Petite female needs help picking mtb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well Petite female needs help picking mtb

at 4'11" and 115#, I need a very small bike. ALso, old shoulder injuries so I cant lift much. There is a santa cruz Blur on ebay i am looking at...but it may still be too big. The smallest frame I can find is a Titus. Problem: I cant find one used, and as a novice should i really spend 2.5K on a frame? Assuming I can afford it. Which I cant. Any advice????

mtbr member
    I would recommend posting in the Women's Forum here. They'll give you the best advice. In here you'll get a bunch of replies from dudes who are excited that a woman is posting They'll give good advice too, but probably not with the same experience level of women specific issues that you'll get in the womens forum
    :wq

AZ
    banned
    Alot of good advice in the womens forum .

mtbr member
    A freind's wife is short and she got a GT but I can't remember what model, and I haven't seen it, but she said it fits her fine and she is about your height.
    I know the Trek bike feature women's specific frames. You might want to check those out. Good luck to you!! And welcome to mtnbiking!! Remember to have fun!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Dirt Deviant
    GT Marathon comes in a ladies model and as small as XS.
    You can't go wrong.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_20000__61000

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_20000__61000
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member

Motolite Complete $2,450

Backcountry outlet has the Motolite Complete xs bike for $2,449. Spec'd pretty good for the price. My girlfriend has one and loves it. We both ride em.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    lots of companies make womens specific bikes, in xs and xxs.. you're limited, but you should be able to find a handful of bikes that do fit.

Hail Satin!
    I put one of these together for my girlfriend from parts I had lying around. She's 5'2" and maybe 95#s soaking wet. She has the 14" frame and it fits her pretty good. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm

Unless you get real lucky I doubt you'll find a bike that fits you used. You can check all the normal spots (craigs, ebay, etc) But you might have to go to a bike shop or an R.E.I or something like that.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

local trails rider
    There's many WSD (women specific design?) bikes out there, with small sizing. It would be great if you could try them at a local bike shop. The problem there is: the LBS might not have one.

If there's any bike shops in your area, go and see if they have any small bikes. Women specific or not.

... just stay away from $200 full suspension bikes and other such toys

mtbr member
    You might have good luck fitting into one of these specialized http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=12198 comes in size 13 which should be about for 5 footers, and has a stand over of 25.27 inches.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hopefully you live near some nice LBS's. Since you have uniques sizing requirements and some injuries I would suggest getting a professional (LBS) sizing a bike for you. It really could affect your mountain biking experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wondered over to ebay to see if I could find the frame you were talking about. Is it the 2008 white Blur frame in XS? If so and you are looking for a full suspension it looks pretty nice and according to the Santa Cruz website it would fit 4' 11". My wife is 5' 2" and she rides a 14" Haro V4. It's really set up for a shorter rider because she wants to sit upright rather than lean forward. The problem is that being a novice and probably not wanting to spend much to get started is that most inexpensive bikes are still going to weigh in the neighborhood of 30lbs even for a smaller frame. Are you looking to buy a bike that is already built or buy a frame and build it up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    xs size frames should work well. My daughter who is your size rode an xs 13 1/2 in hard tail for many years. There should be used models available. A good used higher end hard tail in that size won't have abuse that other frames develop. My daughter rode the original chain, and cassette for 5 years when you weigh under 100 lbs. the stress you put on a bike is minimal.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Not sure what type of bike you are looking for, or what kind of trails you want to ride. But since you mentioned the Blur, I'm assuming you want a full suspension bike. If this is the case I would suggest an XS (13") gary fisher cake 2. Women specific frame and suspension (genesisters) and a very low standover height. (whether you plan on doing any kind of technical riding or not) as a novice especially, being able to get your feet to the ground over your top tube can really save you if things go bad up or down a sketchy section. My girlfriend is similair in size. i found her bike for her last year on ebay brand new (never riden) '07 model with solid build kit $1,300. she loves it. It is a beautiful bike: factory paint is white with irredescent pearl flames. good luck. P.S. At your size, you must get a womens specific bike. That blur is too big for you. if you want a santa cruz, the julianna would be your best option. it is a solid bike. good luck with your quest. mountain biking rules!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should also take a look at the Trek Fuel EX8 WSD 14". My wife is 5'2" and it's just a tad small for her. I know we still have one at my shop and suspect there are a few hanging out at other shops and it should be "on sale" now so the complete bike shouldn't be more than $2k.

Fat-tired Roadie
    At your weight, not all suspension forks and shocks will be able to be tuned low enough for you. Coil forks tend to come sprung a little heavier than makes sense (to me) for the size bikes they're on. So that's something to be aware of when you're shopping.

If you're looking at saving weight, consider some hardtails. If you go with the same pricepoint, you can drop several pounds, or you can drop a few pounds and a lot of money.

Boy's bikes may fit you but if you're looking at the Blur, you probably want something higher quality than a children's bike. 26" wheels are good if you can find a bike to fit you well with them because it's much easier to find tires. However, fit's more important - if that puts you on a 24" wheel, so be it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    im really amazed no ones asked for a pic of you yet !!! good luck in your search...

Members who have read this thread: 0