Thread: Pricing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Pricing?

looked on the LBS sites and they all have the same pricing for there models. EX: every trek, specialized, giant, store has the XXXX model for same price?? or is that msrp and just a guide and each store sets there own prices??

mtbr member
    I asked a similar question a few months ago and it sounds like LBS usually sell at MSRP, deals can be had on last years models.

I asked as the only other higher priced items I have any buying experience with where cameras/lenses where MSRP is NOT real, no one sells at that price.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by lxmike
    looked on the LBS sites and they all have the same pricing for there models. EX: every trek, specialized, giant, store has the XXXX model for same price?? or is that msrp and just a guide and each store sets there own prices??

Former Bike Wrench
    Former bike shop employee of eight years here...

Major brands such as Trek, Specialized, Kona, Giant, etc. have a "range" that you are allowed to sell a bike at. There is a high and low MSRP. Small shops who buy lower volume (and thus pay more per bike from the manufacturer) will likely sell at the high MSRP (which by the way is what is shown on the manufacturers web sites). Larger shops who purchase high volume will pay less per bike because of volume discounts so they are more likely to sell at the lower MSRP.

Manufacturers do allow sales and discounted prices, but there are set regulations on this. If a dealer sells below the MSRP range consistantly, they can lose their business with the manufacturer. Most big brands are VERY protective of their dealers, that is why you don't find their product sold online at discounted prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm curious if buying a bike is like buying a car? Can you negotiate on prices for last year's model? I few bikes I saw were slightly discounted and I was wondering if it was wrong to ask for a slightly lower price?

LRB
    mtbr member
    there is some room to work with the price on a holdover (last years model) bike. When i bought my bike it was a holdover and the salesman who is a buddy but gave me some good insight of what to do if i buy something from another shop, helped me out with things like put a nicer seat on for free, and made sure that the tires that were on it were what i wanted and 50% off a helmet so maybe negotiate those types of things and that adds up pretty fast and kind of equals a discount
    My experience anyway
    LRB

Probably drunk right now

LBS Margins....

The margins on bikes at a LBS are fairly tight. As mtnbiker72 mentioned, larger dealers for a brand have more wiggle room based on their volume purchase discount but they're also running higher overhead (more cost) based on their size.

Margins on components and extras are higher. So there's more room to negotiate price with them. An LBS should be interested in retaining you as a long term client, so they will generally work a component discount for you.

Another way to lower your prices is through your local mountain biking club. Some clubs have discount deals worked out with local shops where you receive X% off purchases based on your club membership. Whether this is a good deal or not for you will depend on you doing the math.

Members who have read this thread: 0