Opinions Please- Mtbr.com

Thread: Opinions Please

mtbr member

Opinions Please

As some may know.....I recently purchased a Department Store bike (Mongoose XR200 from Walmart). I came upon this site after I purchased it and have since found out that I made the wrong choice. I pretty much knew this going into the bike purchase, but with my second deployment to Iraq looming on the horizon, money is unfortunately better spent elsewhere.

I've found that I really enjoy riding even with the little riding that I have done since purchasing the XR200. I will defintely be purchasing a newer better bike when I get home. I'm posting a picture of the two 2005 models that should be "last years models" that I am interested in.

I still don't know much about the components and equipment that make up these bikes, so I'm turning to those that are in the know.

I chose the Trek 4300 because that's the bike that my LBS dude said is a pretty good entry level hardtail. I chose the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk because it looks comparable to the 4300 (component wise).....and, as a Raiders fan, I really like the way it looks.

I do know that they both have mechanical disc breaks, and I want disc brakes. I like the fact that your tire can be out of true and it won't be effected by pads rubbing on the tire. I also like the fact that going through shallow streams doesn't effect the breaks either with disc brakes. My question is what's the stopping power like compared to pads?

Later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go Raiders!

Freshly Fujified

Stopping power

The stopping power in general should be much better with disc brakes than with rim brakes. With this said, everything is relative. If you equip a bike with cheap disc brakes and try to compare their braking power with that of a set of high end rim brakes, then there is definite cause for debate. If your bike is equipped with a good, reliable, proven set of disc brakes (Avid BB7 is a prime example), then your stopping power will be as good as, or better than the high end rim brakes. The other advantages of disc brakes are that you do not wear down your rims (as with rim brakes), they are typically very easy to adjust (again, Avid BB7 comes to mind), and in most instances, do not require much strength when you squeeze the levers to get sufficient stopping power.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Thanks Clyde......I forgot something though......

Here are the links to each bikes specs and the like....

Specialized: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Trek: http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Moun...4300/index.php

Thanks again.....
    Go Raiders!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you can easily lock up tires with rim brakes, then most of us don't need better brakes?

with that being said,

the disk brakes are just so damn cool, i want a set even if i don't need them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    If you can easily lock up tires with rim brakes, then most of us don't need better brakes?

with that being said,

the disk brakes are just so damn cool, i want a set even if i don't need them
    Disc brakes are cool....I like the fact that you can have black rims.

Later.
    Go Raiders!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    if only you could afford a little bit more....

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11035

Wave Maker / Pot Stirrer
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ... Go with the longer fork.

Looks like Hardrock beats out the Trek. They are nearly identical, but the Specialized has a 100 mm fork and the Trek has an 80 mm. Plus, you already are sold on the color scheme, right?! Components are so easy to upgrade, twenty bucks here, forty bucks there. You just really need to find a frame you like. The rest is interchangeable. Plus, neither of these bikes will feel anything like the Mongoose. They are going to feel tighter, faster, lighter, and you will have a warranty, not like the 90 days on the Mongoose, but lifetime frame and one year on most components. Good luck in Iraq!!
    Rampage

~ Beware the good assumptions in life; the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwood
    if only you could afford a little bit more....
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11035
    Yup, that's a nice one. Thanks for the link and the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage
    Looks like Hardrock beats out the Trek. They are nearly identical, but the Specialized has a 100 mm fork and the Trek has an 80 mm. Plus, you already are sold on the color scheme, right?! Components are so easy to upgrade, twenty bucks here, forty bucks there. You just really need to find a frame you like. The rest is interchangeable. Plus, neither of these bikes will feel anything like the Mongoose. They are going to feel tighter, faster, lighter, and you will have a warranty, not like the 90 days on the Mongoose, but lifetime frame and one year on most components. Good luck in Iraq!!
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I am definitely sold on the color scheme. Do 2005 bikes hang around until next year? Just curious...what's the difference in 20 mm on the fork?

Thanks again.

Later.
    Go Raiders!

Domestic Fowl
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbill70
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I am definitely sold on the color scheme. Do 2005 bikes hang around until next year? Just curious...what's the difference in 20 mm on the fork?

Thanks again.

Later.
    20mm(about 1.27 inches) of extra fork travel doesn't automatically make the specialized a better bike. That's nonsense. Especially since the fork on both bikes is the RST Gila, which, from reading the reviews, everybody seems do dislike. The fork will likely the first component you will upgrade on either bike. RST forks are pretty low-budget OEM forks. Seems like I remember someone in the forums complaining about a specialized bike and that they had a hard time with the front-end coming up on climbs.... possibly a symptom of the taller fork. Can't remember the model, though.

The bikes are pretty equivalent. For the price range, you probably can't go wrong with either bike.

Another option might be buying a slightly better used bike for the same price. Though, admittedly, this can be difficult when you're starting out and don't know much about bikes and components.

FRC

too tired to be clever
    Jan 2005

Trek 4300

is what I bought 3.5 month ago as a beginner/entry level bike. I'm having a blast, getting into much better shape, and learning some new skills. If you have half as good a time with your choice as I'm having with mine, you'll be a happy boy.

Stay safe and return whole.