Presta Valve- Mtbr.com

Thread: Presta Valve

Jan 2007

Presta Valve

So I broke off the tip of my presta valve and wondered if I need to replace the whole tube now? to answer the questions I was topping off the tire with my hand pump for a morning ride and the bike fell over snapping off the valve...

my body breaks the falls
    Replace it instead of what? Repair? Eventually you'll need to get air into the tube. I can't imagine how repairing that would be any easier or cheaper than a new tube. Sometimes your time becomes more valuable to you than your money - especially with something as inexpensive as a tube

Jan 2007
    I was wondering if there is a replacement tip that screws down into the valve that I can buy rather than pulling the whole tube...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    New tube. Only if it had a removable valve (like the mavic wheels) but that's in a tubeless wheel not a tube.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy
    Replace it instead of what? Repair? Eventually you'll need to get air into the tube. I can't imagine how repairing that would be any easier or cheaper than a new tube. Sometimes your time becomes more valuable to you than your money - especially with something as inexpensive as a tube

hes talking about replacing it like a schrader valve inside - screw the old one out and screw a new one in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nope.....

can't repair prestas. You'll need a new tube.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Changing tubes is one of those no-brainer things that need to be done so often it's second nature.

Here's an idea - time yourself! The faster you learn to do it the less you will hold up the group.

Aug 2007
    New Presta tubes can run as cheap as 2.50-3.00. Don't waste your time noodling with fixing a valve.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy
    He is totally right. A tube costs about 5 bucks.I have never heard of repairing a valve and if you did it would cost just as much.

You also need to put a value on your time. Is it really worth the trouble?

Members who have read this thread: 0