Ouch...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ouch...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Ouch...

Why didnt anyone tell me I should buy bike shorts? I went for my first mountain bike ride on thursday and my a$$ was sore the next day. . I tried to get on my bike the next day and couldnt sit on the seat. Even sitting down at work felt funny. I will now buy them with the padding and also get me a banana seat. And why must i wear shorts? cant i just tape sweatpaints around my legs?
    There should be a sticky on the proper attire to wear and must haves...like padded bike shorts. That is just not a comfortable feeling at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't forget you don't wear anything under the bike shorts.

If you're worried about the look, just wear some baggy shorts over top of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Even with the shorts you will probably still be sore the next day. I've been getting back into riding myself and where my pelvis bone rests on my saddle, I am normally sore there after a good ride. The padding in the shorts does help, but I find it wards off chaffing more so than providing extra padding for my ba-donk-a-donk. I've got a pair of Performance Bike branded shorts with a pretty good chamois that I wear under some nylon trail shorts, but I'm looking to find some new shorts myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    didnt know about the no draws with bike shorts. I guess that would be a bad idea....

mtbr member
    Woah! Good timing! I was literally just about to make a post about how the heck people ride without destroying their butts! I went for my first ride ever on my new bike around a 3-4 mile loop and by the end my butt was killing me. Still have to ease into seats today.

What I still don't understand is how a pair of essentially spandex boxer briefs with a little foam on the butt is going to prevent butt-hurt. Am I missing something??
    I have not tried them, so maybe I'm just being foolish. Until I try them I will retain my hypothesis that you people have developed advanced butt-calouses
    Spent too much time on this...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Venture View Post
    What I still don't understand is how a pair of essentially spandex boxer briefs with a little foam on the butt is going to prevent butt-hurt. Am I missing something?
    Try them first. There's a reason everyone wears them.

It's a combination of padding and chafing prevention.

I4NI
    Don't forget personal lubes can be a big help. What ever you do don't buy a softer saddle.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Time in the saddle with do much more for you than padded shorts. The more you ride the tougher the flesh covering your sit bones will get.

Stiff yet compliant
    You would have been sore even with bike shorts. Over time your bum will gradually become conditioned to sitting on a saddle and the soreness will go away.
    DON'T get a soft cushy saddle. It might provide a short term improvement but in the long term will cause far more trouble.
    Bike shorts still have benefits, just don't expect them to instantly take away your soreness.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would have to agree that you will get used to it. My backside was sore too for the first couple weeks, but I'm fine now even if I take a while out of saddle. What I found was even just wearing spandex shorts under a pair of khaki shorts were much better than my usual underoos. They don't move around and I think that makes a big difference. I have now gotten some proper mountain biking shorts cause as my rides got longer, my shorts got wetter so I think I'd rather have a material that will breathe a little better. Cheers!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 'padding' isn't as much for padding as it is for wicking away moisture and preventing the dreaded 'swamp-ass'. 'S/A can cause some hot spots, and rashes. The soreness will eventually subside to one degree or another as that is just from getting used to sitting on a bike saddle while pedaling for hours at a time.

It should gety much more tolerable as time goes on. Some take longer to get used to it than others. Sometimes a new saddle is in order if it doesn't start to get better after a few eeeks or so, but don't necessarily expect miracles if you get one before your next ride.

I would also recommend staying away from the big squishy ones as they will cut off circulation to an even larger area. The main thing is to get one that is wide enough for your 'sit bones' to be properly supported. Everyone's undercarriage is a little different in that respect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There's a whole section dedicated to this! You can bring the horse to the water but you can't....Ahhh.

And go with baggies if you don't want the fruity roadie look.

T.W.O
    If your going to use baggies, make sure you get a higher end pair like Pearl Izumi Canyons. The shorts over it have to be lightweight and breathable.. I went from spandex with cargo shorts on top to the Pearl Izumi's and they have a much more noticeable effect on ventilation. Non-baggies are the best though.. if you got a big schlong then it doesn't matter, itchiee just doesn't have much to work with. If your doing a 60-100 mile road ride you want to be wearing those spandex.. I would ride naked if that wasn't frowned upon.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Alright, the fact that over time your sit-bones get used to the pressure makes sense. I just didn't know you could train your butt to accomodate the new feel. So when I frequently got the same response from the LBS just to get the bike shorts it wasn't adding up. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Spent too much time on this...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Venture View Post
    Alright, the fact that over time your sit-bones get used to the pressure makes sense. I just didn't know you could train your butt to accomodate the new feel. So when I frequently got the same response from the LBS just to get the bike shorts it wasn't adding up. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Don't discount bike shorts. My ass is as used to being on a saddle as anyone's, but if I ever ride more than a mile without shorts it gets quite painful. So yeah, your LBS is right, the first thing you should do is get bike shorts.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find that if I wear a decent pair of compression shorts and a pair of regular (non- MTB specific) shorts, I have better results than in bike shorts/chamois and overshorts. The padding in the bike shorts leads to bunching and numbness in places I do not like to be numb.

OP, you definitely need to give your butt time to get adjusted to the saddle. You may also want to play with saddle position a bit. Minor changes in saddle position can make for major changes in comfort level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    The padding in the bike shorts leads to bunching and numbness in places I do not like to be numb.
    If it bunches up, then the shorts are too big.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    Non-baggies are the best though.. if you got a big schlong then it doesn't matter, itchiee just doesn't have much to work with.
    Im good in that department. And wearing your tights you'd probably ride without a seat attached if you could!

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find that if I wear a decent pair of compression shorts and a pair of regular (non- MTB specific) shorts, I have better results than in bike shorts/chamois and overshorts. The padding in the bike shorts leads to bunching and numbness in places I do not like to be numb.

OP, you definitely need to give your butt time to get adjusted to the saddle. You may also want to play with saddle position a bit. Minor changes in saddle position can make for major changes in comfort level.
    Same here. I just wear a pair of underarmor spandex shorts with a pair of nylon cargo shorts over top. I tried cycling shorts and I don't like the diaper feeling. I used to get a little sore after several hours on my old bike but my new bike came with a wtb pure v saddle and now I can ride all day and not get sore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To add some usefulness to my input... I recommend the Fox Ventilators for a good pair of baggies. Every once in awhile HucknRoll or Jensen has them on sale since they cost alot full price. Very good shorts that vent your goods, light weight with great padding, but the only drawback being one pocket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i too found this out after my first outing just 2-3 weeks ago.. only rode a mile and a half my first day on bike.. tried to sit on saddle the next day and it was not HAPPENING at ALL.... so i took a few days off and discovered padded shorts.. still havent bought any but i wear more than 1 layer of underbritches and cargo shorts.. after a few rides its gotten to be more comfortable....

but the biggest difference i made was when i took some time to adjust everything on bike to make it fit me like a glove.. including saddle height/angle and its forward/back position in relation to the pedals.. aswell as adding more pressure to the rear shock so it would support my fatarse a little more without compressing....

now able to go miles without soreness.. although it wasnt pleasant getting back on bike after being out of town for work for a week... im still training my rear end but after the first mile or so my rear gets accustomed to the saddle and i can pedal no problems.. also keep in mind to get your butt off the seat when its not nessicary to be seated... give your arse a break and get some wind underneath it

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Agreed! Bike shorts won't save your sore ischtubes. You gotta cowboy up. I've been riding for quite some time. I don't wear the bike shorts when I mtb, I do when I ride the train trail pulling the kid. You get used to it, but the first couple rides each season aren't the best.

Still New
    When I first started riding my butt hurt allot. It wasn't because of my clothes, but mainly because my body wasn't used to sitting that way. Another reason was because my butt muscles were being worked and that caused some soreness too. After riding for about 2 weeks or so, everything got better 100 percent and I don't have any trouble anymore. Before going out and spending allot of money on shorts, give your body a few weeks to get used to the seat and you might not even need the padded shorts.

Work in Progress
    Sep 2009
    How long or how many miles should it be before one decides to get a new seat?

I would get bicycle shorts regardless and give your self some time to get used to the seat. Why be uncomfortable when riding your new bike or seat? My first two times I riding I didn't have the chamois/diaper thing and my ass was killing me. Now I don't ride without em. I adjusted my seat as well which has made a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    while the shorts might help and adjusting the saddle with always make a huge difference... not all of us can fit the same saddle... i tried explaing this to my dad when i got my trek and he says hes never heard such a thing..and it doesnt matter.... im 225lbs and know for a fact im gonna be a little wider than some of hte guys here that weigh 150lbs.. the bontrager saddle on my trek is just a hair to narrow for me.. i can make do for the time being but i can tell my so called "sit bones" are not sitting correctly on the saddle.. if my saddle was somewhere between .5"-1" wider overall it would be like a glove....

mtbr member
    can i ask a question? why do people buy super hard saddles and then buy padded shorts? is there and advantage to this combination? im thinking weight savings maybe?

i dont own any padded shorts and i dont feel i need them. i ride about an hour everyday and after my first initial week i can say my butt doesnt hurt at all when i ride anymore my saddle has a little bit of padding but its still pretty stiff.

im a big guy but i dont have the issues Driftingrz had with the too narrow saddle.

please enlighten me fellas

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyLegs View Post
    can i ask a question? why do people buy super hard saddles and then buy padded shorts? is there and advantage to this combination? im thinking weight savings maybe?

i dont own any padded shorts and i dont feel i need them. i ride about an hour everyday and after my first initial week i can say my butt doesnt hurt at all when i ride anymore my saddle has a little bit of padding but its still pretty stiff.

im a big guy but i dont have the issues Driftingrz had with the too narrow saddle.

please enlighten me fellas
    Because a stiff saddle is better for your back as opposed to a plush saddle that experiences a break down fairly quickly, therefore giving you less support. I have a full carbon saddle with no padding at all and I feel great when the ride is over.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=JellyLegs;8164662]can i ask a question? why do people buy super hard saddles and then buy padded shorts? is there and advantage to this combination? im thinking weight savings maybe?

CORRECT
    Racing saddles are hard and narrow which tends to equal light

I dont own any padded shorts and i dont feel i need them. i ride about an hour everyday and after my first initial week i can say my butt doesnt hurt at all when i ride anymore my saddle has a little bit of padding but its still pretty stiff.

With all due respect a 1 hour ride is not a long or even decent ride by most seasoned MTB riders standards, especially given that you are probably stopping to rest now and again and your average speed will be at the lower end of the scale.
    Typically for most seasoned riders a good ride could be 25km over blue trails or around 1 1/2 hours pretty much non stop in the evenings or in excess of 50km for weekend rides.
    A typical XC race is 40km in this part of the world, and that is certainly non stop

My point being is that you really need to start doing some decent miles before the full benefit of proper shorts [Properly known as "Knicks"] will become apparent.
    Try riding 50km in standard board shorts and jockey shorts and i can gaurantee you will be in a world of pain

mtbr member
    ah so thats what it is. i need to ride more!

and you are right Jeffgre. i do ride a bit slower than i would like since my partner has been riding with for about a month and her endurance still very low. my daily hour ride gets cut in half when i ride by myself since i like to pound on my pedals whenever i can

btw, i didnt meant to hijack the thread. my apologies OP and thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wear a pair of Nike Pro Compression with mesh workout shorts over top and have no issues. I think the biggest problems are those who wear normal cotton cargo shorts to ride. Those are hot and have many pressure points due to the pockets and seams. The key is do eliminate multiple layers of fabric that can bunch and/or move around.

mtbr member
    Your a$$ is still going to be sore for a while with biking shorts on too. You have to get use to the seat. However, it will not be as bad as not having them.

Chamois BUTT'r is your friend.
    "You know you're a singlespeeder when you really don't care whether others get it or not, so you don't defend or explain it."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Another key to keeping the ride comfortable is to make sure you have the right size saddle. After my first ride on my new bike the saddle that came with was way too small. Went to the LBS and got a saddle fit, the guy installed a new one and off I went. Soreness yes, pain no more.

Now I can ride 20 plus miles and the only pain I get is in my legs.
    Last edited by widetrack; 06-21-2011 at 09:07 AM.