Noob Warning - This hobbie is Addicting and $$$$$- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Noob Warning - This hobbie is Addicting and $$$$$

Im pretty sure that I am not the only one in this forum. But damn you buy one starter bike, and you start to upgrade this n that. Then you start seeing other bikes on the trail and your mouth starts to water AGAIN, and you set your mind to getting one!! I swear Im on this forum and others just looking for bikes every day! Too much money being spent here and now I have 2 of my sons riding so triple wammy!! You've been warned noobs! You've been warned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got the same bug. Shoot, I didn't even really plan to ride trails when I bought my bike, I just wanted to be able to if I wanted. Next thing you know, I ride 20 to 30 miles off road each week and start spending money! Camelbak, protection, bike rack, chain lube, pump, new saddle, better platforms, 5.10 shoes, wait gotta upgrade that cheap sh*t fork that came with the bike, new tires, well, now I want a full suspension - gotta start saving!

That's ok though. It's a pretty healthy addiction to have. Sure beats boozin!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No kidding.

Just started last month and I now own 2 bikes, a rack, all the protective gear, stand and tools. Oh and upgrades are en route. My credit card company loves me...

mtbr member
    I say screw it! May as well spend the money on stuff you like!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm new to bikes....I don't even own one yet and I love looking at them.....my problem is I have too many hobbies already.

Golf: ..oh..that can be expensive....It's never my fault...it's the club or the ball's fault when I make a bad shot. Maybe a new club will help ! lol Or more lessons !

Archery: I love bows and it can be very expensive and addicting. Need new arrows and maybe a new bow every now and then...why...just because...ya know....lol

Guitar: Well....guitars, amps, pedals, speakers, rack equipment, recording stuff.....sigh. always something new coming out that catches your eye...lol

I have other hobbies as well....eh...now i'm wanting to get into this mountain bike thing....madness i tell ya ! ha

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah I was not expecting to walk in the store the other day and walk out with a 1700 dollar bike... yikes but... I wanted to save some money this year so I sold the dirtbike and started this great sport. Its nice not having to put a top end on every 30 hours! woo

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman31774
    I'm new to bikes....I don't even own one yet and I love looking at them.....my problem is I have too many hobbies already.

Golf: ..oh..that can be expensive....It's never my fault...it's the club or the ball's fault when I make a bad shot. Maybe a new club will help ! lol Or more lessons !

Archery: I love bows and it can be very expensive and addicting. Need new arrows and maybe a new bow every now and then...why...just because...ya know....lol

Guitar: Well....guitars, amps, pedals, speakers, rack equipment, recording stuff.....sigh. always something new coming out that catches your eye...lol

I have other hobbies as well....eh...now i'm wanting to get into this mountain bike thing....madness i tell ya ! ha
    I just sold a nice Telecaster today to fund either a new fork and drivetrain for my Rockhopper. Or I might just keep saving, sell the Rockhopper and go for a new bike altogether.
    Upgradeitis never ends

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I some how ended up with three bikes. Start out with a cheapie HT then upgrade to a more expensive HT then the next thing I know I got a FS. Bikes are like crack and craigslist is the dealer. I don't know what happened but my house has a bike in everyroom on the first floor?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm with you all. Last may, my neighbor gave me a 2001 Spec FSR which was in good condition. I rode it for awhile, decided that for the type of riding I was doing, I didn't need a FS bike. I sold it for $500.00, purchased a Cannondale Quick 6 and thought this is all I need for my type of riding. I started riding some packed trails and this bike wasn't good for it, so I sold it and bought a 2010 Cannondale F5, and kept it for 2 months before I decided to get a FS. I ended up with a 2010 Trek Fuel EX8, probably more then what I need, but I got the itch to get it. I love it...

Underskilled
    I for one am saving money.

Instead of having 3 x 400 bikes I sold them and have 1 bike that does everything.

apart from the 'sold' bikes were either stolen or given away and the one bike costs 3000.

dammit
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Exactly what I mean. But still hooked. Let's see gave up golf,still have 4 ATV's
    Toy Hauler, Chevy 2500, buggy, Kawasaki bikes Ninja zx10,zx9 and zx7
    One Seadoo, 21' bayliner boat oh yeah 3 RC buggies. Too many toys so little money!

Professional Speed Bump

Hey...as long as there's no one around to stop you...go to town!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I gotta warn you with old age (I'm 54) the bug is still just as bad. I can't wait to spend more money on my steeds. And I've spent a bundle. WARNING" do not get the weight weenie bug. That is an advanced version of the virus that causes you to spend unimaginable sums to save a few ounces. Why? to go faster? We'll no, it's just a sickness. My 29.5 lb. prophet has its advantages over my 25 lb sverely upgraded motolite I think just BECAUSE it is heavier. I'll pray that you guys don't get the maddness....
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    My first bike is on the way (Windsor Cliff 4900) and I can already tell that I am going to be hooked. I've been reading this forums and other sites for the past few weeks getting as much info as I can before I get into biking and I can't stop! I can't wait to get my bike and get out on the trails!
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

mtbr member
    I got tired of my $40 computer not working when it felt like it. So I just dropped $250 on a Garmin 500. A lot of money but a really cool computer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My wheeler is 2 years old and now the only stock parts left are the frame, headset and the rear derailleur. And I just found myself looking at Ti frames on the net recently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i've had my bike for 6 months and broke a rim which literally cleaned me out (im only 17 and where i live you're not allowed to work until you're 18!) and now i wanna upgrade the darn fork!

May 2009
    I am going to get a bike someday.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762
    Im pretty sure that I am not the only one in this forum. But damn you buy one starter bike, and you start to upgrade this n that. Then you start seeing other bikes on the trail and your mouth starts to water AGAIN, and you set your mind to getting one!! I swear Im on this forum and others just looking for bikes every day! Too much money being spent here and now I have 2 of my sons riding so triple wammy!! You've been warned noobs! You've been warned.

i hear ya i started out with a trek 4300 at 400 bucks and one year later i have a Titus ML1 full suspension that is a little over the 5000 dollar mark. i never dreamed of owning a bike like this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0