place the magnet very very close to the sensor - and often times, the magnet needs to be even CLOSER than the directions indicate. On my road bike, the sensor is so close that when I stand and sprint, the flex in my fork and spokes is sufficient to cause the magnet to tap against the sensor.

It's just the way they are. What might help you out is a computer with a differently shaped sensor unit that might make it easier to attach to your fork so that you can get it close enough to the wheel for everything to work.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info. The store I purchased the CPU from does have the micro wireless so I will try that CPU out. Does any manufacturer make a model CPU for Mtn bikes? The pics in the instructions for the Strata looks like a road bike so I guess that is my issue as well. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Ride Everything
    All the wireless units that I've used have had similar distance requirements for the magnet/sensor. Just make sure that your sensor's zip-ties are loose enough so that, if it goes into the spokes, it won't jam the wheel.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    All the wireless units that I've used have had similar distance requirements for the magnet/sensor. Just make sure that your sensor's zip-ties are loose enough so that, if it goes into the spokes, it won't jam the wheel.
    Better yet, arrange it so that the motion of your wheel will push the sensor OUT of the wheels rather than pull it IN.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mac, you will see that the sensor on the micro wireless is more mtn bike friendly.

I do still like that strata wireless CPU. I've been shopping for an entry level road bike. Once I make up my mind on which one, I'm willing to give the Strata another shot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A picture's worth a thou......cateye micro wireless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero260
    .....unless you move the magnet very close to the hub, which is no good.

Any reason why it's not good to have it closer to the hub? My Strata wireless on my Lefty places it about 5 1/4" from the axle and I see no problems. It seems one rotation is still one rotation no matter what part of the spoke we're dealing with

My sensor touches the magnet as well when I heavily lean my bike on one side as I stretch or something.

Mac, is the sensor not able to come close even if you tilt/mount the sensor in towards the spokes? Can you place the sensor closer to the hub to help get it closer to the fork?

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticBike
    Better yet, arrange it so that the motion of your wheel will push the sensor OUT of the wheels rather than pull it IN.

Yup, in front of the fork rather then behind it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Yup, in front of the fork rather then behind it.
    Mine in the photo is behind the fork. I have always known it would be safer in front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's the Strada wireless on my 2010 GF Piranha.
    It did take a few minutes to get it adjusted to pick up the magnet.
    It's been great - works very well and looks good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can make this work. First, remove the magnet from your bike and pass it back and forth rapidly in front of the sensor. Does it register? If so, all is well. Now mount the magnet again on your spokes so that it passes very closely to the sensor. Adjust the sensor position if necessary. If there's really no way to do that, post some pics so we can help you better.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    one trick we use in the shop for such problems on mtbs, tandems, and other wide forks: shim the sensor. either use some of the rubber shims that came with it or parts of an old tube or something. you might need longer zip ties, but it's a fairly easy "trick" if you need it.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Sir Crash-a-lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen69

I just got this exact same computer and I have it set up exactly like this one is and it works just fine. Point the sensor in towards the spokes and get it as high up on the spoke as you can. The magnet does have to pass pretty close to the sensor, but it should work. Mine hasn't had any problems. Maybe you should replace the batteries in both units? Also make sure the back of the computer is facing towards the sensor, wherever it is.

And there's always the possibility you got a lemon and just need to do a warranty replacement. I can vouch that mine works like a charm though.

Ride Responsibly
    I locate my sensor/magnet low on the fork where the spokes are closer to the fork, that way I can still remove the wheel without moving the sensor each time. Do not see how being closer to the hub would matter, used to have magnets that clipped onto the hub.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen69
    Your sensor is on the front of the right (drive-side) fork leg, correct?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Your sensor is on the front of the right (drive-side) fork leg, correct?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    I locate my sensor/magnet low on the fork where the spokes are closer to the fork,
    Dude! Don't do that, the speed will be off.

Just kidding.
    Nobody cares...........

Members who have read this thread: 0