Pins & needles- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pins & needles

mtbr member

Pins & needles

Ok guys, be gentle as this is the first time I have ever posted a new thread on any forum in any form.

I've had a bit of a look around and can't seem to find anything of use regarding 'pins and needles' which I get in my fingers and toes after about an hours riding. Spoke to the guys at the bike shop and they sort of said I'm not alone and basicly "harden the [email protected]#% up", although they did put it nicer. Have tried different configurations of riding positions but nothing really seems to help. I feel comfortable on the bike but just over time the old pins and needles starts to creep in and I have to stop for 5 minutes till the circulation returns to normal.

Constructive thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    take some aspirin.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Raising your riding position so less weight is on your hands may help?

Or maybe the sweep/rise of your bars is putting uneven pressure on your hands and causing circulation issues?

I have suffered in the past and have found gloves with small (not too large) gel inserds at the base of your palm help distrubte the pressure evenly and keep the pressure away from my caropl tunnel. This is a very personal thing and there is no one size fits all solution I am sure.

Failing that, ergonomic grips haelp a lot of people, Ergon make a good range for most tpes of riding.

Hope that helps, or at least is a few pointers to help you on the path to a solution. I am sure of one thing though, everybody will need and use different solutions to this same issue!

Picture Unrelated
    Velominati

Rule #5.

But in all seriousness, there is no way we can diagnose your issues over the internet without some sort of picture of your riding position.

Some general thoughts:

Toes numb - saddle shape, position, angle, and width can all be contributing factors. Your shoes (lack of proper foot bed, improper fit, sole not stiff enough) or cleat position for clipless pedals could be suspect. I would put a lot of thought into checking saddle height and saddle choice if you're going numb.

Finger numb - your riding position is causing you to have too much weight on your hands or in the wrong part of your hands. You can alleviate this to a small amount by finding a glove with ulnar nerve padding (I ran a Specialized glove like this for a while Specialized Bicycle Components : BG Gel Glove Long Finger it did help a little).

I suspect that you need to have your bike fit properly. If I were to guess your saddle is too high, your bars low compared to your saddle, and your handlebar controls are such that you need to bend your wrists to grab the brake levers. A decent bike shop would have a stationary trainer and they would put you on there and do some adjustments. Sounds like your shop doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to mountain bikes, find another one. Otherwise we'll have to e-fit you from a picture and you can guess how well that probably works.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The hands can also be as simple as too small of a grip. I have larger hands and I know that if I ride a bike with stock grips, my hands will hurt in no time.

I got a set of ODI Rogues and it made a huge difference. They are some of the largest diameter grips you can find
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

I4NI
    It gets worst! It'll move down

After adjustments are made it takes alittle while
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    hands & feet are both linked through the body by the seat. If your seat is too high it will stretch you legs too much and this can result in cramps (pins & needles).
    At the same time if its too high it can also cause you to lean too much on the bars which can play havoc with the Ulnar nerve in teh palm/wrist.

Check you sadle height as a starting point with your legs straight and heel just touching the pedal when its at 6'oclock. adjust everything else from there.
    A bike fit may cost but its worth every penny in the long term.

Also grips and gloves can assist with hands & pedals & shoes can assist with feet. These are final elements for after youve got your position set up.

Good luck

mtbr member

Cheers for the advice.

Wow, am stoked with the constructive comments I have recieved... and yes rule #5 may probably apply no matter what I do. Will post some pics of bike with me on it to show riding position. It's at the shop at the moment getting new chain, bottem bracket and service due to going to be doing my first race/event in about 5 weeks. Am thinking that after reading these comments though that I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Dummyrunner View Post
    Am thinking that after reading these comments though that I'm just going to have to suck it up.
    It's not all about sucking it up, there are many things you can do to improve your situation. A bike fit is the first thing you should be looking at, however. If you're not fit properly then you'll never fix your issues no matter what parts you try and attach to your bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was having a similar problem with numb toes after rides on my road bike; one suggestion I was given was to wear thinner socks. I thought it sounded pretty lame, but I tried it and it helped. Also make sure your soles are stiff enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    remember to do stretches and warm-up before as well, as with any activity