mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Norco Chaos / Giant Yukon advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm buying my first bike, which I intend to use for trial riding and some small drops. Right now I'm looking at a used Norco Chaos 18.5" (300 CDN barely used) and also a Giant Yukon 19" (375 CDN). Both are 2+ years old.

http://www.norco.com/2005bikes/bikes...ng=en&id=chaos
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/...in/1152/28949/

I am 170 lbs and 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I was hoping you guys could let me know if these are a good choice for a first bike, if they will fit, and also anything you think I should know.

I'm also kind of concerned that the Norco Chaos weighs 40 pounds. Will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh yeah, I'm going to take a look at the bikes tonight. Is there anything I should look for in person?

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Heavy bikes can be slow to ride uphill. I personally ride an 06 Yukon, I love mine. It is a 17". Try both, see which fits you better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode the Giant Yukon at the LBS. I think they wanted 750-800? It was a really nice bike. I choose the Motobecane 700DS because of the price. If I had to do it again I might have picked the Yukon for that rear air shock. It rides really nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^
    Unless I'm missing something, the Yukon doesn't have a rear suspension.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Since when is the Yukon full suspension? Maybe that's the newer Yukon FX, but the regular Yukon (mine included) is a hardtail with discs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an 06 or 07 Yukon, sadly I dont know which and I love it. The pedals were brutal though, so they were replaced quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Oh, sorry it was the FX. I didn't know their was a hardtail version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode a Giant Yukon, but it was 500 (US dollars). That shop is kinda pricey, though.
    I liked it, wife also liked it. Can't remember the size, but I don't 'think' it was 19. I'm 5'8 but not as long of an inseam so 19 might fit you fine. I'd try to find one to ride (or see if you can ride that one first).

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    40 lbs is way heavy...be sure to ride before you buy. Don't be in a hurry to buy the first bike you like either.

Members who have read this thread: 0