Pedal Not Allowing to Clip Out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pedal Not Allowing to Clip Out

For the past year or so, I have had some troubles with being unable to clip-out of one of my pedals. I have convinced myself that constant cleaning of the cleat and pedal would keep me out of trouble, but recently, it seems to have gotten worse.

Are there any home remedies for fixing a pedal which won't easily clip out? The pedal is just a standard stock Shimano from six years ago. Nothing fancy. Will lubing the pedal prevent the sticking? Its already set at the easiest setting to clip in and out of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Double-metric mtb man
    You may wish to look at the cleats....if they are as old as the pedals, they may be worn and that could be the source of the problem.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Also is this the only set of pedals you have this problem with? If so then maybe it's time you retired them, i fnot maybe you're kind of off set on one side and may find it easier to try un-clipping towards the opposite side to what the other foot does - so both feet unclip the same direction. I actually have this problem and unclip fine with my left foot, with the heal going out away from the frame. However with my right foot I actually unclip towards the frame because I cannot rotate my heal out away from the frame - my whole damn body is twisted which causes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    clip your shoe in while not wearing it, try and clip out and see whats happening. could be hitting the sole

Your bike is incorrigible
    Silly point, but is there any debris in either your pedal or around your cleat? This goes along with Dano's suggestion. Your cleat or sole might be hitting something. Clean out the mechanism well, put a tiny bit of lube on there, and try clipping in and out without wearing the shoe.

mtbr member
    Yup forgot about what Guyechka and DanO said, known of several cases where people had trouble because of the design of the sole of the shoe - from cheapo to expensive. You either have to put a spacer under the cleat or trim the sole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member

Pedal Not Allowing to Clip Out

Thanks much for the replies. Looks like I have some things to test and work through.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If one side works and the other doesn't?

Then compare the cleat set-up and alingment side to side.
    Undo the spring tension to minimium on both sides or least equal to the working side.
    Clean the spring mechanism well, lube with chain oil.
    Apply grease to keep mud out of mechansim and spring.
    Check relaese action by hand it may be you, not the pedal.

Members who have read this thread: 0