old shifter, new derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

old shifter, new derailleur

hi guys,

new Q:

Ive got an SRAM X-7 shifter from 2007 and I think I had an X-9 derailleur. It broke and disappeared so now my Questions:

Can I use a new X-9 derailleur with my 2007 model X-7 thumb trigger shifter? Can seem to find an answer anywhere....

also, how do I know if it was a short, med, or long cage? I have a 9 speed cog set.

thanks MTBros

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    should work as long as you have the same speed cassette, shifter and derailleur. Give your LBS a ring though, just to make sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    whoops, didnt see the second half of your question. In my experience with shopping for derailleurs for my road bike, the short is really short (about the length of your thumb), medium is just a normal looking derailleur cage (about the length of your middle finger), and long is noticeably longer than a medium.

mtbr member
    yes you can.
    about that part I've never understand that

mtbr member
    My understanding is that a long cage is for a 3X9 setup and med cage is for the 2X9 and short cage is for the 1X9. Therefore, if you have a trip front chain ring you should opt for the long cage.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I take it you're thinking of buying a new rear derailleur? If that's the case, you don't need to know the cage length of the old derailleur because it can be calculated.

What crankset are you using and how many rings does it have? The general rule of thumb follows: single ring=short cage; double ring=medium cage; triple ring=long cage. There's a more complex formula (see: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...ur-284688.html), but let's start simple and work from there.

EDIT: I took too long to type my reply. Mark nailed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes it should work.
    My Long cage X7 is 4" between jockey wheel bolts.
    My medium cage X7 is 3" between jockey wheel bolts.
    X-9 10-speed rear derailleur on the SRAM website - they are listed as 55mm, 75mm, and 99mm for the short, medium, and long versions.

One Gear
    If you want that brand new, fresh shifting feel again, replace the shift cable and housing while you are at it. If it's all from 2007, it's due.

good luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have to order my rear D online so I was worried about the combnination. The new X9's look different than the one I had...I have a 22/32/44 chain ring set...

Jan 2008
    Sounds like this is the derailleur you're after: Sram X.9 9 Speed Rear Derailleur 2010 > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

If you purchase the above from Jenson, be sure to select the "Long Cage" option.

And .40AET is right--if your cables are old, replace them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    dude thats it!!!! thanks!!!!!!! crazy... couldnt find it anywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    but Im still unsure about the cage size... I have the 22/32/44 up front and 11-34T 9 speed Cog set in the back

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flankwood View Post
    but Im still unsure about the cage size... I have the 22/32/44 up front and 11-34T 9 speed Cog set in the back
    Long cage all the way.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    And if repetition gives you any extra certainty, then yes, long cage, and replace your shifter cable. And the housing too, which has years of crud in it by now.

The various lengths of the cage is for taking up various amounts of chain slack that can happen when you have vastly different ratios. Road bikes have a smaller range of ratios than mtb's, so they can use a short cage because they don't have as much excess chain compared to a mtb.

One Gear
    Long cage is your only choice. How's that?

local trails rider
    Long cage for 22/32/44 up front.

Replace the cable and housing too.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [This is going to be a controversial view--
    Long cage isn't your only choice. Medium cage with no links removed will work great and have less hanging down. Where it won't work is when using your granny and the small rear cogs. There won't be enough derailleur to take up the slack. So you won't complete a shift into the small cogs. No big deal. No chain snap. You will never use those combos anyway. You choose-- useless gear ratios or less derailleur to get bashed.
    Here's some discussion in Drivetrain--
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...-284688-6.html

Name:  derailleur-capacity.gif
Views: 559
Size:  7.6 KBT

.44x34 starts off at zero because in that combo, all of the chain is being used up by the ring and cog, and the derailleur needs to take up none of it. As you shift through the cassette range (moving down the column), the amount of free chain increases as the cog size decreases.

Take a look at the useable gears, which I've outlined in green and yellow. Those fall near the stated capacity of the medium cage derailleurs. (I mentioned that Shimano's stated capacity is conservative, and in practice, I find their medium cage to be closer to 39T.)

For instance, in the middle ring (32) and the small cog (11), the table shows you've got to absorb 35T. This is near the stated capacity of either of the medium cage derailleurs. This gear combo remains useable, but you'd be better off shifting to your big ring for better chain tension.

You can also see that to use a SRAM short cage derailleur (30T capacity) on this drivetrain would leave you with two or three unusable gears while in the middle ring, and only about three useable gears from your granny ring. (Any number greater than 30T on the table would be near the limits of the short cage derailleur.)

Oops! Accidentally shifted into the unusable "red zone"? Nothing major: the derailleur cage folds back on itself, the chain droops, and you maybe drop the chain if you don't catch it in time.
    Last edited by eb1888; 02-11-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

old shifter, new derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Long cage isn't your only choice. Medium cage with some links removed will work great and have less hanging down. Where it won't work is when using your granny and the small rear cogs. There won't be enough derailleur to take up the slack. So you won't complete a shift into the small cogs. No big deal. No chain snap. You will never use those combos anyway. You choose-- useless gear ratios or less derailleur to get bashed.
    Here's some discussion in Drivetrain--
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...-284688-6.html
    With triple rings, you want a long cage RD, especially for a novice rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0