mtbr member

New question here. please help with frame size

this is a repost form the jamis forum but i need a answer

i am lookin at a jamis komodo and i need to no if a 18.5" is to big or if will be ok

iam 15 and i am 5'8" and i will most likely be 6ft and i need a bike that will be a good size for me. let me no if you need anymore infromation thank you

please help me i plan on buying a bike within a week
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

No good in rock gardens..
    Depends a bit on what you want to do. Those bikes are pretty long in the top tube - though they spec a very short stem. If you wanted it solely as a jump bike then get the smaller 16.5" one. For a trail bike get the 18" They have plenty of standover anyway due to the dropped top tube.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    thank you

will the 18.5 be to "clumbsy" to jump or will i probabley get used to the size
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Smaller for jumping. If you're 15, I'd say get the one that fits now. There will be plenty of funds available once you grow into the 18.5.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Fed
    Smaller for jumping. If you're 15, I'd say get the one that fits now. There will be plenty of funds available once you grow into the 18.5.
    but i will be in debt with my mom if i get the 06 16.5 i only have 700

do u think that the 18 is out of the question for me right now
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    What do you want to do with the bike? And: I do not see a 18.5". Only a S/14", M/16.5" and L/18". The L is definitely too big. Decision between S and M depends really on what you plan to do with the bike. For FR/DH the M would probably fit nicely. But for serious DJ it depends quite a bit on your style and preferrence.

mtbr member
    there is a 18.5 on jenson usa and i am lookin at the 05 and 06 model bikes the the 05 is a 2.0 and the 06 is a 3.0

the reason i am lookin at the 18.5 is i went to a couple bike stores (non of witch have a bike i like alot) and they said i need a 18 to 19 on a couple different bikes but the where all xc trail bikes. i ride my bike really hard and i love ridin bikes with a bit of travel like 140 mm

i will be using this bike trails and just fun jumping
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Ok. Here is what you do: Visit a bike shop or ride bikes of your friends. Measure the effective top tube (TT) length of the bikes you like. Effective TT length is simply the horizontal distance between the center of the forks steering tube and the seat post. You can simply put one end of the tape on the cap of the headset and measure to the middle of the seat post. Just make sure the bike is on the ground with both wheels and you measure horizontal/parallel to the ground.

Also consider the length of the stem. Ride bikes that have an equally long/short stem like the Jamis you are looking at.

Look-up the geometry of the bike on Jamis' web site and compare. TT is the magic measurement.

I post too much.
    Definitely the smaller size for jumping, no question about it.

Trail riding requires a proper sized frame. A friend of mine is 6'' and rides my 13'' bike comfortably. Seat tube length doesn't mean **** when it comes to bike sizing, top tube length does.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Seat tube length doesn't mean **** when it comes to bike sizing, top tube length does.
    It does if you simply can't get enough leg extension though, and while there are some long posts around a huge amount of seatpost hanging out looks stupid.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    thank you guys
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0