Parts that require grease??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Parts that require grease??

What points require grease, and not just lub oil during new set up or maintenence?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    most bolts, pedal threads, seatpost (non-carbon only). chain should get oil, cables should get some sort of lube, triflow works well, so does any number of other products.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Rod
    mtbr member
    If you don't want something to seize I recommend putting some grease on it.

mtbr member
    Anything that threads should have some sort of grease. I recommend Tri-Flow Clear Grease, Phil Wood is also a top runner. Chain should get some kind of teflon based lubricant like Tri-Flow makes. The Fork Stanchions should also get the same Teflon based Lubricant.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

bi-winning
    Some forks, wheel bearings, headset, most bolts, bottom bracket threads, pedal threads, seatpost....
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Apologies for interrupting this thread, but is it okay to use chain lube, particularly Teflon based for cables like the shifters and brakes?

mtbr member
    Cables should never need to be greased or lubricated in any way. If they are not working as they used too, they should be replaced including the housing.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Cables should never need to be greased or lubricated in any way. If they are not working as they used too, they should be replaced including the housing.
    I thought I read somewhere that there should be a little lube applied to cables where they enter the housings... were they wrong?

mtbr member
    Doesnt need it, especially is you use Teflon Coated Cables like I do If you are really having issues with cable sticking or your brakes just are not what they used to be, or your it is shifting bad just replace everything, shouldn't cost you more than 30 dollars to do it yourself including the cost of Sette Cable cutters which is what I recommend.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Disgruntled Peccary
    This is only true of modern cables though, used to be that yes.. you wanted to oil the cables.
    mike

since 4/10/2009
    Those cheap bulk cables the shop sells and most stock cables on a bike should be greased (they might work without it...but they work better with it). I used a white lithium grease or phil wood grease. Now my XTR shift cables are like butter and have special coatings that don't get greased.

Most bolt threads get greased or anti-sieze (rotor bolts get loctite, however).

Alu seatposts get grease. not carbon ones.

When you pull apart hubs for service, they get grease.

I can't think of anything else that gets grease. Other parts get other lubes. But grease is thicker, displaces water, and doesn't need replacing as often, so it goes where appropriate.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Why don't carbon seat posts get grease? I've got a carbon frame but aluminum seat post, does it get grease?

mtbr member
    grease effects torque. its way easy to over torque a greased carbon fiber seatpost.

Members who have read this thread: 0