Planing to upgrade my bike soon but I have a few questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Planing to upgrade my bike soon but I have a few questions.

Hey every one I just joined here since I'll be upgrading my old Schwinn High Plains soon. Currently it is a 3x7 21 speed with a shimano 200gs setup I also have a cheap computer on it that I found on clearance that works pretty well for me. Recently though one of the shifters broke so I want to start upgrading here are a few pictures of it to start

My plans for now are to upgrade it to a 3x9 27 speed I'm going to try to keep it a bit more of a budget build for now since it is an older bike so I want to use SRAM x7 trigger shifters a x7 9 speed front derailleur and a x4 rear derailleur because I think those should be the best bang for my buck. I will happily accept any thoughts on that though I haven't done much more than maintenance up until now so the upgrade world is a bit new for me.

A few few questions though.
    First is it really worth upgrading to the 9 speed rear? Or will I just be wasting money on the cassette and chain that I could spend on a better 7 speed rear derailleur? I'm figuring that the extra gears will be better in the long run since I really like this bike and I would rather upgrade it that buy a new one. And that it seems that the x7 has more positive reviews than some of the 7 speed shifters do. Thoughts?

On the x4 product page that I'm looking at it said that it will work for 8 speed shifting needs but it's in the 9 speed section so does it actually work for a 9 speed?

As far as cassettes go what would be a good one to buy? I'm not really sure what to buy here so any advice will really help.

One final one I can think of at the moment is should I get new gears for the front? mine are in good shape so I was planning to just keep them.

Other stuff I want to eventually want to do is find a front suspension fork, new wheels and some disc brakes too.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check bikepedia for the specs on the bike. Some of the older 7 speed bike have free wheel ,some have a free hub ,if you have a free wheel you can't put a 9 speed cassette on that wheel.You could get another wheel. 9 speed doesn't get you a big difference between the high and low gears ,they are just closer together. Are you riding the bike with the seat that low?If you are that frame is most likely too big for you.You could replace just shifter ,that the cheapest way to go. There is another problem with that frame/fork upgrade ,you have what looks like a 1" steerer tube ,there really isn't a fork available for that frame. Also a new fork would be longer and change the handleing. To put on a disc you would need a fork ,a wheel and the disc.I would fix the shifter,and start saving for a new bike.Do yourself a favor and go some shops and test ride some new bikes.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, what he said. The problem with upgrading components is that technologies have changed so you can't always get there from here.

My completely biased opinion is to just replace the broken shifter, put in new cables and sheaths (so it shifts very well and brakes work smooth and powerful) and maybe some new tires and if needed new brake pads.

I focus on those things because that is much of the feel of riding a bike. You won't feel a 9sp cassette over a 7sp (when you're in a gear you just pedaling along, no more thinking about it than that), you won't feel a different derailleur or different crankset. You would feel a suspension fork, but since your's is a 1" threaded style you can't upgrade to the more modern style anyway, and no reason to if the bike works for your use now.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Planing to upgrade my bike soon but I have a few questions.

Like everyone else said, you're not going to modernize most of the bike without spending an arm and a leg. You'll need a new rear wheel, plus the drivetrain, and the shifters, the fork isn't doable. You could buy a used 1" fork and rebuild it if you can find the parts, maybe.. You'll only have one disc brake unless you get the bracket welded on the frame. At that point, you could get a used bike, or off bikes direct that will have all the things you're looking for, and save money.

Just fix what's necessary now, and save for a new bike. There's no point in upgrading something that's pretty much too old to upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm definitely not riding with the seat like that! Lol it's like that because while we were moving someone put the seat down and it's been too rainy to go anywhere to ride since which is a bummer because I just found some new trails recently that I really want to try. That's a good point about the fork though I'm not too worried about that at the moment but it does affect the upgrade path I have though. Maybe it is time to look at something new.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^yeah...it's new bike time^^^^^
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    I also have a fondness for old American steel (I rode that bike's bother the Sierra for over a decade) but it becomes cost prohibitive to maintain or upgrade a bike that old. You will likely be better served looking for a new bike on Craiglist or hitting up some bike shops.

mtbr member
    I'm going to start looking a Craigslist first just to see what's there. I'll go from there after I look around for a bit I guess.