opinions on this bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

opinions on this bike

Hey, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of my new bike. I picked it up for $125, put a little work in it, but it came with all the "upgrades". Its a Schwinn al comp. I put a subroutine xcm fork on with 100mm travel and adjustible preload, a giant double wall wheelset, 160mm disc brakes (cheap but works for now), 8 speed ef-51 trigger shifters and cassette. Its a Walmart bike, but I had an older model al comp and it worked great for me. All I do is go on local trails and single-track on weekends, so I didn't want anything expensive. Pic is in the link

http://bigboxbikes.com/download/file.php?id=139

mtb
    ride it until it breaks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^^ . . . which will happen very quickly if you huck one too many of those one-foot drops on your local singletrack . . . ^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, I haven't gotten the chance to ride this one yet due to the weather, bit when I had my previous al comp, which was a different frame design Rita work plenty well enough for what I put it through... and it was all stock. The frame seems strong enough, and everything except the drivetrain has been replaced with mostly all parts off a giant that had been run over (only frame damage). So, hopefully it'll work out just fine. It's not the lightest thing in the world, but right at 30# isn't something I'm gonna gripe about.

rjx
    mtbr member
    If you are planning on riding it hard you might want to upgrade your medical insurance before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ok, I have a question. I got a bike computer. Where on the spoke am I supposed to mount the magnet? Close to the hub or the rim? Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It doesn't really matter. Most forks will be somewhat restrictive as to where you can mount the sensor - figure that out first. Route the wire along your brake cable, so it doesn't get torn off or tangled.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ok, just seems like if I mounted it close to the hub it would read faster than if I mounted it by the rim.

Ride Responsibly
    The computer reads revolutions multiplied by your tire size, you will have to input the correct tire size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bones72751
    Ok, just seems like if I mounted it close to the hub it would read faster than if I mounted it by the rim.
    No it wont.
    The sensor reads wheel revolutions multiplied by wheel diameter to get speed.
    Where you put the magnet is irelevant, whether its close to the hub or further out, one revolution is one revolution of the wheel, if the magnet is further out it will just have to travel faster around the diameter to complete the revolution but this is irelevant
    Doe that make sense?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    OHHHH! That makes a lot more sense. I knew I had to enter wheel size, but I guess I just thought it counted how fast it passed by the sensor. Thanks for the help most of you.

Members who have read this thread: 0