Thread: Platform pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Platform pedals

Ok, Ive only ridden for one season. Although I really enjoy it, I don't see myself committing to clipless pedals. But I would like to upgrade to a decent set of platforms. What is recommended for basic trails, weekend biking. Something like this?
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...tform%20Pedals

mtbr member
    Yes the 5050 are good pedals. Good grip without being too harsh on the legs if you slip off. Pair them up with some 510 shoes and you'll have super grip on the pedals.

mtbr member
    You'll be happy with the 50/50's. Let me also recommend the Wellgo B77's. Usually these come in a bit cheaper (real cheap right now on pricepoint), and they're a little bit lighter too. And they just look evil. I love these pedals:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...77--Pedals.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Yes the 5050 are good pedals. Good grip without being too harsh on the legs if you slip off. Pair them up with some 510 shoes and you'll have super grip on the pedals.
    510 shoes?

local trails rider
    I have also heard positive comments about DMR V8 and V12, and Gusset Slim Jim. There's lots more but that is the style that seems to work. The warranty replacement Truvativ Holzefellers that I have now on one bike seem OK: the first pair had soft axles that bent and got stuck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruer
    510 shoes?
    They are MTB shoes made by Five Ten. The soles are made from super sticky stealth rubber found in rock climbing shoes.

Here is a deal on pricepoint, 5050 pedals with 510 shoes.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/172...0-X-Pedals.htm

Knockwood
    Yah, if you get platforms with teeth ( I like Azonic mountain X pedals myself) the FiveTens will stick your feet to the pedals like mad....

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Fed
    You'll be happy with the 50/50's. Let me also recommend the Wellgo B77's. Usually these come in a bit cheaper (real cheap right now on pricepoint), and they're a little bit lighter too. And they just look evil. I love these pedals:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...77--Pedals.htm

I roll with the B77's that Cfed posted and they rock!!!
    They hold up very well underneath my 285lbs, plus gear.
    But they will rip the SH1T out of your legs if you slip, which doesn't seem to be a problem since they grip so well.
    But I did bail off my bike to avoid riding off a cliff and the pedal caught the back of my leg and opened it up pretty good....even with my shin/knee pads. They don't do much to protect the back of your legs.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

semantic blockage
    My advice is to try harder to commit to clipless - have LBS help set up if needed. It really becomes second nature rapidly.

If you must try the platform route: I've recently set myself up with the five-ten impact low with Transition Stepdown pedals. Initial thoughts after 15 years with clipless: yes, this combo is "sticky", but I find myself reaching around for correct foot placement on pedal - where placement is automatic with clipless. I also come off the pedals a bit on jumps - I don't see how the big air crowd stays in contact (all chime in with pointers please).

The $56 pedals appear high quality - replaceable locktited hex drive pins, and well sealed bearings.
    The shoes are comfy and sticky.

Dirt Deviant
    One important thing to mention here .........

I was riding with hiking style shoes, and they didn't grip at all on the platforms. The aggressive treads of the shoes were to far spaced and didn't bite at all. With skateboard style shoes it is grip heaven.

The 5-10 shoes have skateboard style soles.

If you go platforms, make sure the shoes you wear are flat bottom.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Combination pedals?

Anybody have experience with pedals that are platform on one side and clipless on the other? Any recommendations (for these combo pedals)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbnz
    Anybody have experience with pedals that are platform on one side and clipless on the other? Any recommendations (for these combo pedals)?
    They might be ok for a commuter, or a bike to just cruise around on. But I wouldn't use them for mountain biking.

The only please I've saw them used and thought they were a really good idea, were stationary spin bikes at my health club.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wellgo MG-1. Super light (375g per pair) and grip like crazy.

Rent this space for $
    I've been using the Crank Bros Mallet C pedals almost since day one. I have the regular occassion to run around the neighborhood on my bike with just tennis shoes on but when I run with the pack on our Urban Assaults or single track, I'm always clipped in to the egg beater clip that the Mallets have.

Living the High Life
    I've ridden Wellgos and 50/50s. I thought the Wellgos were better. I've also ridden Funn and Transition pedals. I like the Transition the best, great grip, light, relatively cheap.

I ran 50/50s for 1 day at Keystone, then returned them. I have 510 shoes, but my feet slipped off like crazy, I went back to my old beat up Wellgos until I bought my Transition pedals.

If you're not comfortable with clips after trying them for a while, just move on. I tried them for a summer and said f$%k it.

mtbr member
    I'm running Odyssey TrailMix platforms with some Vans skate shoes. I love it. Griped well on my first ride with this combo yesterday.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I have the Crank Brothers 50/50 XX pedals; they look awesome, are light, and have excellent grip. I adjusted the pins to my preference when I got them and they are the best pedals I have owned so far (beating out the Wellgo B-27s, Sun/Ringle Zu-Zu pedals, and a set of Specialized pedals).
    Cheers,

Seb

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbnz
    I wouldn't get the ones that are platform on one side and clipless on the other, but I would get pedals that are both on both sides (not hard to find). Shimano pedals work well for this because their relatively flat clip surface tucks under the platform nicely when you aren't clipped in but pops out enough (springs) to make engagement easy when you want in. They have a few options (look in their downhill pedal selections if you are having a hard time finding them). They are heavy, but they have a large platform (what I have on my commuter that does double duty).

I have crank brothers candy's on my pure MTB (smaller platform than the mallets some have mentioned). Honestly the eggbeaters annoy me when I'm trying to ride clipped out (don't sit flush with the platform like the shimano pedals do). Clipped in they are GREAT. I really like them, but wouldn't recommend the eggbeater style to someone that wants to spend a significant amount of time clipped out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the platforms don't shred your legs up .. its more of a gouge effect ...

i have platforms on my bike now and couldn't be happier ... still riding with hiking shoes .. but have some 5 10s on the way ... which should just make it better for me ...

mtbr member
    I think a lot depends on the terrain where you ride. If you are on single track, with lots of uphills and turns, clipped in is perfect. If you expect to have to do lots of hike-a-bike on rocks, with stream crossings, etc...that would really suck on cleated shoes.

Last fall we went on a mountain bike vacation to Idaho Sawtooth region, and we had to do lots of hiking over tough rocky terrain. Cleated shoes don't work well in those conditions. That trip convinced me to try platforms with more comfortable shoes.

--zip

I post too much.
    The 5050's are mighty expensive for the amount of grip they give on regular shoes. I picked up a pair of cheap animal hamilton unsealed pedals, good pin placement, nice concave shape(this really is what keeps your foot on the pedals, the pins only help a little) and comes in a wide array of colours.

Check albes.com and danscomp.com, both solid websites. BMX pedals are where it's at when it comes down to grip IMO.

Members who have read this thread: 0